Honest opinions on this

1. Tosh67 Member

Give me your honest opinions on my latest attempt at gas mig welding? Was done on 2mm zintec with 06 wire, I have a lot of welding and fabrication of parts to get my transit back on the road so decided to buy myself a decent hobby/home use machine.

Was done with a GYS Novomig 160 would like to know what I need to change? Not to share if there’s enough penetration!
    Hope the photos show up

upload_2018-12-22_22-39-11.jpeg

upload_2018-12-22_22-40-45.jpeg

upload_2018-12-22_22-47-16.jpeg

Ashley Burton likes this.
  2. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Not much wrong with that, I've worked with so called pro's who have produced much worse, perhaps just a little practice on the stops and restarts, well done.

3. Tosh67 Member

Wasn’t sure if there needed to be more penetration on 2mm steel, the blobs were where I tacked little slits where the metal was folded which are to high maybe should of kept the trigger pressed a tad longer?

4. baconbarm

baconbarm Member

Looks fine to me. Its thin stuff and it shows you're competent enough to have adjusted the settings to not blow through .

5. MattH

MattH Member

It looks good to me.

Possibly a bit cold, you can see some of the toes of the weld aren’t wetted in.
    Few more amps.

Run over your tacks to blend them in.

stuvy likes this.
  6. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

maybe a bit more amps..as stated above it looks a tiny bit cold

7. Tosh67 Member

It’s an auto mig like the gys smartmig 162 so only has a thickness setting and a A or B power setting and a wire speed dial, what would you suggest more or less wire speed or power B

upload_2018-12-22_23-41-14.jpeg

8. MattH

MattH Member

Wire speed looks ok, try tightening up your arc.
    Less stickout should mean more current.

8ob and gordon stephenson like this.
  9. mr haynes Member

Go for next setting up and give it a try. Don't view the recommended settings as hard and fast, different circumstances can call for adjustment

8ob likes this.
  10. Tosh67 Member

Some good advice Gents thank’s
    I know what you mean by different circumstances! as when welding on me back under the van and not being able to to get the torch in a certain position or your head nearer is another ball game to keep the weld looking good.

arther dailey likes this.
  11. davidjohnperry a different breed

The welds for a hobbiest are good other then what has been mentioned already the only advice I can give is the automatic settings or default settings are not always bang on perfect settings the give the user a close or ball park figure to make setting up plants easier then having to keep adjusting wire and power to get the settings right. Saves time for the user of the machine

MattH likes this.
  12. Tosh67 Member

This was my fist and only welding attempt which I did 9yrs ago pulse welding using a sip weldmate 130, so I think I’ve improved a little or it might be because the GYS is a totally better machine for A beginner with not so much to think about.

I didn’t realise that the stick out could make that much difference, so I will experiment with that.

upload_2018-12-23_16-25-58.jpeg

upload_2018-12-23_16-26-43.jpeg

13. davidjohnperry a different breed

Stick out the further away reduces the voltage or heat so the closer you are the hotter it will get or you will get the full voltage Ur set at I think anyway I like to think that's why it's called short arc except it's to do with how the wire does something like electrics shorting giving that bacon frying sound I don't have a book Infront of me or Google working but you can look it up on here or find it on Google and you can get a more in-depth knowledge of the short arc process

14. MattH

MattH Member

SCT short circuit transfer when you are close and dip/globular further out.

davidjohnperry likes this.
  15. davidjohnperry a different breed

Oh and gas makes a difference more co2 in the argon mix the hotter the weld will become

16. arther dailey Member

good job, if its not on a visable to the eye bodywork I would say stay away from the temptation tho grind back flush and smooth, way more strength as is and will out last the rest of the van ! like has been mentioned a little more power would have given more penetration,but I can tell you from experiance of "welders"(more like grinders) that before I got my own mig,repaired my various vans and trucks,and not one was as tidy as that.
    pat your self on the back I reckon.Arther

davidjohnperry likes this.
  17. Tosh67 Member

As I’ve said I can guarantee my welding will probably get less tidy when I try it under the van, I would say it’s 10 times easier on a bench when you can get your head right up close to view the puddle and rest your hand properly! Time will tell,

Not looking forward to plug welding upside down and again will be different setting to what I’ve already done?

Although I’ve watched a few Utube tutorials I think talking about it is a better way to get knowledge, the simple things like you guys have said like the stick out makes total sense now with reference to the heat/penetration.

Again many thanks for your input

18. Tosh67 Member

So I’m guessing that in the situation where I can’t get close enough (a longer stick out) I would need on this machine to maybe switch it to max and increase gas to help shield?

I’m starting to think I might of been better off getting a normal machine where you have more adjustment? All the tutorials online give you the adjustments in certain scenarios but nothing for this type of mig.

Shedendman likes this.
  19. MattH

MattH Member

You need to up the wire speed to stop burn back.
    Gas shouldn't need messing with unless you are in windy conditions and usually you are better off setting up some sort of screen to shield the weld from the wind.

20. Tosh67 Member

I was welding at 15 Lpm at the torch using Hobbyweld 5 it was outside on a bench or I should say under a carport with a fence all round & also shielded the bench with ply so was well shielded from wind, I will wrap some tarps around the van so shield me more than the weld because I hate working outside in this weather

So am I right in saying more stick out requires a higher wire speed?
    Shorter stick out lower wire speed?

Advertisements