Jag/Daimler V8 Resto.

1. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Generally the way to sort out this sort of thing is to start with the inner structure (floors and sills under the cabin), then work outwards to the outlying structure and panelwork. Always do one bit at a time (1 sill or one corner) and don't start on the next until that's finished.

Not clear from your photos what the structure is like. Worth a good look underneath with a screwdriver to suss out what every bit of structure is like.

My dad used to have a 250V8. Sold a few years ago as he only ever used it to get to the MOT station. I borrowed it only once and ran over the dog :o. Lovely car to pilot though.

2. simon718

simon718 needs to stay off ebay

Norn' Iron
    Oh dear malcolm, bet you were popular after that :whistle:

Looks like a sweet project mate, hope the rest of the rot isnt too severe. Have you managed to drive it to assess what state the gearbox is in?

3. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

The dog was OK fortunately. Silly old thing went to lie down in front of the front wheel while I was trying to get the thing to start.

4. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    I ran a dog over in the van. Might have something to do with running on veg oil :whistle:It did walk off :laughing:

5. simon718

simon718 needs to stay off ebay

Norn' Iron
    Dont think id ever be able to forgive myself if i ran over a cat/dog...

6. madkayaker

Cumbria
    I didn't have much choice it just ran out in front of me and went for the front wheel. It walked away with no limp etc

7. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

It hasn't been driven since the trip back from MOT in '84 and everything was mechanically fine then. It only failed on the rot!

8. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Sorry, we briefly moved onto a "which pet have you run over" thread there.

So what's your rot like underneath? These cars did seem prone to rot underneath.

9. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

Cats.

10. i killed my pet cat, it ran out on me and my front wheel hit him in the back, poor bugger died in my girlfriends arms with blood trickleing from his mouth

we were on a motorbike

11. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

I hope the bike didn't get damaged.

12. madkayaker

Cumbria
    bet you were on bedroom ban for a while

13. eddie49 Member

It looks like the O/S jacking point has already had a patch on the floor.
    Panels and parts are available from SNG Barratt, Martin Robey, and David Manners.
    Daimler V8 owners can join the Daimler & Lanchester Owners Club.
    Complete jacking points are available for all 4 corners, and they are very substantial constructions, but they do need to be welded to something solid...

14. jimmy shoes Member

south wales
    how much would it cost to get it dipped it would be easier to get it dipped first

15. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

Just how 'easy' exactly?

16. jimmy shoes Member

south wales
    it would get rid of all the filler and rust etc

17. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

I'm buggered if I'm going to strip the whole car down to the shell.

It'll be MOT'd this summer, mark my words. :whistle:

18. nellway Member

London
    With the VDP 1300 I thought I could get away with a rolling restoration - big mistake.

If I'd stripped it out completely and rebuild the body shell with everything off and out of the way it would have taken half the time and been a lot tidier. As it is I am now taking the engine out to get at a subfame mounting point I missed.

With the Aston we went for a complete nuts & bolts off resto - this would have been great if I didn't then have it galvanised and clog up all the captive nuts...

Anyway - moral is, a complete strip down will mean you find EVERYTHING that's wrong and needs fixing.

19. speaking of big jags... err... i just sort of bought one!

i went to buy an oddball little car and bought a 67 jag 420g

its a 4.2 litre straight six, its seventeen feet long, over 6 feet wide (the widest car ever made in britain) and weighs about 2 tonnes

the missus is going to kill me!

20. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

Blimey, I must be lucky cos my missus not only helped push it into the garage, 5 minutes later she was inside the thing tidying it up!

Show her how much they're worth 'done-up' after spending only a few hundred quid.

Advertisements