Hi all, returning to welding after long break. Will need help!!!

1. blue_cortina New Member

Hi due to working on an old Morris Minor I need to do a.oittle bit of welding and have dug out my old welder that has sat dormant for many years. Was never very good at welding but now realize that it my welder has probably not helped that! I'm going to start another Sip migmate, please help threads, once I've finished reading a few more of the existing ones

skotl likes this.
  2. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
    Hi & welcome :waving: Get yourself some scrap and practice, practice, practice - then practice some more :laughing:

3. tom2207 Member

You will soon fall back into the way of it ,,, after a few cups of tea and assorted burns, grinding scum on the top of your digestives ,, sore neck , stiff back and a dose of arc eye ,,, you will wonder why you ever stopped welding in the first place ,,, :thumbup:

jerrytug, Richiew, Domdom and 4 others like this.
  4. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

first problem is finding something thick enough to weld on an old Moggy!

jerrytug likes this.
  5. a111r Member

Welcome.
    We'll await your post when you've stopped reading all those previous ... so maybe December? :D

6. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Ya big girl,tis normal all that:laughing:

7. blue_cortina New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm hopefully borrowing a welder tomorrow so I can see what that is like compared to mine. Unfortunately its from somebody whose welder has been used about as recently as mine, but at least its a different model so will be interesting. I'm not sure I miss the pain of welding (sizzling welds between your sock and shoe springs horribly to mind) nor how uncomfortable it can be but I'm keen to get back to the satage where I can at least do some simple tasks decently.

8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Sip migmate...I had one...gave up trying to learn mig. Like you it was a long while before I came back to it.

If you could try a modern machine I think would be a lot better....hard the express just how bad my migmate was Vs my kermppi.

And of course welcome to the forum.

wacky7791 likes this.
  9. blue_cortina New Member

It's a SIP Super Migmate - non-turbo non dual purpose. I've not got access to something more modern to try unfortunately and it seems that the cheapies now are rubbish and a decent one costs a lot of hundreds which is hard to justify at the moment, going to at least give the SIP a chance before I replace it - maybe.

10. a111r Member

I've today listed a very cheap non-SIP in the classifieds on here...:D

11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Mine was a Halfords impulse purchase...the thing I couldn't get on with was the push button power selectors.

The inverters are continuously variable which is a big advantage for thin stuff. I think if you know how to weld the migmate will be fine....i was trying to learn with it....gave up for 10 years in the end.

Advertisements