Jointing box section advice

1. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

What material/sizes/spacings for your joists? Looks like they are using steel for theirs.

Ianb likes this.
  2. nitram Member

I will be putting two 90x90 cross beams in the floor one at 2mtr on the length of the structure and one at 1.5 mtr on the width that will leave me with four sections approximately 2 x 1.5 mtr, they will be filled with timber the spacing's depend on what size timber used i haven't got the timber as yet.

3. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

It's not as good as it used to be, it's quite thin now compared to how it used to be, I've used it with good results but not for anything critical. I'd go for something that hardens a bit more, something like a tractol primer or depending on budget something like a Jotun epoxy primer, probably a bit overkill really but won't do any harm.

nitram likes this.
  4. nitram Member

Thank you Jim its not really a case of my budget its what i can get my hands on at these worrying times, i will see if i can locate your suggestion if not i will get the primer mentioned and maybe add gloss over the top many thanks.

jimbo84 likes this.
  5. nitram Member

Hi cracked on today bolted one section to the wall using M12 rawl bolts fixed the leveling legs M22 threaded rod put the concrete block foundations in on the perimeter squared it all up and welded it up in sequence i kept checking for being square and all ended well,

Next job is fabricating the dwarf wall.

DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0031.JPG DSC_0032.JPG DSC_0034.JPG DSC_0037.JPG

6. tom 748

tom 748 Member

if its on the ground you will have to paint,and put some membrane under it

nitram likes this.
  7. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Paint it even if it's not on the ground. There'll be a lot of condensation forming on it.

nitram likes this.
  8. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

And close the open ends with plates and welds to stop it corroding from the inside.

If it's airtight the corrosion will stop when all the oxygen is used up in converting steel to rust.

I also think Jotamastic 87 would be a perfect paint for the outside of the box.

You are doing a really nice job there.

nitram likes this.
  9. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Why didn't you weld the captive nuts on the bottom of the steel leaving the top untouched and flat for sitting the wall on

nitram likes this.
  10. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

I thought that at first too but he is flipping them over so the nuts are on the bottom. (last pic).

nitram, Dcal and the snooper like this.
  11. nitram Member

Thanks its just of the ground there is already a membrane in place from decking that was there previously yes i am going to paint reason i asked about paint previously

Thanks i will be doing once all the structure is welded up.

Thanks the structure will only be in place for 4/5 years i was going to fill the ends with expanding form, i will see if i can locate that paint not many places open atm, thank you for your kind words.

I have as Jim says i also extended the plate over the half lap for extra strength on the levelling legs obviously its a weak point i have 6 levelling points on the perimeter i will add more to the floor when i start on that,

You've got it Jim :-),

Many thanks for your input keep safe.

jimbo84 likes this.
  12. knighty Member

most places are still posting paint etc. out if you order online

atomant48 and nitram like this.
  13. nitram Member

Thanks i will have a look this evening and get some ordered.

14. nitram Member

Hi today's progress,

I need to put a few vertical supports in the dwarf wall but i will do that before the glass goes in.

DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0041.JPG DSC_0042.JPG DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0048.JPG

duncans and jimbo84 like this.
  15. tom 748

tom 748 Member

mind the middle ones

16. nitram Member

Sorry tom you've lost me ?.

17. tom 748

tom 748 Member

centre box sections for strength

barking mat and nitram like this.
  18. nitram Member

I will be putting a few in Tom i am vertical roof tiling the dwarf wall and need to fix roof lat i have some 70x40 box i will use that for the verticals.

DSC_0043.JPG

19. tom 748

tom 748 Member

good work,keep it going

nitram likes this.
  20. SierraV6 Member

I’ve been following this, looking good so far!

If you haven’t bought the paint yet or are struggling to get hold of it, Bonda Rust Primer (AKA Bondaprimer) is great for architectural steelwork and is relatively cheap. I’ve left steel posts and gates coated in it for months with no sign of corrosion. The red oxide stuff that Screwfix etc. sell offers little or no protection (it may actually be porous) and needs to be top coated, I learnt that the hard way!

nitram and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements