Just purchased another bike project.......Bandit 600

1. I did mention this a few weeks back but thought it was worth putting up here.

Well, as per the title I was looking for a 90's Fireblade and got let down twice, so just went on to Gumtree, and instead of searching for specifics, I just picked Motorcycles and scooters and in the first half dozen bikes was this 98 600 Bandit that had been sat in this guys garage after failing its MOT back in 2011, and it just so happens it had only been posted an hour or so before and even better it was only 1/4 mile from home.

So, I messaged the guy and he never got back to me till the following morning and said he wouldn't be back until the afternoon, but there had been a fair amount of interest, but being as I was local and was amongst the first responders he thought I should come and see it first.

So, off I went and viewed the bike and lo and behold, it was in fairly good order aside from what it had failed the MOT on some 8 years ago! Namely seized brakes, a missing chain guard!!!, a rear shock which had lost its BOING (and was nowhere to be found in the garage....:) ) and a flat battery and it wouldn't run, probably due to the fuel left in the float bowls 8 years before, so I stuck a spare (incorrect format) battery on there but at least it turned over and wasn't seized.

Anyway, I made an offer which was duly accepted, so off I popped to get the payment and collected my trailer on the way back. Admittedly I'd like this to have been a 1200 and the Blade search may have been postponed, but this is what I purchased and I'm pretty much looking forward to this.

$_86.JPG

IMG_9430.JPG

This was all of one whole day before going back offshore and I still had to go to Magor Services near the Severn Bridge to meet @puffernutter to sort out his motor mover project and my new bike lift!

I have since purchased a used low mile 1200 Bandit shock which should lift the arse end a little due to it being 6mm longer, which should have the added advantage of tipping the bike in quicker, along with a set of cheap Renthal style low rise Superbike bars (copies), a pair of cheap bar end mirrors, a set of free Oxford heated grips (free with a magazine subscription) and a new battery (cheap :) )...............(you can see where I'm going with this ride....it's gonna be cheap!).

So, I'm now back from offshore and only have a few days before I have to attend a 5 day Compex course as my ticket is just about expired, so I'm not sure how much I'll get done, but it starts tomorrow, so stay tuned.........

....oh yeah, it has also been pointed out to me that the number plate is a doozy, and mythbusters proved it so lets see if you really can polish a turd! :)

ronan, delta9, 8ob and 4 others like this.
  2. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

Nice looking forward to the updates

Arc Tourist likes this.
  3. monky harris Member

That's a classic now..
    I've come got an 02 1200...awesome bit of kit..:cool:

Exuptoy likes this.
  4. I had a 1200 bandit, great bike.

Morrisman and Exuptoy like this.
  5. Pete.

Pete. Member

Check the electrics all work especially the instrument cluster back lights. To fit those twin spots you have to pull all the wiring out of the headlight bowl and tuck it away somewhere, but the bowl is what protects the loom connectors from the elements. If someone hasn't put enough thought into it the weather can get into the loom and rot the wires to the multi-plug connectors and I've even seen the earth junction hidden in the loom rotted away to powder on one of my Bandits. An early sign of this is you lose the cluster lighting.

monky harris, Wallace and Exuptoy like this.
  6. Cheers Pete. Will have a look once I get the new battery delivered later today.:thumbup:

7. pod70 Member

Should keep you busy. Worked on a few Bandits and the build quality isn't great so expect to drill out a few bolts and please change the headlight, those twin light units are one of my pet hates :laughing: although it seems as though just about every Bandit in the country has them fitted....

Exuptoy likes this.
  8. Haha, you're not wrong, however I do like them. Gives it a streetfighter feel.

stuvy likes this.
  9. Removed the grab handles and run them over the wire wheel before polishing them.

[​IMG]

Removed the air box and sprayed acetone (it’s all I had handy) in there when turning it over. I did drain the float bowl first tho to at least purge it of old stale fuel.

Stuck the tank back on losely and it seems to be running just fine.

monky harris likes this.
  10. Now I know it’s a runner I’m happy. Been back up the cave and fitted the rear shock. That’s the start of the improvements.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

slim_boy_fat and roofman like this.
  11. Well, that’s the basics done. I scrubbed the chain today with parafin and re lubed it with Wurth dry lube and it looks like new! Got all the bodywork back on after a quick polish, I stripped both front calipers and popped out the pistons, cleaned them up and gave them a coat of red rubber grease and managed to clean the rear caliper piston and worked it with a coating of red rubber grease but didn’t strip it as it wasn’t seized. I also modified an SV650 chainguard to fit.

Front calipers bled up nicely and there’s a firm lever. If I can get it insured I’ll see if I can get it MOT’d tomorrow otherwise it’ll be next weekend as I’m on a course all week next week.

[​IMG]

12. jimmy1967

jimmy1967 Member

Cant beat a good old bandit, cheap, robust, parts are plenty and easy to mod

ronan and Exuptoy like this.
  13. I like your avatar, your Bandit looks a bit special, do you have a build thread on here?

14. It looks like a 1200 turbo? Is that a Spondon arm?

15. jimmy1967

jimmy1967 Member

no buid thread mate, 1200 turbo, steeheart arm

• 36914117_10155835111157773_4872237134242643968_n.jpg
    Ruffian, stuvy, roofman and 3 others like this.
  16. Neilios Member

North East
    Yes that is very cool, I like the arm and tail, it suits the bike nicely. Had many a Bandit over the years and great bikes.

Exuptoy likes this.
  17. Looking at that turbo, there appears to be a lot of one off part, carrier bearing, hydraulic clutch, fork sleeves, massive yokes, spoked rims.....someone has spent a LOT of money on that!

Ruffian likes this.
  18. Morrisman

Morrisman Member

I had one too, and looking back it would have made a better touring bike than my current BMW, but at the time all it did was make me want to ride like the wind everywhere. :ashamed: Huge, seamless power, pulls smoothly from 20mph, handles well, fairly light......

But I bought this and later sold the Bandit back to the guy I bought it from.

9F181544-F02F-4369-8BD1-7BEC694407DE.jpeg

Exuptoy likes this.
  19. jimmy1967

jimmy1967 Member

would hate to add up what i,ve spent on it over the years i,ve owned it

Ruffian, stuvy and Exuptoy like this.
  20. jimmy1967

jimmy1967 Member

Its changed a bit lol

• FB_IMG_1487107459083.jpg
    • IMAG0084.jpg
    • FB_IMG_1471978921249.jpg
    Arc Tourist, Exuptoy and monky harris like this.
Advertisements