How would you repair this railing?

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Very true, a long hard push is what's needed. Since it has only been bent once with a single blow, in theory a single anti-blow in the exact opposite direction should straighten it perfectly. If you want to hammer it, you'd need a hammer the size of a small car. Rather than trying to generate that force using kinetic energy in a short sharp shock, a long slow torque will do the same job.

I have noticed this effect when straightening massive vice handles in the flypress. All the effort goes into setting it up, then just give it a bonk. The metal will "want" to bend where it already has and I surprise myself when a single firm shove makes it ruler straight in one go!

Aesgarth likes this.
  2. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

ratchet/winch and a hammer or heat ... used together will fix it in less time than reading all these posts:D

i would cut the one thats broken off and either replace or straighten and reweld as you have to get the welder out anyway

Aesgarth and Hitch like this.
  3. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    Thanks everyone! It's going to be a while before I'm doing the job but I'll take all I need with me to try to straighten them but also to replace if needed.

4. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

As, has been eluded to above(@Morrisman) take a look at the fixing into the base. I wouldn't be putting a big hammer to it, not on the pavement anyway.

5. tom2207 Member

it did all right when it was hit with the van bumper ,, if its heated it wont need hit that hard ..
    its a bent bar , dont over think it.

mike os likes this.
  6. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    I'd be surprised it if it straightens properly and I wouldn't fanny about trying to straighten it, I'd just cut it out and weld another one in.

slim_boy_fat and fixerupper like this.
  7. tom2207 Member

without sounding offensive

, if you dont think that will straighten ,, take up wood work metals not for you .

8. tom2207 Member

to be very honest I could have had that sorted in less time than its taken to write about it ..
    its a metal railing , not a satellite.

brightspark and mike os like this.
  9. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

Well I've already thought it, what shall I do now?

mike os and tom2207 like this.
  10. tom2207 Member

Panic ,,, its all thats left to do now ,,, then cry ,,, then go to the pub ,
    ah we cant go to the pub . Have a bacon roll instead , that sorts most things out ...

11. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    You do sound offensive, hardly a constructive comment

Morrisman likes this.
  12. tom2207 Member

then i shall instantly and unreservedly apologise ,

bigegg likes this.
  13. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Have a couple of beers then get on with it

Advertisements