Is it me or the machine?

1. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I suspect it is me!
    Using the settings advised on my TIG.
    Just trying to run a bead for now.
    4mm thick aluminium angle.
    NO pulse.

If I put the electrode too close to the ali - say 1/4" or maybe 1/2" - it pulses and makes nasty spattering noises.
    Pull the electrode much further away - say 1" or more it is far more stable but then I get a wide fan of heat - it is easy holding it this far away - is that normal?

2. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Try and 1/8th of an inch.....or slightly more than your tungsten diameter.....

Hopefuldave and carbon like this.
  3. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Amps?
    Frequency?
    Electrode?

123hotchef likes this.
  4. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Far to far away

Hopefuldave likes this.
  5. carbon

carbon Member

fizzy likes this.
  6. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    But when it is close it is very unstable. Further away rock solid.
    Perhaps tungsten condition?

7. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    You want to be closer than 1/4"

8. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

have you set it on AC with hf ??

with a half inch arc youre machine wont last long the hf will start to track to earth inside if it finds a path

Hopefuldave and AndersK like this.
  9. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Yes I have.
    It did find a path. My elbow!

10. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    The older Esab AristoTIG machines don't have the most stable of AC arcs, they are known for this, as well as inherent problems with hardware. I had an even older machine (I think it was older, anyway - 1981?) and yes, it did "fizz" a lot more than a modern machine.

Regardless, as long as it works, it will weld just fine, they are good machines.

If it's anything like mine (I had a DTM 250) it's designed so the HF is only for arc initiation and stabilisation on square wave. When the arc is unstable, it fires a whole load of HF in to keep it going.

EDIT: You haven't got the polarity wrong with the leads, have you?

As said, there's something seriously wrong if you're holding a 1/2" arc or longer, you need to be right in there with the tungsten. If you don't dip the tungsten into the puddle when you're learning, you're either a natural pro, or you're doing it wrong.

fizzy, addjunkie and Hopefuldave like this.
  11. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk

This is similar to what I am getting. Pull the electrode much further away it's fine.

12. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    And this is the way my leads are connected. 20200109_205101.jpg

13. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I think that is indeed a hardware problem. I'm guesstimating here, but I would say the longer arc length = higher voltage to maintain it = overcome resistance on the inverter board somewhere.

Can you take a video of your own machine, if you have a spare hood? I'm assuming it's just popping all the time with a closer arc, and going "cold"?

Does it run fine on DC?

Like I said, I had issues with mine on AC too, some of it is the design, I've been told by two seperate welding repair guys that these Aristotig units were an absolute pain because of the inherently unstable AC hardware/program design, which "they [esab] never seemed to be able to get right". When it works, it's great. If you have a problem, then finding an actual hardware fault is sometimes impossible.

Mine were mostly relating to dampness - dried the machine out in front of a space heater and installed a panel heater inside the case, and this helped a great deal. Cleaning the boards with isopropyl alcohol, making sure no dust is left, etc. Just making sure the boards are in as good a condition as possible.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, I hope I'm not being too pessimistic.

Advertisements