Fordson tractor engine conversion

1. Mikes Member

I've just started to look at a stalled engine conversion project and knowing what a diverse range of interests the forum members have, thought I would share it with the hope that someone might have been involved in something similar.
    The project was to mate a Perkins V8 diesel to a Fordson Major. Mainly as a bit of fun and not for tractor pulling or the like. The owner obtained a V8 and bought a home made conversion plate which bolts to the back of the engine and the tractor bell housing. After several attempts to get a suitable clutch to fit, the project stalled and the tractor and engine have sat gathering dust for some good few years.
    I've done a bit of research and at least the tractor is non-live drive which apparently is the one to use.
    I will hopefully get some photo's on Thursday if we can get enough clutter removed to be able to see the right parts. Appears to be a lot of other junk lying on it which might or might not be for it.
    I expect to have to go right back to the start and measure both 'ends' to see what I've actually got to work with. The engine had been used on a grain drier so didn't have a clutch.
    Could be a long job as all the photo's of conversions that I've seen appear to be slightly different in their approach.
    I like a challenge! (might regret saying this later).

2. lincoln2013 Member

South west UK
    Looking forward to seeing this & it will make a nice change from all the 6cyl conversions (not that I dislike 6cyl majors).

3. Kayos

Kayos Member

Is the perkins V8 the one that just turns diesel into noise? If so it should be fun

stuvy likes this.
  4. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    They do make rather a glorious din. They come in 510(?), 540 and 640 CID as far as I know.

5. Mikes Member

Yes, I suspect the owner has heard one before. No real practical use but nice to listen to. Will have to investigate and see what the engine size is.

6. minimutly Member

It's actually a major, the Fordson was a really archaic worm drive thing.

7. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

510’s used to leak oil like a sieve from the v cover and were gutless, the 540 was a vast improvement, though I’ve no experience of the 640 so can’t comment. Used to be given a week to do a full rebuild on these - pistons, liners, shells, valves etc. Most of the time was taken up pulling the liners with a puller that was little more than a length of threaded rod with a bell on top and a die to pull the liner up.

8. Am333rcr Member

Scotland
    hi

I am doing the same project just for fun. I have moved house so need to get it to my new one. It's a 540 perkins. its from a massey combine. if Its smokin it ain't broken. bit of a snorter.

mine is a no live drive . I am pretty sure from memory .it is just the standard clutch

Mick Annick likes this.
  9. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

High speed trenches if you drop the V8 in this!
    20200218_220703.jpg

10. Paul Marsden New Member

Just been sent this link, so thought I'd join in,
    Got a major with a v8 perkins 510 tuned up
    Did it about 15 years ago, best using a major with non live drive, use a 16 inch clutch out of a iveco or cargo, can't remember now, you will have to grind the bell housing out abit and also put a recess on the thrust bearing carrier so it's sits further back on the input shaft,, you need to widen chassis rails, cooling is a problem, I got a custom rad built if you need to know anything let me know,

arther dailey and Morrisman like this.
  11. Am333rcr Member

Scotland
    .hi

if it helps I will take few pictures of it on Thursday

12. Mikes Member

Yes please to the photo's. Think there are many solutions to the side rails etc so would be good to see .

13. Mikes Member

Paul, Thanks for the useful info - just what I need and might save me a bit of time and head scratching. I've spoken to one other owner of a V8 conversion and he could only run his for a few minutes on the standard rad. The donor engine came with its original rad and it's a monster so gives an idea of the area that I need to achieve.

14. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

Photos please chaps!

I’ve still got a 18 inch long 1/4 drive extension from when I worked on them - needed if you’re going to remove or refit the injector pump...

15. Mikes Member

Managed to get a couple of photo's yesterday but unfortunately it's sat in the darkest corner of the workshop and ran out of time to get it moved so apologies DSCF0678.JPG DSCF0679.JPG for poor quality. The conversion plate is mounted to the engine and I'm not sure what the flywheel is from. Could be that it was the one that came with the engine. Plenty more investigation to do but must get it all moved into an area with better lighting and clear all of the accumulated rubbish.

16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Let there be light...... ;)

V8 engine pic.JPG

Stingray, Mikes and Dcal like this.
  17. Am333rcr Member

Scotland
    hi

I will get pictures to you. i ran out of time sorry .

out of interest do you have matching pair?I found them hard and expensive to get. The combine ones don't match. also have you got the flat aluminium sump?

18. Mikes Member

The guy who owns the tractor didn't have too much trouble locating the V8 at the time and I think he paid £850 for it complete with rad and silencers and saw it running before removed from the feed mill or corn drier that it was connected to.
    Can't tell you what sump it has until I can get it moved to a more accessible location - hopefully next Thursday as I only work at his yard one day a week. Must admit that I haven't seen so many engines being offered. Suspect the supply of old MF combines and large Ford Cargos / D Series has dried-up. Years back, a friend of mine used to buy fire engines for breaking and he used to sell any Perkins V8s from them back to Perkins.

19. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    If it's from a combine it's likely a 640. The 500s also found in Leyland Super Mastiff.

20. Am333rcr Member

Scotland
    mines the 540 from combine I am pretty sure . mine has flat alloy sump unlike some of the lorry ones.640 had a turbo I thought.

I wish it was that cheap when I was looking haha

what's a Leyland super mastiff

Advertisements