Gasless

1. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

0.9 wire should fit in standard 0.8 roller.

niels likes this.
  2. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

What welder is it, some of the cheapest MIGs can't have their polarity swapped easily and have no provision for adding gas? Starts to get expensive if you need to put down a large deposit and buy a regulator, flow meter, hoses, spanners etc. as well as the gas.

Depending on what you are doing gasless wire may be suitable, I did a job a few weeks ago welding a load of 2mm galv steel outside and used cheap wire from Amazon that worked fine. Don't buy a big reel as it won't keep - the flux will absorb moisture.

This is the stuff I got - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dirty-Pro-ToolsTM-Gasless-Welding/dp/B011UTRX3Q/ no idea whose wire they are rebadging but it worked fine for me, every bit as well as the SIF gasless I can normally buy locally. Extra tips and nozzles a bonus as well.

Mark 2 likes this.
  3. Davey223 Member

My welder is oxford 270-1 mig

4. Davey223 Member

Will do thanks for that

5. niels

niels Member

So you mean you can use 0.9 flux core wire on a regular V-shaped 0.8 roller?

- Niels

6. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

I do

niels likes this.
  7. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I did have a gas/gasless welder, my sons got it now, the roller was marked 0.6 & 0.8 you used the 0.8 for both 0.8 & the 0.9 gasless wire. From memory you used a 1mm tip with gasless as it tends to jam in the tip. I think the wire tends to deform going through the roller & also the size may not be constant. Try it with the roller you’ve got, either it will feed or it won’t, it won’t do any harm. Best of luck with it.

DavidL and niels like this.
  8. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

That's quite a good welder, you may have the opposite problem to what I thought - does it have the option to run gasless? Some way to switch polarity?

9. Davey223 Member

• IMG-20200713-WA0001.jpeg
    • IMG-20200713-WA0001.jpeg
  10. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

That looks like a fairly hetro polarity machine. I could be wrong and it does swing both Ways.

11. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Reverse polarity for gasless is an option on Oxford welding machines, fingers crossed yours has it?

12. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

That doesn't look like it has the option for gasless as it would have two dinse sockets at the bottom if it did. Easiest option probably sticking with gas especially as you have a regulator already and you'll probably enjoy it more and get better results with gas.

Mark 2 likes this.
  13. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

^^^^^ is it possable its the same set up as the clarks a wire swap over in where the wire is installed

Tangledfeet likes this.
  14. Tombodge Member

I use the gasless wire toolstation sell. Its the only one ive not had any problems with

15. Kayos

Kayos Member

I dont mind gasless, its OK for my level of bodgery

Advertisements