Impact Screwdriver Bits

1. Turbo Member

After looking for ages I've finally purchased an impact screwdriver.

P1050034.JPG

Hitachi 18v, which suits the rest of my kit plus a hitachi 18v drill body, got both for £35. Took it apart to check it out & it is mint inside.

P1050032.JPG

The brushes still have the taper on the nose.

P1050031.JPG

I've been using it with some standard wera pozi screwdriver bits & I think they are going to wear out quickly or break.

Can anyone recommend a decent impact bit set? They seem to cost more than std bits, are they worth the extra or will std bits last ok in an impact screwdriver.

MattF likes this.
  2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Bought some Milwaukee & Dewalt ones. Both seem to have held up well

brightspark likes this.
  3. brightspark

brightspark Member

just use dewalt or Makita etc wera all much about the same .. just don't use them on the wrong type of screw like pozi bits on phillips head screws. it knacks them instantly

zx9, indy4x, Gragson and 1 other person like this.
  4. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

I just use standard makita bits. ..... rarely break, I use about 30 a year, and about 10000 screws

Edit ... spelling

Parm and daleyd like this.
  5. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I tried a standard bit when I first got an impact driver, it shattered it so I bought a DeWalt impact set, been fine since.

6. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Yup.I Just buy a big box of pz2 and 3 for a standard holder and swap out as they break. Main reason for breaking them is poor access or awkward angle and not able to keep good pressure on them.

The dewalts see to hold up well. Bosch bits are not the best.

Dieselkid 63, Matrixx, Parm and 2 others like this.
  7. JohnH Member

UK M25 J6
    I have used one of these for years and suffered very few failures https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wera-Bit...=item5b52c833ed:g:M68AAOSwJXNcWGW6:rk:33:pf:0

Wera do make one or two other adaptors, some with magnets for holding the bit and screw, but I'm not that impressed with them. The bit comes loose sometimes.

The one above positively locks the bit, but having said that, the adaptor shown is slightly different from mine. You really need to look at them at a merchants to be sure.

zx9 likes this.
  8. Turbo Member

First of all thanks for all the replies & advice. :thumbup:

I have a similar wera set with pozi 1, 2 & 3 bits & it has been brilliant for using with a cordless drill. I have the bit holder I think you are alluding to with a ring magnet that slides down to hold the screw. Yes it does sometimes lose the bit & it is not great for removing screw or for tight places.

But if you are doing a lot of repetitive screwing like decking it is great as it has a death grip on the screw because the magnet is very strong, it will hold 6x100 screws no bother. You can get the screw from the box pop it on the holder & not worry about it falling of while you position the board. :cool:

9. MattF

MattF Forum Supporter

I found that too. My personal favourite are the Erbauer bits from Screwfix. They seem to have held up extremely well.

Agrismith and Turbo like this.
  10. The ones in your link are not for impact
    Gold is for regular screwing the impact version has grey bits, same green tags though

11. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Erbauer seem very under rated, I have a few of their cordless tools and some of the long series bits, very happy with them for DIY use :thumbup:

Agrismith, mike os, indy4x and 2 others like this.
  12. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Quite an old model, but they go on well... is that the push in batteries?
    I prefer to use the 50mm bits, rather than the short ones with a holder with mine. Keeps the overall length down, and doesnt pull the bit out of the holder.

Turbo likes this.
  13. Turbo Member

All my cordless are hitachi with the push in batteries & have given me great service. I keep picking up the drill bodies at auctions & I think I have 7 now, so enough spares for a lifetime! Not that I have ever needed any spares so far, but you never know. The only thing that lets them down is the price of replacement batteries, they are not cheap! :vsad:
    I have 4 li-ions that are still good & 4 nicads that need re-celled, something I'm planning to do soon. I have a large crate of 18v makita nicad batteries, many of which are still good & I'll transfer the cells over. ;)

This impact driver is in great condition, I'd be surprised if it put in more than a box of screws. I've tried it out & it can fire 5x100 screws into solid mahogany for fun!

14. JohnRUFC Member

15. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    I have a predecessor of that, probably a good couple of years older, must be best part of 15 years old. Was still using it until 18months ago.

16. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

I bought a box of their coated drills from Screwfix, multi pack of sizes up to 6mm I think, wasn't expecting much but pleasantly surprised how good they are

Robotstar5 likes this.
  17. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

I've been using some for a year or so, and have been pleasantly surprised how good they are. They are from our local tool shop and made by Dart.

18. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

Yep Irwin bits are good but when students use them in the cordless drills (even worse on the drill mode with no ratchet) they are easily mashed. They’ve got to be mated well to the screw then they last.

19. Kayos

Kayos Member

I just bought another box of Dewakt PZ2 bits, cheap enough that it doesn't matter that they wear out or shatter

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  20. Browser Happiness is an even fillet.

I'll just put in a shout for Milwaulkee bits, I mainly seems to be driving PZ2 screws with mine and they're as tough as nails, more than good enough for a DIY bod like me :)

Advertisements