Knurling

1. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I have a couple of J&S, which I really like. The Marlco ones are very good, too, but quite expensive now. I've found it fairly easy to get different knurling rollers for the J&S.

Arc Tourist likes this.
  2. Kram

Kram Member

Also on my list to buy. Had a quick look on ebay, the clamp type seem to have a small max size. I might make the clamp bit from scratch as they seem simple enough. What pattern/pitch rollers are recommended?

3. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Not if you get a decent one. Here's a picture of my latest one with something for a size reference.

20200403_135157.jpg

Arc Tourist likes this.
  4. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I watched a YouTube vid a while back where the single or double roller type was clocked 3* set adjusting the height and x axis travel for DOC, you don't need to to workout the dia. I have tried it, and it worked on the piece of round I through in the lathe out of curiosity, all I did was true it up, and run the knurl down it. I’ll go root may still have it

mrsbruce and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. citizen kane Member

UK Hampshire
    I'm sure I've posted this before, left to right, good, better, best.

The one on the right, you dial in the approximate diameter and the angle knurling wheels cut material rather than trying to cold form it, very little pressure required.

[​IMG]

6. Ed. Member

I used to to a bit of knurling when I had my lathe, came in handy for anything that you need to grab or twist, or just to snazzy up a part for looks, the clamp style are much better in my opinion than the push type, although I didn't try the angled roller type it seems to me that they might be better still with regards to loading up the lathe.

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I've just seen the price of one of those....:o https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/114149859322

I'm debating with myself about getting one of these, any thoughts/advice? The attraction of the 'Indian' one would be the spare wheels. But different patterns would surely be available for the Myford one......decisions, decisions. :whistle: :dontknow:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KNURLING...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spring-L...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Kram likes this.
  8. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Get a 3 wheel one, the 2 wheel ones are not good on thin material

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Link for an 'example' please? On here I've been reading that the 'pincer' type [technical description there :ashamed:] are the best as they don't put strain on the lathe/workpiece unless supported by a steady?? :dontknow:

:ashamed:

Seadog likes this.
  10. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

11. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

I read an article in a magazine recently about making your own "cut knurling" tool. I'll see if I can dig it out and will post a reference to it.

Kram likes this.
  13. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

Kram likes this.
  14. Kram

Kram Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Seadog likes this.
  16. mrsbruce

mrsbruce Forum Supporter

I tried to watch a youtube vid by an American chap on how to do the ‘maths’ for setting up a bit knurling. He had a huge whiteboard behind him which he proceeded to fill with numbers.

None of which I understood.

Which is why I just centre my clamp knurler, switch on the lathe an wing it.

My knurling has many flaws, but my head doesn’t hurt thinking about it.:sheep:

Matchless, daleyd, Shox Dr and 3 others like this.
  17. northwest

northwest Member

No, they are a parachute for when i turn the piece a couple thou undersize.... :D

I have a couple cut knurls, especially useful when knurling Titanium, if you use a push knurl on Titanium, it just pushes back.

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  18. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Thanks Brad. Yes, they are. Made for an ex-member a few years back. They were a right bugger to make. I only had hot-rolled 1" bar that, depending on position, varied in cutting characteristics between plasticine and diamond.

Welderpaul and Brad93 like this.
  19. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Yep. Exactly why I bought mine in from the states, £50 you can’t make a pair for that.

20. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I'd have thought that was an easy enough price to beat.
    There must be a manufacturing opportunity for someone with a small capstan and time on their hands.

I did it for free but he was over the moon and I was happy to receive a nice bottle of single malt and a packet of welding rods for my time and effort. Still a damned sight cheap than the imports.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements