Ford Ka project

1. barny Member

Surrey
    The conversion has been done before so I know from pictures where things will sit. And as long as I get it all squared up to the diff it will be fine.

2. barny Member

Surrey
    Got some more done today, pics aren't great sorry.

The time flew by today i must have been having fun. Bulkhead is nearly there, nearly time for the tunnel.

• IMG_1504.jpg
    • IMG_1513.jpg
    • IMG_1514.jpg
    • IMG_1521.jpg
  3. stuvy

stuvy Member

how far is the engine going back into the car buddy? just curious as i saw danny working on the yb ka ages ago and the 4th cylinder looked under the dash and into the car pretty much, what gear box you sticking in it? I totally forgot to ask so many questions i had for you il have to come down again:laughing:

4. barny Member

Surrey
    Number 4 will be just under the scuttle so easy to get to and the box will be a rwd cossie job.
    You are welcome to pop down mate, I'm planning an underseal removal party so come to that and bring a scraper ;)

5. barny Member

Surrey
    Got the start of the tunnel in so decided to mock up an engine to see what space i was going to have and where to have the mounting points.

the last pic is of a diff cradle im going to make in the near future, picking up a diff next week :)

• IMG_1561.jpg
    • IMG_1556.jpg
    • IMG_1543.jpg
  6. stuvy

stuvy Member

are the lower arms that run between the rear wheels removable? as in quick diff changes if needed. Il give you a day scrapping if you camp at ford fair this year and promise to bring this and the other two ka's we will sort logistics out no probs!

7. barny Member

Surrey
    It will all be pretty quick to take off yeah and not sure on the camping as part of the fun is the big convoy in the morning. We had 8 cars last year, was a good crack.
    I will do my best to get the Ka there this year.
    6 months to go!

Prop tunnel is tacked in now, will finish that today if I can get out in the snow

8. stuvy

stuvy Member

you should camp as the night life is mad. loads of beer, uncooked burgers and your on the door step for the morning! 6months could be tight but if your determined youl do it!

Are you going to any other shows this year?

9. barny Member

Surrey
    Test fitted the ka dash for a laugh and it went in with only minor cutting to the bottom.
    need the cage in to see if i can use this dash or not

• IMG_1594.jpg
  10. stuvy

stuvy Member

what level of cage are you going for? Will it have a bar across the screen too? just chop the edges out and make some plates to cover it up then flock it, jobsagoodun';)

11. barny Member

Surrey
    Custom cage's club Class 3 then add in side and rear bars to suit.
    Will probably run one under the screen so I can take off supports for the steering column.
    Got a flap disc on the welds today, those things are great!
    It was all going well until my grinder died....have to find some new bushes for it and crack on.
    Looking at using a Volvo 5 pot turbo now instead of the Saab 4. Got one lined up so see if it's any good.
    It's the 2.3 20v turbo from an 850

12. stuvy

stuvy Member

i love the 5cylinder noise, they too have monster levels of torque and power waiting to be released!

13. barny Member

Surrey
    Quick pic of the tunnel all together

• IMG_1621.jpg
  14. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

15. barny Member

Surrey
    Good find.
    Lots of work gone into that one.
    Body kits are shocking on these cars!
    I'm on a Ka forum and they only seem to be interested if you have Lexus lights or a boot full of subs.

16. barny Member

Surrey
    Had another good weekend on the car and with some help i got the car lifted onto my spit.

• IMG_1659.jpg
    • IMG_1658.jpg
    • IMG_1647.jpg
    • IMG_1655.jpg
    • IMG_1644.jpg
    • IMG_1645.jpg
  17. rkde

rkde Me called Richard

Solihull, UK
    Look really good, love that spit roast frame... Wish I had done one on many of my past cars. love watching this build

Some nice welds on that box section too

18. barny Member

Surrey
    Thanks Richard,

They do make life so much easier, no way would i be stripping off all the underseal on my back.
    Its going to take a while with it on the spit.

Great work on the mini too, looks alot more involved than what im doing.

19. tunnel looks really good (:, what gearbox you planning on using?

20. barny Member

Surrey
    A BMW box is most likely but I'm on a Volvo forum and they say Volvo have a rwd box but they are rare from what I can see

Advertisements