Insurance premium increase........

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I got my car insurance renewal quote in the post today - the current insurers are citing a figure with an increase over last year's premium of 37.45%. :mad:

Policy-cover-wise, nothing has changed other than my getting a year older [along with the car]. :rolleyes:

And so the "Dance of Discount" begins..........:banghead:

stuvy, Parm and MattH like this.
  2. jimbo84 Member

Trying it on, give them a bell and they’ll drop it massively. Or sack them off and go with somebody cheaper. Took great delight in telling the call handler when I called to cancel renewal that it was way too late for that when she said well straight away without looking at it I can reduce the renewal by £60, should have put that price in the renewal letter then shouldn’t you :doh:

mike os and MattH like this.
  3. cheb Member

Alternatively find a good broker who sort out the best policy for you each year.

I use a company called A plan for van and home insurances.

4. ibrooks Member

UK Lancashire
    I used to do the comparison sites and then tell the existing outfit where to stick it and likewise if they say they can beat the better quote I tell them too little too late on principle.

But......

For a good few years Sheilas Wheels have sent a renewal that I can't beat so they've had the repeat business (I still do the comparison sites as a matter of course to make sure). I sort of understood them being competitive on the daily driver as it's a "girly" car (MINI Convertible) but they've recently started to come out top for the toy which most certainly isn't "girly" (V8 Discovery 1).

Having said that I'd be happy to meet a girl that's enthusiastic about old scruffy LandRovers ;)

Hopefuldave likes this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

Too late, I'm sure KimB's spoken for. :laughing:

bigegg, Seadog and dobbslc like this.
  6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

The majority of insurance companies will try that on at renewal, a lot of them try and get you on automatic renewal as well.
    I have been with GA for the last 5 or so years and the premium has hardly increased (2 different policies) over that time and it is the reason I have stuck with them, I still do a search anyway and find that they are very competitive. This year there seemed to be quite a jump but when I checked with go compare etc they were still in the mix, so looks like insurance in general has taken a jump. Having said that my increase was nothing like 30%, more like 5% if I recall.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Wallace

Wallace Member

Come that big lottery win I will start my own insurance company!

dobbslc likes this.
  8. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

You will be getting a kick in the knacks for that I think, saying KimB's Landy is scruffy :vsad:

dobbslc, zx9 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

Iirc, it was before she brought it back to 'as new'. :thumbup:

That I could live with, but the 'dance' seems to be necessary at every renewal time.

Usually I do 'the comparisons' and present the current insurers with the best figure [often from Companies I've never heard of] which they match, or very close to. The reason I stay with them is that I have confidence that I'll get good service should it be needed.

10. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Almost saved yourself but you may still be in danger, best get the box out :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. slim_boy_fat

I'm good at thinking on my feet. ;)

Hood likes this.
  12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Refreshingly mine has gone down a couple hundred quid without me prompting this year.

13. zx9

zx9 Member

To get the best quotes you need to be asking a month before renewal, insurance is like booking train tickets the more time you have the better price you get it at.
    I delayed picking up the 530 by four days and saved 30% over buying insurance the same day.

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. I tried to get insured on an ancient M reg Honda civic coupe. They refused to insure me, even though my 19 year old Son was insured on it with the same company. Now bear in mind I was 57 years old, no claims in over 30 years a clean license and had four other vehicles that do minimum mileage each year, insured with them, I was somewhat taken aback. My insurances were due for renewal with them anyway, so I started looking around.

The phone rang and it was my insurance company. 'We've had a look at your request and CAN offer you insurance', albeit at a very expensive rate!

Too late folks. I've got insurance much cheaper and am transferring to XYZ. So much for loyalty to your customers.

15. ibrooks Member

UK Lancashire
    Apparently 21 days before renewal is the sweet spot for the lowest premium.

16. owas

owas Member

I'm in a tricky spot with mine, there's only 1 company that gives me 'cheap' insurance,
    So at renewal they could say w.e they wanted and I wouldn't have much choice, luckily it always goes down abit each year :laughing:

17. Migmac

Migmac Member

Our golfs insurance has gone up £10, my fault ( 5 points)

18. 4String. Member

I contacted a company called Adelaide Insurance who claim to offer low premiums to HGV licence holders, irrespective of being a driver.

Passed my Cat B in 1982, my HGV Class 1 in 1990, never had a claim, spotless licence, my daily ride is worth in the region of £300K, it regularly runs at up to 30 metres long and 5 metres wide, and I’m well into my 3rd (documented) round trip to the moon, mileage wise, but as I drive a Nissan NV200 van; “I’m very sorry Sir, we only offer insurance for cars, not vans.”

19. Kayos

Kayos Member

As far as I can work out, insurance is vaguely based on postcode but is mostly just a random number

Hopefuldave likes this.
  20. owas

owas Member

Here's one,
    Sister started driving start of the year,
    Getting quotes on comparison site.
    6pm - £1900
    2am - £1200
    Same company, same details

:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements