Keep it or return it? ( bad arrival )

1. Abec777 New Member

Hello there. I have this unfortunate event were i bought a Lorch HandyTig 180 ac/dc from amazon.de(not via a seller directly from amazon.de)
    The package arrived yesterday but was in bad condition and upon oppening i found a dent on one of the sides.
    Also the dinse connector show some marks of possible usage.
    The problem is i can only test stick welding because i dont have a torch for this yet.Ill test it today.

I already contacted Lorch to ask them if the dent could be a problem for future warranty claims and they responded with a :

"I aplogize, but we can not help you with this case.

Please contact your seller (Amazon) about this damage."

Video 1

Video 2

My questions.:
    1)Is this sticker missing normal?
    2)Would you keep this welder? If its just cosmetic wear in the end? Does lorch honor warranty claims with minor casing damage? Maybe someone had a similar situation with this.
    3) When i power the machine from the IO switch on the back it makes two "TACK" sounds from the front as it powers up. Is this normal?(ill post video later this day)

Unfortunately thats my first TIG machine and not that good start.

• 20190716_105407.jpg
    • 20190715_233115.jpg
    • 20190715_232648.jpg
  2. Your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer. Amazon are really good about returns, get it it back to them as faulty and get what you paid for, a new one.

3. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

It's amazon, they should take it back without any quibbles, and get a new one.

In reality the dent in the side won't make any difference to the machine since they are drop-rated and very well built, however your argument to Amazon is that it's a delicate box of electronics and you do NOT want a dent in it.

zx9, stuvy and 123hotchef like this.
  4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Get it sent back to amazon.

This is nothing to do with lorch.
    And it is another reason to buy via your local lorch authorised distributor.

zx9, WorkshopChris and stuvy like this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Yep, back it goes.

stuvy likes this.
  6. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    send it back...why not

stuvy likes this.
  7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Send it back.
    Document the damage and send that along with any correspondence.

stuvy likes this.
  8. stuvy

stuvy Member

Definitely send it back

9. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Easy peasy to send stuff back to Amazon, won't even cost you postage.

stuvy likes this.
  10. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Sweet FA to do with Lorch, and they even advise you to contact Amazon, where you bought it from.

They haven’t washed their hands of it, it just isn’t their problem at the moment.

Your contract is with the Seller, who then has a contract with the Courier.

stuvy likes this.
  11. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

You can look at this two ways.

Send it back and get a replacement, bit of hassle for what is a purely cosmetic issue and will unlikely have any impact on how it works or a warranty claim...it is a tool after all.

or..

Ask Amazon for a partial refund and live with the dent...if you are anything like me that won't be the only dent it receives.

stuvy likes this.
  12. MCKDAVID Member

might be well more than a dent though, you don't know what other damage has been done, no question for me, ship it back. you've paid for new, get new.. simple.

13. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Send it back for replacement.

stuvy likes this.
  14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Send straight back...why take the risk?....amazon are fantastic with returns.

That reminds me....need to sort out an ebay seller who decided not to bother sending my item....ebay are annoying....seems to take over a week to get a refund....and they wonder why we are all switching to amazon!!!

dobbslc likes this.
  15. Abec777 New Member

Yeah i started some communication with them. If i was living in Germany i woudnt even think about it. The problem is it must be sent from Greece all the way to Germany at my expense probably. The automated system says it will refund me 8 euros for the shipping... The shipping is on the 100-200 euro ballpark... Also no local Lorc dealer here.
    Ill test it with stick today. What are the chances it works ok with stιck but it has damage elsewere(ac or hf)?
    The problem is im not very sure if i can find a tig torch for me to test TIG ac and dc before the 30 days pass...

I dont bass Lorch. But i also asked them why the sticker is missing or if the machine was returned in the past? And they told me "we cannot give you that information"
    Does even lorch uses this unmarked/unnamed cardboard boxes like the one the welder came in?

16. Not the case. The shipper is responsible for the safe delivery and the return cost if damaged. You need to contact customer service. If they can't do pick up, they will refund the actual cost when you submit a receipt. Get it returned. You won't have an issue with Amazon, but just for interest your other remedy is to do a Section 75 claim with your credit card provider. You did pay with credit card of course?

I am making the assumption that Section 75 or its equivalent is europe wide? I don't actually know.

slim_boy_fat, stuvy and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  17. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

You are right but it's unlikely, it's a Lorch not a Silverline.

Plus Amazon and Lorch are aware of the damage upon receipt so there's no issue if a warranty claim were to arise.

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  18. MCKDAVID Member

Lorch or silverline makes no odds when its been launched from one side of the stores to the other. OK certainly lorch is better quality, no debate, but given the way some of these couriers handle the goods, its still an unknown quantity after damage. If you want to risk it to gain a few quid, and potentially very expensive repairs later (again the difference between silverline and lorch) against a new machine with full manufacturer warranty, that's your choice... Crack on, I know what I'd be doing with over a grands worth of kit...

19. Moose McAlpine

Moose McAlpine Member

At the end of the day you pay good money for a top quality machine. Why live with a dent? If you knew about it prior to purchase and it was a scratch and dent discount that would be different.

I'd send it straight back and get an intact one.

slim_boy_fat, MCKDAVID and stuvy like this.
  20. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

I'd be sending it back even if it was a hundred quid buzz box let alone a decent rig.

Maker, slim_boy_fat, daleyd and 2 others like this.
Advertisements