Hydration

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mee Banned

The warm weather has arrived (allegedly) and remaining hydrated is a requirement of good health, and is something most companies can provide for employees for very little cost, particularly welding in hot weather in hot premises.

One of the best things for hydration whether at work or home is water and tap water is to be avoided as it contains many toxins and other nasties, but you can make your own water using filtered tap water as most water filters remove most of the nasties from tap water. If you filter a quantity of tap water and bottle it using clean glass bottles (plastic bottles can leach oils) and you place them in the fridge overnight you have a quantity of water to take to work and place in the fridge, or into the workshop a bottle at a time, and you can remain hydrated through the day.

Hydration is best achieved by taking a few sips regularly and often throughout the day, and not drinking huge quantities at once.

123hotchef and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  2. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Great post and reminder, but since when is tap water undrinkable in the UK?

Anguz, Member 66062, BarrieJ and 13 others like this.
  3. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Because of my treatment I have to drink quite a lot of water, I don't like paying for water, but in this case `i do, just so that I can keep an eye on the amount taken, I find it goes down a lot better with a touch of orange or blackcurret juice added to the bottle,

4. 123hotchef Member

get a filter and tap to go with at home or work much better than plastic water mineral bottles

gordon stephenson likes this.
  5. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with tap water. We're all too soft.

Regularly drunk out of hosepipe and I'm still here;)

Anguz, ukracer, the snooper and 27 others like this.
  6. 123hotchef Member

ha ha me too especially up at the yard, but filtered at home it does taste much nicer, you are in Yorkshire the water tastes better up there anyway
    here in London we drink our own wee from the taps apparently

7. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

At home we always have 2 glass jugs of water with a few slices of lemon in the fridge. That way we always have one to drink and a fresh one chilling down. I have adopted this habit where I am currently contracting in the afternoons, but being only a 5 person small business they have cans of Coke, Vimto, Tango, Sprite, Shandy Bass in a very large fridge available FOC for all, but I have my two jugs of lemon water in that fridge also, and make sure they are both cleaned and refilled before leaving in the evening.

gordon stephenson likes this.
  8. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

My buying water is only a temporary measure, 30pence for two litres from Lidl

The_Yellow_Ardvark and Parm like this.
  9. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I rode from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay [all off road] when we had the big heatwave/drought in 90s, we were drinking so much water through a day we had to fill up from streams along the way. Some of the best water I've ever drank. The taste changed as we got closer to 'civilian' areas so we stopped drinking it, around Richmond.

As for bottled water:doh: lazy arsed fannys with too much money

pS apart from Gordon:hug:

eil, nickk, bletchmonster and 7 others like this.
  10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

We have up here [imho, of course] some of the best-tasting 'wild' water there is and I used to drink lots of it when hill walking. Then you think..."what if there's a dead sheep lying in the burn uphill of you"......:whistle: :D In a similar vein, I watch folk [mainly youngsters] swigging straight out of bottles in pubs and wonder if, like me, they've seen those same bottles stored out behind the premises......where all the cats and rats in the neighbourhood pee. :doh:

Our tap water used to be beautiful to taste, although it was a little brown in colour, having come from a hill loch which was peat based. Then, in order to comply with Water Quality Standards, they installed [at vast expense] a treatment plant locally - now it often tastes of chlorine :vsad:.....and they call it progress. :worms Chilling it helps, but like others I keep a filter jug in the fridge. :thumbup:

But the OP's point is well made, even if I have to disagree about the 'drinkability' of UK tap water.

barracuda816, BarrieJ and More Amps like this.
  11. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Father was a stalker [of deer:whistle:] so spent many a holiday on the west coast. Making tea with water that looked like it had been steeping teabags for a month. When the Heather is in flower, along with wild sage, it made amazing brews.

My wife comes from Girvan water comes from a hill loch, thats now treated, its undrinkable now, unless you let it stand a few hours.

My God father was an intrepid explorer. Found himself somewhere in Alaska panning for gold, thousands of miles from anywhere, or so they thought, as one day he's panning and a massive turd floats by...:laughing:

Farside, Rig Pig and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

I'll be hydrating with a few bottles of Aspell's Premier Cru.....:drunk:

WorkshopChris, Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I've been drinking tap water for the best part of 60 years with no problems.

the snooper, BarrieJ, nickk and 5 others like this.
  14. julianf

julianf Member

Lead pipes to our house.

As i understand it, reverse osmosis is the only solution to that.

(i mention it in case anyone knows different?)

15. Migmac

Migmac Member

One of the houses I lived in had water coming from a hill drain into a holding tank. The holding tank often had dead mice and frogs in it. I never took bad when I lived there. Mains water is horrible!

More Amps likes this.
  16. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Fixed that for you Gordon :drunk:

Bob

Barlidge and gordon stephenson like this.
  17. optima21 Forum Supporter

I've been known to buy bottled water, but only because I want the bottles to put tap water in when I go camping, think 3 gallons should be enough for this weekend. I guess we're lucky here that we have very soft tap water. the 1 gallon water bottle are the most convenient for storing and pouring water from.

DSC00256.JPG

Parm and Shox Dr like this.
  18. GKQ

GKQ Member

Mains water what's that ? We pump out of a stream, 250m up hill, into tank then pressure pump to the house. We use a sediment filter but that's it. Not killed me yet, but apparently I will be dieing some time in the future, possibly with the wife's help!
    Graham

19. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

A
    Are you for real ???

We have some of the best quality tap water compared to a lot of other countries

And Plastic bottles leeching oils ?????? Really !!!

Don't give up the day job (what ever that is) but your advice is rubbish

20. Pete.

Pete. Member

I have a lead infeed and it's not killed me in 25 years.

BarrieJ, octo0072000 and MattF like this.
Advertisements
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.