GYS Easymig 140 review.

1. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Well after umming and ahhring for ages about buying a mig welder I took the plunge. Thanks to everyone that has given me some good advice recently.
    I've chosen a GYS Easymig 140 as it was available at a place called Barnet Welding Supplies that is near me that I've been getting my gas from. Hi Oliver:waving:
    No links to this company but they've been really good to me so deserve a plug!
    Oliver gave me a demo so I could have a quick blast on it and spent over an hour setting up the gas lines and talking me through the machine. It's an inverter machine so very light comes with a Euro torch, bottle of gas, regulator, earth clamp and stick welding rod holder. It can weld mig in steel and stainless steel with the correct wire and arc weld, it can also do gasless welding for outdoor work.
    Nice and bright yellow so I won't lose it in my overcrowded workshop!
    IMAG2576.jpg
    First test on the demo was some 5mm plate that it welded very easily so it certainly has some power for a small machine, it seemed nice and smooth.
    Once home I got it set up on my sort of temporary welding bench....
    I had a quick test on some 1mm sheet doing a few lap joints and after a bit if fiddling it was working well. Apart from my shakey hand!
    IMAG2581.jpg

1488734634047.jpg
    Then onto the real test, no messing about! a bit of 0.8mm sheet to repair the blade guard on my bandsaw. Again my shakey hand was the worse part of this job as the welder was great .
    IMAG2582.jpg
    Really enjoyed this afternoon migging as I've been really struggling with a tig welder and just needed to get some work done.
    More to follow as I've run out of gas, maybe I had the regulator turned up too much......:whistle:

PavePogue, Seano, Neil Burton and 2 others like this.
  2. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

Looking good ! Can you put a mug next to the machine so we can see how small it is , it does look tiny :laughing:

3. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

OK one scale shot with a steaming hot cup of Benedict Cumberbatch!
    1488735435689.jpg
    Pretty small!
    I've just added a bit more to the first post above as I managed to hit the go button before I finished it!

Mods, can I ask is there a way to have a new sub heading up with all the other makes for these GYS machines?
    I think they'll be quite popular!
    :thumbup:

PavePogue and Jim Davey like this.
  4. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

That is twee ! looks like it will do the job though!

PavePogue likes this.
  5. norlander

norlander Member

Glad you are getting on with and enjoying the new kit, I'd put this under the "first impressions" label as (personally) I like to see reviews done after at least a years use.
    I agree on the power, french bloke I met at Gys got on a bit of a soapbox about that, they are a bit serious about the kit putting out what it says on the tin.
    Moving on to a proper sized gas set up when possible will let the set produce some top work.

Mark 2 likes this.
  6. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I would also like to see what its like in a year or so but on first impression compared to a SIP weldmate I had, it's bloody good!
    I picked up a new bottle of argon for the tig set but don't think it'll get much use for a while!
    I'll probably go for a larger bottle of Ar-Co2 mix later on as it really went through the little bottle supplied quite quickly.

norlander and Bigjoe like this.
  7. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I had another go with it tonight to fix my boys bedroom chair that "just broke".
    It just needed a tube refixing to a flat plate about 2mm thick.
    Easy enough I thought! Well the powder coat didn't want to come off but I got what I thought was enough off then set the welder up but this time only had pure argon as the 80/20 mix had run out.
    What a mess I made! The powder coat was smoking like buggery and it just didn't want to lay a good bead. I tried a piece of old steel I'd used before for practice and it was much better but still not a smooth as before. The weld was much taller with less penetration than before and a lot of black soot on it. Definitely no pictures!
    Does the gas make that much difference?

8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Things are always doing that. :whistle:

9. MattH

MattH Member

Yes, you can't use pure Argon for Mig on steel.

DAPPH likes this.
  10. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Yes your gas makes a huge world of difference your co2 is your active gas and argon shielding, if that makes sense. Without the co2 of the mix you will lack penetration.

Jay1st likes this.
  11. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

:whistle: I thought you could use pure argon but it's not the best. :doh:

12. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I've just had an epiphany!
    I had it in my head I could use pure argon as an alternative to a mix when it's a actually pure Co2! :doh:

PavePogue and Arclikeharrypotter like this.
  13. norlander

norlander Member

14. sardine

sardine Member

Its too yellow.

15. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

roofman must of painted it! ;)

16. ms08

ms08 Member

It's lovely :thumbup:

Neil Burton likes this.
  17. norlander

norlander Member

18. Mrpye New Member

Thanks for the review, I have purchased one today! Seems really good value so I hope it' not too good to be true!

Neil Burton and dobbslc like this.
  19. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

We would welcome a new owner review from unboxing to first welds with photos, they are good to have and a benefit to anyone considering the same.

20. Mrpye New Member

Will do! I agree it' good to have reviews, as I've found finding a decent welder on a budget is a mine field!

Advertisements