fwd to rwd project

1. pleej Member

castleford
    all copyed and pasted from other forums

ive been into hondas for years now and allways loved rwd cars but i dont like s2000's or the look of nissans (sorry lol) so thought about building a rwd civic.
    so 2 years ago i started to research every thing i needed to do aswell as teach my self the the skills to carry it out.
    ive had the civic for 2 years now ,so i cut out all the rust and give it a full respray by me and bought my self a s13.
    the civic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so the plan is
    front end
    cut part of the firewall and tunnel out the civic and fit the s13 one in
    make a frame to bolt the front crossmember to and mount the engine ,all the hubs ,suspension and links will be s13 .
    rear end
    cut the boot floor out and mount the rear end to the civic.
    im going to be using the full s13 car loom aswell just swap some plugs over to fit the civic lights and clocks.
    the wheel base of a civic is 98mm longer than a s13 so the prop should be fit but if not i'll get one made.
    good thing is this swap has been done in japan befor but they used a s2000 engine and box ,so i can see what works and want does not .
    nothing flash on the out side of the car just a nice clean looking car.

any help would be great

couple of pics of the s13 , i paid the sum of £500 for it, recon i could get some of the money back by selling the parts i dont need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and pics of the eg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

how the bay looks now

[​IMG]

some bought parts

my cell
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

never seen a car as rusty , every bolt snaped, there must be 50 bolts holding the front bumper on , but i have a small update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im going to drop the front crossmeber off with every thing still on and roll it under the civic then i can start to mock up a subframe to bolt it to the civic.

finaly got some spare time to work on both the cars.
    fuel tank off and started striping the rear end
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

also found some more rot that the body shop should have done last year

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i started on the 200
    the full front and rear subframes along with the engine and box will be off tomoz
    still cant belive how much rust there is lucky all the parts i need are ok.
    also found some realy dodgy work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hand tight washerd up to the nuts gearbox bolt

[​IMG]

rust rust and even the rust had rust on it haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ANY ONE KNOW WHAT ALL THESE PLUGS ARE FOR lolol

[​IMG]

THEN I GOT CUTTING , ALSO CUT THE SHOCKER TOPS OFF ,i need to graft them into the civic's bay so i can use the 200's front suspension ,if i used the civic suspension id have no way of altering the front camber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RETANED ALL THE MOUNTING POINTS FOR THE GEARBOX PROPSHAFT AND THE HAND BREAK FULL ASSEMBLY;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rubber Duck

Rubber Duck Member

Dorset
    That's a hell of a project you've got there. Cool though!!!:cool:

3. cresad67 Member

west mids. U.K.
    Brilliant project. Funnily enough I think I've got a wiring diagram around somewhere for an s13.

Believe it or not I needed it when I fitted an 200 fuel tank into my '78 toyota cressida ( couldn't find an original ) :whistle:

Adam

4. pleej Member

castleford
    lol me too, im using the full 200 loom , be easyer that way i think

5. Engineer pre-moderated

UK
    How do you intend to keep everything exactly in line while doing the alterations? This is very difficult, and is something that most people doing this type of project seem to overlook entirely.

6. pleej Member

castleford
    plumb lines /tape/ wires/ for the center of the car and the center of the wheels
    sort of like a grid map , i you know what i mean.
    im also going to brace the civic so when i start cutting nothing moves or twists .

7. gaz_moose Member

got a decent pair of s13 wings going spare?

grafting the whole loom into the civic sounds like a ball ache. getting the CA to run off just the engine loom is fairly easy.

8. pleej Member

castleford
    na the wings were all rotten . to save all the wiring probs im using the full 200 loom, just have to swap some plugs over for head lights and small bits.

9. Normsthename

Normsthename Member

Leicester, UK
    Will it pass an SVA Test when done?

Andy

10. pleej Member

castleford
    dont need a sva
    ive gone all through this with other people and even phoned up sva, when you read what thay say and what they mean. is 2 diffrent things.

im cutting the honda tunnel out and putting a nissan one in this is classed as a repare with the nissan tunnel being made for a car ,same with the shocker tops.
    its just like cutting the floor out of a old ford and putting a new one in.
    the only time i would have to sva it was if i was making my own tunnel from sheet metal and changing the chassis or suspension location.

11. Nomad Member

Looks like a fun project :D

I've had a few SX200 S13's, great fun & can be real hooligan machines :o:laughing:

If you've not joined yet, have a look at SXOC forums, lots of very good info there from folks who upgrade egngines as a hobby :laughing:
    When you've got it out would be a good time to refresh the bottom end bearings and maybe get the turbo checked over.
    Check the rear subframs bushes, if there's and goo around the mountings they have bust and need changing.

Rust? Yep, it sounds like you have got a genuine S13 :welder:

12. stuvy

stuvy Member

does the s13 have a 15 degree tilt on the engine if memory serves correct?

and you will need to get an egineers report when you upgrade the engine cc. plus youl need to change the engine number on the V5 or its fraud and your insurance wont pay out if you have an accident

13. Engineer pre-moderated

UK
    Wish you luck..............

14. Normsthename

Normsthename Member

Leicester, UK

Going by the above it will definitely need an SVA.........

Andy

15. stretchie_

stretchie_ Member

Awesome project. I love the idea of making my Civic a 4WD for no other reason than to do it.

Loving that car stand, is from CJ Autos?

16. Nomad Member

I like the way the project is going but I'm another one who thinks there's a good chance you will have problems putting it back on the road legally.
    Have mentioned the project to folk who mod cars in a major way - unanimous verdict is not good :(
    More info... http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=110432

Hope it all works out for you, should be fun when it's finished :cool:

17. pleej Member

castleford
    i phoned them told them what i was doing and they told me what i needed to do.
    like i said what they type and mean are 2 diffrent things.

in not saying i dont want to sva it if it turns out im wrong then id have it sva'ed

cant believe how much rust there is , the civic is a older car but only had a bit of rust.
    id like to stick a rb25 in at some point so im not too botherd about the ca18det.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  18. Normsthename

Normsthename Member

Leicester, UK
    Who did you phone?
    I am doing a project myself, putting a Honda CB500 engine into a Aixam Microcar :)
    They only weigh 350kg and the original engine is 20bhp and I am going up to 58bhp :D
    I am actually going down in cc from 505cc to 499cc, so hopefully it will duck under the radar and not need an SVA......

Andy

19. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

Sva

SVA OR IVA is for cars under ten years old unless it's all altered again since i imported a pajero it was SVA but now IVA or similar think your main problem will be insurance and you will need a full engineers report and you may end up on a Q plate basically you are rebodying it all the best with it keep the pictures coming
    :welder::welder:

LINK FOR IVA TEST

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...hicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_177879

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  20. philsmin Member

bolton UK
    After doing a lot of research in to the IVA test and asking a few questions I was told as a basic rule that if you modify the monocoque then you need an IVA, it is a very grey area though if you take things literally it all depends on how you interpret the manual.

I'd just build it and whack it in for MOT, let the insurance know what mods you've done & change the engine number on the log book, you may or may not need to send a letter from an independant garage for the engine number change with the DVLA sometimes they pick up on it, sometimes they don't.........

Nice to see something different :cool:

Advertisements