Jaguar xjr8 rebuild

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I just hope that @roofman doesn't take that personally.....:laughing:

owas and stuvy like this.
  2. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

My dad dragged a mini across a car park, it was overhanging the hitch on his Citroen DS, when he started it did its pulling its boots on and standing up, lifted the front wheels of the mini about 6" off the deck...

Dave H. (the other one)

Wallace, Dcal, Robotstar5 and 3 others like this.
  3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Yep....we had about 6 months of constant punctures.....every time I would drive down the alley to my garage I'd get a flat. Then one day I saw my neighbour spreading his building waste in the alley...I lost my cool that day!

slim_boy_fat, dobbslc and stuvy like this.
  4. Melvyn Best Member

B
    But roofman wouldn’t hit a man with glasses , or would he?

5. stuvy

stuvy Member

Like me he would head butt him first then hit him

6. owas

owas Member

Well now the real work begins,

Every nut and bolt came out without a problem, didn't even have any penatrating oil, genuinely amazed considering how scabby it is under here.

Getting it back under looks like it'll be fun though, it dropped off my jack and I had to drag it out from under the car, what do people use to get subframes in and out?

The plan is to completly refurb the underside, got a lot of learning to do on the way ..

• IMG_20190907_182317.jpg
    fizzy likes this.
  7. owas

owas Member

What I'm not impressed by is the complete lack of paint above and around the subframe, it's practically just primer

8. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

We've only ever done it three handed.

Subframe on a large piece of 18 mm OSB/Ply/MDF whatever was at hand then on the jack. Piece of wood large enough to pick up all four inner wishbone mounts, then get the jack at the centre of gravity.

Me driving the jack and a son at each wheel arch guiding the coils into position.

9. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

When I swapped the rear axle on my Defender the manual said it was a 3 man job, but I did it on my own with a trolley jack to lift and a couple of ratchet straps to guide it into position, I strapped the axle to the jack first.

10. CompoSimmonite Member

I'm "billy no mates" so always do things on my own. If necessary I build whatever's needed to lift components into or out of place.

11. owas

owas Member

It's a good while away before it needs to go back in so I'll worry about it later ..
    For now getting the subframe broke down has been a real pain,
    Snapped 2 bolts, forgot to loosen the hubnuts when it was in the car, now I'm not sure how I'm going to do it,
    My Hitachi impact let out the smoke so I'm hoping the cheap electric one I've just ordered can get some of these stubborn botls out, and maybe last the whole job :laughing:

12. owas

owas Member

I spent an hour after work today pressure washing the back 1/3, it's all abit scabby where they didn't undercoat it,
    I'll find out when I fo over it with a wire wheel , but I don't think any of it will need welding here.

• IMG_20190912_192923.jpg
    • IMG_20190912_193020.jpg
    • IMG_20190912_192959.jpg
  13. owas

owas Member

Not brilliant :(
    At least it's all now in bits, I made sure not to take any pictures to make reasembly that much harder :D:laughing:

• IMG_20190914_165809.jpg
    Gragson likes this.
  14. CompoSimmonite Member

I'd replace that arm (secodhand part) rather than welding.

15. owas

owas Member

Heres a nice bodge on my shock absorbers :doh::doh::doh:

• IMG_20190914_151525.jpg
  16. owas

owas Member

Decided to fix the a frame, as the rest of it is still solid (thank you diff leak) and a used one is around £200.

I'll weld it up at work,
    My welder is inacsesible right now, I need to get something smaller.

Has anyone used the chassis in one paint from coroless? I'm thinking of painting everything with it.

• IMG_20190915_142437.jpg
    • IMG_20190915_153023.jpg
  17. owas

owas Member

Wouldn't normally grind down the welds on a repair but it needed to be flush, just the thread to repair and my friend will push out the big bushings, want to start painting

the shocks are £300 a peice, budget certainly will not strecth that far and they work fine, so cleaned up the rust back to shiny steel, cut out the bad previous weld and redid it properly, the green powder coating they use at work is almost bilstein green, so I just threw them in there, not sure how well it will hold up. (Bushes ofcourse will be new, just together so I don't loose anything)

Quite bad before

• IMG_20190920_164507.jpg
    • IMG_20190920_163823.jpg
    • IMG_20190914_151517.jpg
    Parm and jpmillermatic like this.
  18. owas

owas Member

Citric acid worked a treat on these wishbones :)

In using the chassis in one paint which is apparently a rust converter,primer and tough top coat, we shall see, seemed to get good reviews though.

Cleaned up all the parts best I could, don't have a before but everything was pretty much as bad as the wish bone

• IMG_20191006_134429.jpg
    • IMG_20191006_134437.jpg
    • IMG_20191006_154306.jpg
    • IMG_20191006_160506.jpg
    slim_boy_fat, jsf55 and jenki like this.
  19. owas

owas Member

Sprayed a few of the bits yesterday, lovely Matt finish with this corroless chassis paint, I'll be doing the entire underside in this.

• IMG_20191010_200011.jpg
    • IMG_20191010_201959.jpg
    • IMG_20191010_201959.jpg
  20. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Just looked that Corroless paint up and it looks good stuff, I wish I had some last weekend doing the rear shocks on my truck!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements