Honest opinions on this

1. MattH

MattH Member

Your welds don’t show any gas coverage issues so I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you turn down the current when shortening the stick out then you will be mitigating the effect of shortening the arc.

You need to increase the wire speed a bit with a longer stickout to keep the weld in short circuit transfer, with a long stickout the weld will want to go into gobular which will be harder to control and create much more spatter.

Just give it a go, get your settings right for a standard run and then shorten the arc and lengthen it. You will see what I mean, gobular transfer sounds like cracking / popping whereas SCT (dip) sound like sizzling.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  2. Tosh67 Member

Thanks Matt for your input & advice it’s been clear and concise & to the point where I can understand it which is a rare thing for me!

The welds were very sooty which I thought to be a shielding problem but on now wondering it could be caused by the weld through primer/zintec coating?

time for mor practice I think “thanks again”

MattH likes this.
  3. MattH

MattH Member

Brown soot is usually gas coverage but if the welds look fine then don't worry. When you have a shielding problem you will see porosity in the weld bead (small holes).

White soot would be galv/zinc (don't breath the fumes).

4. Tosh67 Member

I’ve got another ? With reference to tip and shroud position what is the preferred?

1, tip below
    2, tip flush
    3, tip proud

Presuming you keep the stick out from the tip the same does it only effect the shielding or does it effects anything else, would having the tip proud be the best option for working under a vehicle in tight places, or would it make no real difference to a beginner.

5. Lordspectre

Lordspectre If it aint broke, tinker with it anyway

looks good overall bud, good steady hand mostly. I'd bang up the heat a tad bit though and wire speed leave where it is or drop a slight bit at times

Advertisements