Frost Biodegradable Rust Remover?

1. owas

owas Member

I was just thinking of how to attack the rusty parts under the car,

I've heard you can mix baking soda and lemon juice to make a citric acid paste ,paint it on and let it sit for abit

Any one tried that?

2. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

When I was a kid I use to use Molasses to de-rust stuff but we did have 4 sugar mills locally to get it from.

3. DeOx gel is sitting on my shelf. Not sure how good it is, but you might like to check out its reviews?

4. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Think it's pretty good stuff. Use it after mechanical prep to get it properly rust free.

5. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    Both Deox Gel and Deox C are good stuff. You might need a few applications though. After removing as much rust as I could with a powerfile, I used cling film over the gel to stop it drying out.

Burdekin likes this.
  6. julianf

julianf Member

I got some of the 85% phosphoric through in the post yesterday. Put some drips (neat) on the chassis and instant bubbling.

I also put a pool on top of some of the alluminium tub (a bit that needs replacing anyway). No bubbling. I checked again late last night and still no sign of anything at all happening.

The phosphoric is fairly thick. Almost like some sort of sugar solution. I'm pretty sure that, with the right application method, it will stay in place fairly well. But, on the other side of things, would probably need diluting / thinning to creep better.

Pleased that it seems to have no effect on the alloy though. I had read conflicting reports as to phosphoric and alloy.

7. zx9

zx9 Member

I don't know about baking soda but recall something about using wall paper paste to make a gel from rust remover / converter.

8. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    I have also used powdered citric acid (cheap on ebay) to soak car parts in to remove rust. I know some on here swear by it, but I felt it didn't work as well as Bilt Hamber Deox C - though it may well depend what the item is. I would think you could mix citric acid powder with wallpaper paste to form a gel like gunk to spot derust small areas.

Bilt Hamber stuff is good but very pricey, especially as it's online only and the p and p adds quite a bit.

One good thing about the citric acid stuff is it can go down the drain or on the garden - it isn't at all toxic, as far as I know.

9. owas

owas Member

I mixed citric acid with just water until it was kind of a paste on this.

• IMG_20191006_134437.jpg
    • IMG_20191006_154306.jpg
    marlinspike and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. brightspark

brightspark Member

cillit bang is the same :laughing:

11. julianf

julianf Member

Ive been playing about with the phosphoric - it seems to work well (ill try and take some photos when its not raining)

A test part on the alluminium showed no result with the phosphoric (surprisingly) however, tonight i checked, and the paint brush that i had been working with had blown somwhere where it shouldnt have, and the alloy under it was quite damaged. I almost wonder if the steel of the paintbrush did some sort of electronic thing and thats why the alloy went bad - i dont know.

Im wondering what the further prep for paint should be on the steel.

Jellonite sell two products -

Rust remover
    &
    Rust converter

Looking at the sheets, the remover is just phosphoric. The sheet says to then wire wheel (etc) the area before paint.
    The rust converter says its over-paintable.

I got the 85% phosphoric, but, used neat, its thick, and hard to apply. Ive ended up watering it down, 50:50, at which point it brushes on very easily (like water). Im too fearful to spray it without way more PPE than i can be bothered to put on at present.

Anyway, it seems to do the (a) job well. The flakey rust fizzes and you get left with a black finish. I just need to work out what to do now!

12. a111r Member

When I did phosphoric on a chassis (1995), IIRC I keyed it down with a low grit and brush painted it with a commercial grade BASF 2K, in body colour.

Primer may well have been involved, but 35 mm negs would have to be checked.

13. julianf

julianf Member

I'm planning on brushing on epoxy primer, and leaving it at that.

Won't be till post mot though, as I want to do it in a barn and I can't move it till it's got a ticket on it.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements