Industrial control suppliers

1. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Smells very like a duff capacitor somewhere given the behaviour you describe. Don't think the screen itself is at fault and probably not the ribbon working loose.

This one is a standalone 15" Dell which you're welcome to if you want it.

scott0031 likes this.
  2. scott0031 Member

England Kent

Thank you that's a kind offer. Is it like this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312465199076

I am just having this convo with the guy helping me to look for a replacement. He has one very similar,a dell 15 inch and we think it may fit in the casing... he is going to strip his tomorrow see it will fit. If it does i will grab that ebay one as it round the corner from me..if nothing else I can use it as a stand alone while i find a perm solution. One problem with machine tools is cobbled stuff devalues them a lot, if i want to sell that machine at some point i will have to find a suitable solution that looks meant to be or devalue the machine. I know it makes no odds but that's just the market, :(

3. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Pretty much exactly that one Scott. Same specs etc, case may be ever so rounded a bit more.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    scott0031 likes this.
  4. Pete.

Pete. Member

As above I'd pop the big board off and flip it over, inspect all the capacitors. Change out any which are bulging on the sides or the end.

Here's a video card I have in my drawer which also has screen artifacts and shuts down when it warms up. See the top left and bottom right capacitors both with burst tops.

IMAG3880.jpg

scott0031 and eSCHEn like this.
  5. scott0031 Member

England Kent

Curiosity got the better of me as I was heading off to sleep. I have already had the board off and looked for anything obvious at a glance. I have now gone over it with magnifying glass and a bright light and I can see nothing untoward with the capacitors. I know larger capacitors can just give up the ghost with no signs of anything wrong. Is that different with these small ones? Can they go without showing signs?

6. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

It's always possible Scott but normally you can spot them. I have had them where you can't tell but the replacement fixed it.

This is the 15", took a couple shots. If you want I can strip the case of tonight to show you the guts.

• WP_20190211_10_24_15_Pro.jpg
    • WP_20190211_10_24_40_Pro.jpg
  7. scott0031 Member

England Kent
    eSCHen, Many thanks indeed for your very kind offer. I really don't want to put any one to any trouble on my behalf.

The guy who was helping me has actually found a drawing of the actual monitor used in the dell 15" (he actually has one) or at least one of the versions and dimentionally they are identical down to the fixing points in the side... which is remarkable. I'm guessing a relative standard for some 15" of that era. I picked up the two that were local to me as these were the exact same model my friend had and checked would fit.

They are sitting in my workshop waiting for me to find time to attack them :)

Just for a laugh I got some prices from the machines agent in the uk ..... 1250 quid! The same monitor from Taiwan and readily available is under 100 quid and drivers available for about 20 to 30...... Don't ya just love it when people put the word industrial in front of something and think its worth a thousand percent increase in price! We are sooooo ripped off to the hilt in this country.

Many thanks to all for your help.

daleyd and eSCHEn like this.
  8. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Not a problem Scott, any time :)

Meant to say that I checked stores on Monday but only 17" or bigger in 5:4. Glad to hear you're sorted though and might get a spare at that :D

Industrial is like marine, multiply by ten at least!

Advertisements