Gasless Wire, Not A Fan !

1. 1fifer1 Member

Well I've use the mig for the first time with gasless .8 wire and although it did the job I found it more dirty than I expected, don't get me wrong it put down a strong weld using stainless but I could have done it a lot quicker with stick.
    Would I be better off with some gas ? if so what regulator etc would be best, I have the black line 200 amp set up.
    Regards
    Jim

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

all depends on your gas bottle is it going to be a hobby bottle or a boc account bottle

note are you going to be just welding normal metal or are you going to be welding stainless steel

tom2207 likes this.
  3. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Gasless welders work very well for certain things, Friend of mine bought a $100 special, from Harbour Freight in the USA, 130 amp I think. He used it for welding up his hot rod. He started to weld a scruffy rusted piece of tube onto the chassis side rails, which were also a bit messy, and I just knew it would be a disaster.....but it put a great solid run down. Very messy, loads of spatter, but good and solid.

My SIP 130 mig would have fallen by the wayside with some cold lapped rubbish that fell off when looked at a bit hard.

monky harris likes this.
  4. 1fifer1 Member

Right its really for my Son to cut his teeth on, but I would probably go with Mild Steel for now, if the stick is anything to go by it should do a good job but I would like to give him as much of a leg up as possible, what size hobby bottles are there in the UK, is it worth going down that rout to avoid BOC rental and so on :padlock:

5. gaz1

gaz1 Member

hobby bottles are iether half the supply of gas or its about 200 or same amount all depends on where you get your gas bottle from

6. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

stainless? gasless?..........what make is that?

Shedendman likes this.
  7. gaz1

gaz1 Member

8. 1fifer1 Member

that's the one.........does what it says on the tin just expected gasless to be better than it is

9. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

I bought an SGS 5% argon 20 litre today, London area so probably more expensive than some places, £64.50 plus VAT,

10. eddie49 Member

I think TechnicAl was asking about the wire, not the welder.

[ A search on this Forum yields:
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/gasless-stainless-steel-mig-welding-wire.46783/

gaz1 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  11. 1fifer1 Member

Mig Wire,.....just had a look and it is an Ebay special but it did have many units sold to very happy customers ......!:welder:

12. 1fifer1 Member

eddie49 I've just had a look at the thread you forwarded and it says it all really......many thanks ....!

13. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Yes I was........Im intrigued.......Ive never seen Gasless Stainless in 0.8mm (so I assume its European)......Im curious as to how its made.........usually flux cored is made from a large diameter and drawn down to size....O.8mm would need a few anneals (it work hardens) and that means a hydrogen atmosphere and a quench....wondering how they stop the hydrogen and the water getting into the flux...

Those I have seen have been big diameters (2.4mm +) so no need to anneal.

14. 1fifer1 Member

Well if it rusts I was ripped off :doh: I'll let you know in a week or two !

15. KemppiFrog Member

Keep pouring salt water on it, you may not have to wait a 'week or two' .....

16. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Or just show up a pic of the reel?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    I used gasless steel mig wire to do a temporary repair to a stainless exhaust one rainy night under my integrale . . . 15 yrs later, its not obviously corroded . . .

18. KemppiFrog Member

Might be because the SS merged a bit with your steel wire?

19. metalmelt Member

Just for you Al.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2544736373...7779&msclkid=fed185a7063813f0611cdae025bc09ff

Shedendman likes this.
  20. metalmelt Member

One I can see the label is:

HTP America Inc, made in USA.

Advertisements