Just purchased another bike project.......Bandit 600

1. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I had the later version, loved the smooth engine. I mostly pottered along until some hoon in a car thought they were quicker than this old geezer on a bike :laughing:

Bandit20.JPG

8ob and Exuptoy like this.
  2. This morning I decided to refit the exhaust so it’s straight!!! Then I removed the fork caps with the bike jacked up to take the pressure off the forks, to expose these.....(whilst it was off I stuck in about 25ml of oil to each fork).

[​IMG]

Then I dug out an old pair of preload caps which were given to me some time ago, I think from a Fazer 600???

[​IMG]

I spoke to my tame machinist (Darren :) ) after doing some measuring and asked him to make me 2 x spacers 36mmOD x 12mm thick with a 10mm x 2.5mm dimple to take the adjuster and keep things central.
    Which look like this.

[​IMG]

And after a bit of swearing trying to squeeze it all together they look like this

[​IMG]

And the bike is now back in its wheels and feels a little firmer with 3 notches or preload in the rear and the rebound adjusted for a bit more return in the rear which also means that with the adjusters I can now dial in a further 17mm on the front if required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The RH rear indicator wasn’t working which was just a poor contact on the lamp and I need a new switch for the front brake lever then it can go for its mot.

8ob and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Great thread,great bikes the 600 and the bigger brothers:thumbup:..heres my old one in 2015

• bandit 1.JPG
    • DSC_0089 (002).jpg
  4. Nice bike that. I especially like the polished fins on the block. Is that a Bott tool box I spy near the garage door? I have a drawer with a lower cupboard and a 2 door cupboard. Got them from a factory I worked at when they closed.

roofman likes this.
  5. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

LOL old keen eye you...yes mate it seems to be. ;)and those fins took me a full day with a small file too

6. RichardM Member

preload adjuster - worth machining the other side to keep the spring central as well.

Exuptoy likes this.
  7. Well, I have been thinking about taking a little off so it will give me the opportunity. The problem is I don’t know how much of a spacer is required. There is currently roughly 23mm of spacer if you include the bottom of the thread and threaded boss. The adjuster gives a further 17mm so there’s plenty in reserve.

8. monky harris Member

A mans gotta have a hobby...:p

Exuptoy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. Decided to change all the caliper seals last week and put in a new set of NGK plugs. Took it for the MOT and it passed with no advisories and a few complimentary remarks from the tester.

It surprised me how well it went and it’s propensity to rev! I forgot how good these Mk1 bandits were and the handling with the 1200 shock and front preload spacers was a revelation. Ok, it’s no sportsbike but I was pleasantly surprised.

9F521791-6C5B-42A4-BB2A-0A3FFE92B463.jpeg

10. A few days after the above photo I got the bike home and popped inside to dump my lid and jacket and once back outside I got on the bike to stick it in the garage and nothing, not even a click from the solenoid.

Yesterday was the first chance I have had since to rectify it.

So I removed the headlights, pulled out the loom from behind the headstock (well there is no 7inch headlight there anymore to hide the loom) and thought the ignition switch to be the culprit as the dash lights were on but nothing else. Checked the 3 x switch contacts, and I had 0.1 ohm on each end of the ignition and 100ohm on the centre contact which I assumed to be a resistor as is usually the case. The manual pointed to the safety relay which should enable the starter once the bike is in neutral OR the side stand is up. Measuring across the switch showed no resistance when the stand was up or down. I fashioned a bridge from an old bit of wire, shorted it out and bingo up she went. The wire has been left in as a temporary measure until one arrives from eBay.

So, normality is resumed once more.

dobbslc and roofman like this.
  11. I've just managed to source an as new (300 mile) K-Tech DDS Lite rear shock for the MT-10 for half price (£900 new) so the Bandit is now up for sale on Gumtree for £1150, firstly to pay for the shock and to free up some room in the garage.
    Time for someone else to benefit from a useable classic Suzuki. Once my new garage is built I'll try and find something worthwhile to get my teeth into. Once I do I'll get the work on here for anyone who is interested.
    That also means I'll be able to get stuck in to my 1973 Type 2 Camper project which is on here somewhere.

12. stuvy

stuvy Member

What will you replace it with

13. Already have a brand new Yam MT10. Just need to spend time riding it.

dobbslc and stuvy like this.
  14. stuvy

stuvy Member

Amazing bike, my mate had one last year and I was stunned with how good it was

Exuptoy likes this.
  15. It really blows me away. It has an excess of power and feels special.

16. stuvy

stuvy Member

And then there’s that sound track

17. Oh yeah!:thumbup:

18. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

Think you're Rossi!!!

stuvy likes this.
  19. Haha, most definitely!

stuvy likes this.
  20. stuvy

stuvy Member