Jag/Daimler V8 Resto.

1. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

Right, it's my first restoration so where do I start?

[​IMG]

2. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I find a nice cup of tea helps while I think about what to do next.

3. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    Tea and biscuits

4. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Blimey Robo!! that really sounds like a maintenance guy!!!!:scared:
    Hehe...oh yeah...you are!
    They do that all the time in our factory, having tea and thinking what they'll do next...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Don't worry, 66-V8! i'm sure help is on it's way, we have loads of members who do restorations!;)

5. rusty69bus

rusty69bus moving to the goldcoast

make a list of what you need part wise, start with a piece of A0 sized paper.take some photos

6. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

Ok, I've photographed the paper, what next?

7. madkayaker

Cumbria
    make a big list of parts.

8. rusty69bus

rusty69bus moving to the goldcoast

give it a pet name

9. Rusty

Rusty Member

South West
    :laughing::laughing:
    The price of those front wings aint so funny though :o

10. madkayaker

Cumbria
    a lady's name is best as it will become your other wife

11. fungus

fungus Member

Macclesfield, UK
    Practical Classics magazine are currently running a series of articles on a 68 Jag mk2 restoration. Might be worth getting hold of some back issues if you haven't been following it (might be able to scan/email if needed but I don't have them all).

Failing that, tea and biscuits sounds good.

12. bill_gj

bill_gj Tired and irritable

Hockley, Essex
    Do a good job. I hope that you at least have most of the floor to start from.

Them Daimler V8s weren't exactly road burners but that were luverly. Jag styling with the Daimler grill and that V8 burble.

13. Take a lot more photo's. A lot, lot more. If you've got a digital camera it costs nowt and you can never have too many showing what went were.
    Be nice to see a few more of them on here too.

14. spend all your effort getting it watertight and rustproof first, dont spend a penny on the engine/brakes/interior until thats been achieved

lots of people give up when theyve run out of money half way through a restoration, theyve normally spent a grand having the seats retrimmed and had the engine rebuilt and still have a rusty shell, but it now owes them a few grand more

if you want to keep the car for some time, keeping it rust free is the main aim, if you have to paint it with rattle cans because youve spent youre budget on seam sealer and dinitrol then so be it

15. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

Thanks for replies, tea/biscuits sorted, missus sorted (she's keen to help with resto!), new mig+mask sorted. No petname as yet.

This is the worst part...
    [​IMG]

On the whole though, it's not that bad bodywise...
    [​IMG]

I just want to end up with a tidy usable car rather than a polished trophy used on the 3 sunny days we get each summer.

16. andypocock

andypocock Member

Langstone
    I think this would be a good idea. They seem to be doing a pretty good job of showing you how don't to do it from which you can learn a lot.

Mind you they managed to weld a Midget up so badly that the doors didn't close so I'm not really too surprised that they are struggling with the MK11.

I echo the good advice about spending nothing on anything but getting a sound shell at this stage. That is going to be the make or break of the project. And I fear it is going to be a bigger one than you might at first think.

Andy ('66 Jag owner)

PS: Is that an Ro80 behind the V8?

17. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

The car failed its mot 24 yrs ago on the front indicator corrosion and has been garaged ever since. The engine seems fine and after its long sleep, fired up on all 8's first time! The exhaust system is shot, wood needs re-veneering (just up my street as I restore pianos :cool:), the BW autobox I'm not sure about - whether to take a chance or remove and strip, the rest is mainly cosmetic which I intend doing whilst being used.

The car behind is an Audi btw.

18. eddie49 Member

The remaining edges of the broken-out filler on the O/SF wing look very thick, and the metal is badly rusted. The whole wing could well be made of filler, with virtually no remaining metal underneath.
    With such severe rust in that area, the O/S "crow's foot" and the front jacking point have possibly gone too. I would be worried that this level of corrosion is present elsewhere as well. Have you checked the rear spring hangers, the Panhard rod bracket, and the main longitudinal chassis members ?

19. 66-V8

66-V8 Member

This is the o/s jacking area[​IMG]

And the nearside...[​IMG]

I'll dig more filler off wing and post piccy later.

Advertisements