Helmet choice

1. blue_cortina New Member

Hi - I've recently joined (https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum...lding-after-long-break-will-need-help.105303/)

I currently have an old school hold up infront of your face mask that I have at least been able to use whilst I try and get my welder up and running. I have an auto helmet somewhere I think that I bought on a whim at a car show many years ago. I don't know the state of it but will probably dig it out and at least have a look at it.

I'm considering getting a new hemet to make things easier and be more confident that I am protecting my eyes. I've been reading other threads on this section of the forum and esab seem to be popular. Esab Warrior seemed well liked but that appears to be have been replaced by an Esab Savage A40. It's more than I wanted to spend but if it makes it easier to weld and keeps my eyes safe its worth the money.
    What do you think guys? Is this the way to go? I know you can spend a lot less and certainly a lot more but I'm not going to be out there welding every day, I'm getting older!, although also all my cars are getting a lot older!

2. cocker

cocker Member

Go and try some on , see what is the most comfortable for you in the positions you'll mostly be welding in .
    All the big name lids will be pretty much the same at whatever price point you pick .
    I mostly use a Jackson auto unless it's peeing down , then I use a passive . They both do the same job really - one is just nicer to use .

James1979 likes this.
  3. Adam Marshall Member

I recently bought a speedglas 9100xxi after having a Clarke and a £20 special off ebay, they are worlds apart. I was looking for a helmet that was good for tig and mig without buying two seperate. My neighbour next to my unit has a optrel crystal but he doesn't think they would perform good for mig at high amps as the shade doesn't go to 13.

morssdn likes this.
  4. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

I'd buy the A40, personally :) I like Esab helmets a lot.

5. blue_cortina New Member

Hopefully I have one arriving tomorrow...

6. leslie7324

leslie7324 Member

I bought one too. Lovely helmet, tried it yesterday.

7. Mart63

Mart63 Member

I ordered a GYS Alien XXL a few days ago. Still waiting for delivery. Hoping it will be better than my ebay cheapy and my Falcon Burning Car helmet.

8. blue_cortina New Member

Its very comfortable - looks good so far but haven't really been able to try it properly as mig is in pieces and my borrowed one has stalled!

• IMG_20201004_131107.jpg
    • IMG_20201004_131205.jpg
  9. leslie7324

leslie7324 Member

Mine is miles better than my esab origo.
    My father loves it too. He couldn't see it before it darkened but the a40 is real clear before and during.

10. Adam Marshall Member

Is that a40 the new one released for 2020? What it like for tig stuff if anyone has one? I was thinking about that one myself as a dedicated tig mask.

11. blue_cortina New Member

I believe its is new - this is from the manual.
    upload_2020-10-4_20-47-53.png

12. Lewis_RX8

Lewis_RX8 Member

Welding helmet as sunglasses when driving :laughing:

blue_cortina likes this.
  13. Al237 Member

Bought A40 Savage and A50 Sentinel, intending to use A40 as a spare or when my son helps on bigger jobs. I find that I'm using the Savage more than the Sentinel now as I find it a better fit for me as the Sentinel feels a bit front heavy.

14. Aff

Aff Member

I have a couple of Parweld XR938H's

I think for the money you cant get much better. The 'True Colour' feature really does make life much more enjoyable when youre starting out and makes it feel like a more premium helmet.

https://www.basicwelding.co.uk/products/parweld-xr938h

Advertisements