1. pidgeon chit welder sticking metal since 1962

Carmarthenshire
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a mistook in cutting the square tube to the same size as the mounting plate ..spot the deliberate mistook that shows the square bar sticking out the tube . Thankfully I didn't weld up before I checked how it looked , I have some spare square to play with .

I'll drill the mounting holes a pair of plates at a time and dot punch them so I can identify them as matching pairs and so I can identify which face touches which face later on. Once they are drilled and welded I may cold coat them or if I can find a sympathetic ear to see if I can get then electro galved at a local electro galv works for £10 a pair ( :whistle:)

I also getting ready to start the fencing project , still preparing seedbeds and garden beds , having removed skips & skip of rubble out already it is taking much longer than I had hoped so the trailer bits are looking like simmering on the back burner during the warm dry weather .

I'll have a peek on the plastic rod site though just incase Nick fails to respond ... the rubber rods in my hand are Dairylee segment shaped and 14 mm round where there was no pressure on the rubber.

I'm not sure if the 14 mm round bits have expanded due to age/oxidizing .

I may have to remove the bearing & hub to fit things in the.. " to be made jig ".

In my ancient brain I calculate that the force applied via the hydraulic ram of the jack acting on the jack pad after passing from the cylinder along a 50 mm lever ,through a right angle to lever of 150 mm when it is at the tested 2 tonne lift load , is in excess of four tonne ( anyone still in posession of a working brain & the formulae feel free to calculate for me ...correctly ) and should be able to press the stub and rubbers or plastic stuff into the square sleeve when it is set up in a decent jig .

2. Nivag Member

Cornwall
    We used to machine the end of the square, which is prortuding through the box section, to round so it could be supported by an end plate with a hole in welded to the box. However, I think that would be very difficult to achieve now as your arm and axle are already welded on the other end.
    Nivag.

3. pidgeon chit welder sticking metal since 1962

Carmarthenshire
    ARTE et MARTE .... a mere challenge to be met & overcome my good man :D

4. i work for porter trailers (portertrailers.co.uk) and we steer well clear of indespension units, there a real disaster, we use leaf springs or else stub axles welded into 50mm box section axles mounted solid for the smaller quad trailers, the problem we had with larger indespension units was if someone bent a stub you had to try to straighten it and then it usually broke off so you ahd to order a new axle, and it had to be identical to the old one, same rise, etc, which was very hard to get.

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

ive had indies on my trailer for 0ver 20 years . its been grossly overloaded on many ocasions :laughing:just replaced them last year reason was the rubbers went hard and the wheel bearings were knacked and used old mini hubs so bought complete new units

6. pidgeon chit welder sticking metal since 1962

Carmarthenshire
    Update ..rubber cord

I've have had a quote back from one supplier " SILEX ".. minimum order for 5 mtrs at £21 .00 per metre of 14 mm , shore hardness 80 + - 5% plus pack + postage & vat to add insult to injury .
    We are looking at around £125 ( ish ) methinks for the bundle ... Anyone want to share in the cost??? Or has anyone located a cheaper source either as silicone rubber or the polyprop stuff ?

I reckon for my job I'd need a maximum of 1.25 mtrs .

7. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

brand new £84.50 a pair 7cwt inc vat with cast hubs even cheaper with pressed steel hubs 4cwt 64.50 ,7cwt 65.50
    not worth the hassle of trying to repair especially with the cost of rubber

• su53.gif
  8. pidgeon chit welder sticking metal since 1962

Carmarthenshire
    BBBBBBbbbb but I wanted to play and do it for less than £25 :D

9. the snooper

go on then if you must but watch you dont hurt yourself :laughing:

10. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Look what happened last time we let you play.....:o:o:o:o:whistle:

11. General Lee Member

Ireland
    I finally got around to refurbing my rusty suspension unit. I reused the old rubbers as i couldnt sourse new ones easily. I had to open out the box iron by cutting it to fit them in then reweld it together after squezing it back together in vice . I rewelded it with small stitches and cooled the weld with water so as not to melt the rubbers contained within. I put extra safety fetures on it in case anything goes wrong such as the plate on the end to keep it from sliding out and 2 pieces of iron (only one shown in picts) clamped over the welded box iron incase weld splits. It was taken off again wire brushed and painted in case someone's wondering about rust.
    Trailer isnt going to be doing much so it will do for time being.

• 14052010(004).jpg
    • 14052010(003).jpg
    • 14052010(005).jpg
    • 14052010(006).jpg
    • 14052010(009).jpg
    • 21052010.jpg
    • 14052010(001).jpg
  12. pidgeon chit welder sticking metal since 1962

Carmarthenshire
    Looks workable & tidy , mine are still in the garage as its sunny and warm, so the 21 off 8 foot concrete slotted fence posts have right of way for the new fence .

13. David Green New Member

England
    For All Indespension users wanting a repair

I have seen loads of these rubber chord units fail due to the hardening of the rubbers, usually its full unit replacement, however I have constructed a method of rebuilding and getting the rubbers in easily, there is a supplier on E Bay for the rubbers.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sealforce-O-ring-and-Seal-Solutions?_trksid=p4340.l2563

If you build using basic angle iron components the following you can replace the rubbers any time. the whole thing is welded from a flat plate and angle bar with a channel section again made from 2 pieces of angle, assemble and clamp the channel upwards to compress the rubber cords and either weld the edges or drill through and bolt together, indicated by the arrows, the latter is better as it is easily disassembled to replace the rubbers at a later date

14. austin man New Member

Rotherham
    Do you have pictures of your method and if using the 14 mm chord what weight capacity will the unit have, I need to restore the units on my car transporter trailer

15. the snooper

he hasn't been on the forum for a year, you may be better sending him a pm that way he will get an email if he has the alerts switched on

16. Scrungebob New Member

Hello just got a new trailer well new to me the units are rotten just wondering if you had any joy in this. Finding out any photos

17. brightspark

brightspark Member

hese long gone the post is 2 years old :whistle:

18. the snooper

and it was his one and only post

19. julianf

julianf Member

My trailer is currently off road too.

Braked units were somewhere between 2 and 300 when I last looked... Which is a lot considering the 80 cost of the trailer (I got a couple of years out of it too)

Anyone know if I can buy some unbraked units, and swap the braked hubs from my existing units?

20. Scrungebob New Member

Yes you can swap the only thing is to take note of where the holes are for the bolts, As Iv found out, depends on your type and make as each make has different sizes. It may mean you grindoff the plates and put new ones on. Hope this helps.

Advertisements