Gazco fireplace remote

1. LewisT Member

central scotland
    Hi everybody

Tasked with trying to repair a remote that was dropped, the led on the remote lights up when it should but it doesn't control the fire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cant really see anything up with the board soldering looks nice, you think the ultrasonic transducer( only markings on it are a T on underside) has been broken? I would normally tell them to buy a new remote but £100 for something that looks like it cost a fiver to make seem unreasonable.

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

My first thoughts would be transducer or the black cylinders that look like crystals.

3. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    Ultrasonic transducers like those are relatively fragile, so are a likely culprit. A scope could be used to check if a signal is being generated and reaching the transducer pins. If there is a signal, and it's at around the 40kHz mark, and modulated by data, then it's probably the transducer. If there's no signal at the transducer, or it's way off frequency, then look elsewhere in the circuitry.

4. LewisT Member

central scotland
    Cheers for the replys, rtbcomp the black cylinders are silver crappy phone camera makes them look black,

Voipio i could get a friend who's a electronics engineer to check that as i dont have a scope, but willing to take a gamble and replace the transducer.

Where's good for buying a new transducer, and what should i be looking for?

5. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

So..... funnily enough, I have a gazco remote going spare...

We moved house eight years ago and it mistakenly ended up in one of the moving boxes and landed at the new house. I kept meaning to send it back to the new owners of the previous house but never did (I still feel bad :()

It's yours if you want it? Nae clue if it's different to the one you have but you're welcome to give it a shot. PM me if you'd like it and I'll post it (or if you're near Queensferry or Kirkcaldy, I can drop it off).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 1:28 AM
    Olderisbetter likes this.
  6. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Member

Slightly drifting but still about remotes, Quick text for infra red remotes is to point them at your camera on the mobile phone and you can see the LED working when you press each button.

Advertisements