Home made parts washer

1. 123hotchef Member

Has anyone made their own one?
    I was looking to purchase one as the tooth brush and paint brushes in a plastic tub is getting tedious not to mention all the grease and bits stay in the liquid.

2. They're cheap enough to buy the simple DIY type steel tank ones. I had one years ago but the caustic cleaner I used eventually removed all the paint. Didn't rust below the water line but was crusty just above. Also rotted the switch for the motor.
    If I was building one myself I would probably start with a heavy duty plastic tank. Just make sure it's not going to melt if you intend using a solvent based fluid.

slim_boy_fat and 123hotchef like this.
  3. northwest

northwest Member

4. Far better are the commercial heated and high pressure chemical cleaners. Something like a second hand dishwasher would probably give better results than what I had.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  5. Jay1st

Jay1st AdeptusMechanicus wanna be.

A dish washer works perfectly when the wife is not at home :whistle::D

6. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

I had a cheap MachineMart version, I used Jizer and the pump dissolved. If I had space I'd use a stainless steel sink and drainer with a bucket under the plug hole and a mesh on the bottom of the sink. To be posh, use a suds pump up through the tap. I can't use the kitchen sink or dishwasher as we have a septic tank, the solvents etc would ruin it.
    I still use a bucket :(

Hopefuldave and 123hotchef like this.
  7. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

I bought an ex safetyclean hire unit (so well made) at auction £20.00 plus commission, had been abused, steel drum full of solidified grime and when cleaned out had pin holes, pump not working but only jammed up with solidified grime, I put a plastic bucket on the bottom of the drum, a large thick poly bag into the bucket and over the top lip of the drum, tried TFR but ended up with Diesel / Petrol mix, readily available from most small garages in 20 liter drums, make sure it is more diesel than petrol, and don't weld next to it! I adjusted my fluid mix with some red,

123hotchef likes this.
  8. 123hotchef Member

If i had the space this would make a.good base for a big boy parts washer. But alas I do not. I guess I should put it in the for sale section.

• 20200805_103133.jpg
    • 20200805_103115.jpg
    • 20200805_103127.jpg
    • 20200805_103122.jpg
  9. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Add an EvilBay cheapo ultrasonic kit to that and...

Dave H. (the other one)

10. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

We have an old SS cleaner with a 205ltr drum as the stand submerged pump like the Safety Clean draining back into the drum the mod we have done is to extend the drain about 10mm & drop an old earth mover air filter in the fluid all the crap stays in filter even the fine stuff fluid stays clean 2\3 times as long NOTE, blow the filter out before dropping in fluid especially if the machine has been working in quarry or dust
    Fluid, Kero & some petrol or gun cleaner filters from CAT or Komatsu dump trucks 3\400mm dia 6\800mm deep

123hotchef likes this.
  11. ukracer Forum Supporter

Is that heated?

12. ukracer Forum Supporter

I have recently been using citric mix and also vapo rust.
    One is expensive but works well the other turns things black.

But items like @123hotchef don't seem to hang around long in the Midlands or I don't know what to search for. Lol

13. 500e

Looking at last pic the bottom looks over heated :whistle:
    A serious bit of kit looks like a few mods & a really good washer hot or not, even possible to add ultrasonic I would think
    Shame so far away
    UK we have got 5 ltrs of Vaporust as said it works well how much use have put it to, ours is only lightly used, do you keep in sealed container ?

123hotchef likes this.
  14. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

An old stainless sink.
    Wrong mix petrol/diesel mix.
    An old holley fuel pump.
    If I have a decentish element, diesel filters in line with the pump.

15. 123hotchef Member

it would be if it didnt get condemned, I am getting a new one for the kitchen so this one is mine! they aint having it for scrap!

500e and ukracer like this.
  16. 123hotchef Member

Search commercial Brat pan

ukracer likes this.
  17. ukracer Forum Supporter

I want to but it's in a very big flower pot with cling film over it for now.

18. 123hotchef Member

we had caustic soda in it hot for days cleanning eveything in the kitchen before it was condemned

19. 500e

What the whole kitchen

20. Kram

Kram Member

Got a very old pressure cooker, I intend to use it with diesel, parrafin or brake cleaner to soak parts.

Ive got small plastic sealing pots I have been using with brake cleaner. I left a couple pairs of badly contaminated sintered pads in soak for two days and they came out good.

Advertisements