Jointing box section advice

1. bigegg

bigegg I don't drink, but I still think I know things.

put a cup of motor oil inside the tube before finally closing them up. the heat of the welds should vaporise enough of it to coat the inside.
    for the outside, i like toolstations rustins primer. its got bad reviews, but you MUST thin it with XYLENE thinners and then its fine.

nitram and jimbo84 like this.
  2. roblane65

roblane65 Member

What are going to use to clad the outside of the steel frame ?

nitram likes this.
  3. SierraV6 Member

He said roof tiles, presumably fixed to battens.

nitram likes this.
  4. nitram Member

Thanks all
    Yes i am using reclaimed rosemary roof tile, point i am at at the end of today a few tiles to go in then i need to cut the top row to match the bond of the others,

I am very pleased with the vertical tile it looks good,

A couple of pictures.

20200421_193325.bak.jpg 20200425_195654.jpg 20200425_195708.jpg 20200425_195746.jpg

5. nitram Member

Thanks mate i ended up using some black bitumen paint that was for the flash band it appears ok the structure will only be up for a few years.

SierraV6 likes this.
  6. daleyd

daleyd Member

Can you please stop posting pictures now please, in the time it’s taken for you to complete this I have been contemplating mowing the lawn, but still haven’t got round to it :(

7. nitram Member

Shake yourself up man and get something done.

slim_boy_fat and daleyd like this.
  8. nitram Member

Hi a bit more progress today i finished the tiling then cut the top row to suit,

Then it was back to cutting and welding, first job was to put a block of timber in the ground to brace the floor on the 4mtr run, so i dug a trench then dropped the timber in,

Then it was onto the cross beams i half lapped the center joints and butted the ends up and welded,

I still need to brace to the timber to stop any bounce but i will do that before the floor goes down,

A few pictures.

20200427_131830.jpg 20200427_142414.jpg 20200427_143636.jpg 20200427_152303.jpg 20200427_185631.jpg

9. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

I'm guessing your a chippie with the use of these joints.

nitram likes this.
  10. nitram Member

Kitchen fitter by trade, hard work putting a butt and scribe on metal lol.

barking mat and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    You're taking all the strength out of the hollow section by doing it like that. Leave one of them alone and simply butt the others up against and weld. Probably going to be fine in your application how you've done it, but you could have saved a lot of time, trouble and slitting discs just doing it the usual way.

12. nitram Member

I don't think it takes all the strength from it my initial question was regarding strength and was answered

One reason it was done this way was because i am not a welder half butting is a fail safe way if the weld breaks the conservatory wont fall down, how ive half butted the joints the structure is self supporting,

Total number of half buts was 10 taking 2 minutes for each section cut so ive wasted 20 minuets of my time something i have plenty of atm is time :-)

Thanks for your input.

13. SierraV6 Member

It’s looking good, really coming on! Regarding the joints, that’s fair enough I can understand doing it like that if you don’t fully trust your own welding. It does look very ‘chippy’ though! :laughing:

nitram likes this.
  14. nitram Member

Thanks mate my welding improves every time i pick the gun up its probably ok but best safe than sorry,

It was so easy doing it this way bolted the main beam to the wall and followed round one section at a time with a levelling leg on the end squared it up then welded no messing around with bricks trying to level it up and ive got the same result at the end of the day,

All the box section will never be seen chippy or no chippy joints lol.

15. nitram Member

Not much to report today but i did get all the glass in, the rain gave it a leak test all is well,

A bit of snagging to do on the outside i need to get a water butt and plumb the fall pipe into it, a bit of trim to go on then the patio,

Still a bit of work to do on the inside electrics floor little studded wall window board skirting and plasterboard and plastering.
    20200428_170847.jpg 20200428_170913.jpg

jimbo84 likes this.
  16. nitram Member

A bit of an update,

Ive not done much work inside but i did put some insulation in the dwarf wall and boxed it in,

The last few days ive been doing some landscaping on the outside its still work in progress but coming along slow but sure.

DSC_0114.JPG DSC_0117.JPG

17. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

Looks good :thumbup: Artificial grass?

nitram likes this.
  18. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

^^^ if he could get grass growing that fast that good without plastic grass id be supprised

nitram likes this.
  19. nitram Member

Thanks mate,

Yes artificial grass, i was going to put Indian stone down all round but decided on grass (better for the grandkids) for the front Indian stone for the side, i need to pick some silicon sand up to brush in.

20. nitram Member

Just a quick update on this project the end result on the inside.

DSC_0037.JPG DSC_0038.JPG DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0045.JPG DSC_0046.JPG DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0049.JPG DSC_0052.JPG

jimbo84, bigegg, daleyd and 3 others like this.
Advertisements