Help pleasssse

1. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

No nothing like this happens

2. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

I'm really considering throwing it into a repair shop for a few days.. At least I can say I had a go with lots of help haha, but I need the welder.. I cant be sharing my filcord between my work and the car work 'so i either buy a pcb £72 and if it dosnt work then I know its not the pcb and the fault is something else or get codon alloys to repair it for me and just pay the price.if I'm lucky i will get another 40yrs out of it haha x

3. eddie49 Member

There does seem to be more than one fault on the machine, which is unusual. Something stops the relay on the PCB from closing when you press the torch trigger, and even if you close that relay manually, it does not cause the main contactor to pull in. It is possible that during this troubleshooting a poor contact somewhere has become worse. It might be worth unplugging the machine and, with a bright light, check all the wires, connections, screw terminals, and push-on tags. Wiggle the wires and look for loose, corroded, or burnt connections.

4. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

Its working haha,I just re soldered the relay and its alive again

Yamhon, Anguz and eddie49 like this.
  5. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

theres one for sale on ebay ,no connection to me, ?.

6. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

ha, you got there before me, thats great news,nice work Sw.

sarahweld likes this.
  7. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

I've tried to post a video of it fully working no problems with it I going go take it back to my unit now. Connect a roll of wire to it and have a quick go.i won't use it till the rifa thing comes but at least its all working thanks everyone for all the wisdom.. I will stay here forever and talk weld you have helped me no end your all fantastic thank you xx

Wozzaaah likes this.
  8. eddie49 Member

Wow ! Well done !!

sarahweld likes this.
  9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

if you have bought old stock dont use it

buy an equivilent one instead it only a suppression capacitor

10. MattH

MattH Member

Great news.

sarahweld likes this.
  11. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

I've had to buy rifa pme 271 0.22uf 1000v the 260 version nobody stocks on ebay. But I will probably go to litherlands electronics tomorrow.if I cant wait haha .ill get the rifa's there. I need to know how to post videos on here if possible as I do like to show people what project I'm doing. If anyone is ever in Blackpool .it be good yo meet up for to many drinks haha. I'm so happy its working I still have no idea as to why the rifa blew .. Or that the machine died I can't put it down to the relay.it might have been messing with wires undoing them to test,i might have pulled out one with a bad connection its bizzare .but I did find that gramps had played with it and wrote hardwire and numbers and says fan at the end I'm going to investigate tonight and leave going to my unit till morning ...

12. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

I'll post a pic up in a min of what he's wrote and try and find what he's hardwired and why ......

13. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

A few numbers

• WP_20190602_018.jpg
  14. eddie49 Member

The old PME 260 capacitors are for use in North America on 125v AC circuits, but they have no certification approvals. The new PME 271 are certified to run at 275v AC. So 271 is better. However, in this application they are on the welder transformer secondary, across the diodes, so run at a nominal voltage that probably does not exceed 40v ( before spikes ! ). I think the deciding factor in whether they go pop is ageing. New is better than old.

sarahweld and MattH like this.
  15. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

Yikes found this I ppresume those go together to work this .. I wondered why it never did anything haha .. Any ideas I've never needed it before but id like it to work why would this be disconnected

• WP_20190602_019.jpg
    • WP_20190602_020.jpg
    • WP_20190602_022.jpg
  16. eddie49 Member

Better put some tape on that bare splice!
    That is the Burnback control. If it was still connected, turning it up would cause the wirefeed to stop when you release the torch trigger, but allows the weld power to keep going for a ( variable ) fraction of a second. With the feed stopped but the current still on, the wire will burn back up the shroud, towards the tip, so that on the next start you don't have a long stickout of wire.

sarahweld likes this.
  17. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

You know your stuff Eddie... I've had the welder 6 yrs .Its never bothered the welder not be coupled up. I've heat shrank a connector onto the bare wiring and done it proud haha .. The fan is always on when the machine is turned on, again i hadnt noticed this .My finlux I bought new 5yrs ago for £2 grand and that fan Is always on when the machine is. Im a bit down hearting though knowing my gramps could have fixed it properly but didn't, so it must not have meant to him as much as it does to me, I'm going to have the casing painted pink I think haha. I've found a company that will make all the decals and even the warning decal on the side in 20 different languages, ill repaint the chassis black though. id love to buy a pink lance and torch or even if I could find pink heat shrink big stuff.. But you will all be the first to see how it ends up looking .im never going to sell it in only 28 so have a lot of yrs welding yet. HOPEFULLY

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  18. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

Is it yours how much can I buy it off you for I could do with another welder with bigger amps

19. sarahweld

sarahweld Member

So am I ok using the 271

20. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

no not mine,pm sent.

sarahweld likes this.
Advertisements