Fordson tractor engine conversion

1. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Like a Leyland Reiver but bigger engine and better suspension.

mastiff.jpg

640 came with and without turbo I think. Possibly only used in machinery, not trucks but I may be wrong.

2. Am333rcr Member

Scotland
    hi

took some pictures today . maybe not the best but just so you can see what I have did. It's in dad's garage so it's being surrounded with rubbish.

In one of the pics I put an alloy boss on the end of the water pump so I could put on 6 blade fan.

it probably needs more work but I kept a middle pivot. and I also kept the oil cooler 20200226_091137.jpg 20200226_091112.jpg 20200226_091054.jpg 20200226_091202.jpg 20200226_090950.jpg 20200226_091054.jpg 20200226_091202.jpg 20200226_090950.jpg

• 20200226_091137.jpg
    nickk, Rig Pig, Cobbler and 4 others like this.
  3. Mikes Member

Thanks for taking and posting the pictures and the comments. I'm back on the job tomorrow so hope to get the relevant bits sorted out, the rubbish cleared away and start taking some proper measurements of all the components. Will keep you posted of progress.

4. minimutly Member

There used to be a Nuffield in the farm behind me, 6 cylinder lorry engine in it. Must have been old, I can remember it as far back as 50 years ago.
    More later there have been numerous Majors with 6 cylinder Ford engines - BIL has one, or two (think the second one was a factory job).
    One point of note on those pics - the exhausts are a nightmare, they should be reversed - the operator runs the risk of getting burnt getting on and off?

5. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Well Perkins V8's take me back. I was clearing some old paperwork out the other day and came across my certificate for successfully completing the training course on thePPerkins V8-510/4

Mick Annick likes this.
  6. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I saw a nice V6 conversion at the 2018 Stourport show....

Stourport18_063.jpg

jpmillermatic likes this.
  7. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

What year? I did the same course!

8. Mikes Member

A few more pictures taken yesterday after I spent a while tidying around the engine and sorting the bits that belonged to it. Am333rcr - does that look like the flat sump that you are referring to? Think the flywheel is going to be the problem as does not have a flat face as it appears to have been originally connected to a feed mill without any form of clutch. The clutch plate and cover apparently came from the same person who supplied the conversion plate and might or might not be correct. If used, will certainly need a much larger diameter release bearing. Hope to start stripping the exhaust manifolds off but studs are very corroded and suspect that they will snap in the head. Been looking at pictures of diferent Perkins V8s and there are many variants of both inlet and exhaust manifolds obviously dependent upon the original fitment of the engine. Lots to think about but at least positive at the moment!

• DSCF0696.JPG
    • DSCF0700.JPG
    • DSCF0691.JPG
    excossack likes this.
  9. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Hi Mick

The certificate is dated 14th May 1971

Mick Annick likes this.
  10. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

[​IMG]

8ob and Mick Annick like this.
  11. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

A few years before me, I’ve lost my certificate but think I was there in 1975

8ob likes this.
  12. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Our class blotted our copy book at the certificate presentation.

They ran a short film about the various vehicles that used Perkins engines and one of them was the tugs moving Concorde, and when Corncorde took off there was a lot of black smoke and someone shouted out Bloody Hell even Concorde uses Perkins engines.
    Needless to say it was not appreciated LOL,

Anguz, pint, Rig Pig and 3 others like this.
  13. Mikes Member

Just as a last update for possibly some time due to the tractor being in the owner's workshop, the last progress was to remove the remaining parts from the tractor that would be in the way of the V8 ( battery tray , original starter rod etc) and then removed the flywheel and conversion plate from the engine and tried it against the tractor bell housing. Sorted-out two sets of Fordson side rails so these will be cut and formed to suit the new engine which we intend to temporarily hang on the bell housing. This will then let the front end to be positioned etc. We did manage to lift the engine on a large engine crane but then couldn't move it as the floor is less than smooth and level. Decided to clear a bit more space around the tractor so that we can get a fore-end loader safely in. All going quite nicely but then social isolation has put an end to our fun.
    Its been an ongoing project for a long while so it can wait until the all clear is sounded.

Rig Pig likes this.
  14. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

It my be worth talking to a guy called Kendo Wilko on FB as he has modified a number of Fergies to take various engines so may have a line on the various mounting plates etc

Mikes likes this.
  15. Mikes Member

A bit of an update after an interlude. Back working on the conversion and have made a good bit of progress. I spent a good long while grinding a lump out of the tractor bell housing to allow the end of the Perkins V8 starter motor to be accommodated. A filthy job with cast iron dust everywhere. I've now cleaned the bell housing out so it looks much better.
    Also removed the two cast iron exhaust manifolds as these were both broken and they would have clashed with the tractor. We will probably opt for fabricated pipes.
    Finally, managed to lift the engine with the adaptor plate fitted and bolt it to the tractor albeit in a very temporary manor. This will allow me to start fabricating the modified side rails. At the same time I retrieved the tractor front-end from the hedge and managed to drill out the brocken bolts from where the side rails attach. This was then positioned in front of the tractor ready for fitting. Only one photo I'm afraid but hopefully gives a view of the progress. Largest concern now is the accuracy of the conversion plate which was bought by the owner from another source . Horrible feeling it will need a bit of re-working as I pr IMG_0702.JPG ogress.

Farside and Anguz like this.
Advertisements