Fobco Star advice

1. katluke Member

sunderland
    I recently bought a single phase Fobco Star Pillar drill.It had been working great with no play in the quill at all,however whilst using it tonight the chuck fell off :rolleyes: After close inspection the screw that holds the chuck on is missing and the remains of the screw are snapped up inside the shaft. Im after some advice please gents. what would be the best way to remove the remains of the screw and would anyone know what thread and size the screw would have been ? Or could anyone advise me if I could take it anywhere to be fixed. Im sure parts can still be bought for these machines but the problem will be to get the broken screw out.Thanks for any replys.

ps it is fitted with a no6 taper Jacobs chuck.

2. eil Member

N Wales
    Are you answering in the right thread RTB ?.

3. penfold

penfold Ambassador plenipotentiary

Do you have a lathe? If so, remove the quill shaft and drill out the screw with that. A fixed steady may be required.

If not it may be doable with a handheld drill but you would be better removing the shaft to make drilling it out easier. A novel way of doing might be to hold a twist drill in a machine vice and bring the quill shaft down onto it with the drill running, but you'd still have to dismantle it first to centre punch the remains of the screw.

Depending on how squeamish you are about bodges, you could put the chuck back on the taper with a (small!)dab of loctite; a jacobs taper should offer a good grip on its own unless it's very poor quality.

4. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

Moved to correct thread????..........rtb

5. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

No.

6. Flathead_Dave Member

Oxon,England
    If it's up the centre of the shaft,it sounds like it could be some sort of drawbar.
    Have you looked to see if it's sticking out the top with a nut on it?

7. nodeward Member

newbury
    yeh morse taper should not have a screw in it really, pics?

8. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Post a pic i've got a fobco drill if its the same I might be able to help.

9. hareng Member

Little Fobco at last place of work had a drawbar on MT2 taper.
    Got two drills here now with drawbar and MT3, its a common fitting.

For usual drilling its not needed though.

10. katluke Member

sunderland
    Thanks for the replys :cool: When I looked at it there is a screw broken about 5mm up inside the shaft. No photos as I needed to be using it again asap so I took the easy route and put a dab of Locktite in the chuck then put it on the shaft and using a small bottle jack gave it a little push up the shaft (very gentle).I know its a bodge but I will get round to fixing it properly when I dont need to use it as much. (busy making bunk beds ) Thanks again.

11. Flathead_Dave Member

Oxon,England
    If the screw is only 5mm up inside the shaft,and the chuck fits on the outside of the shaft,it would leave two options.The chuck is held by a screw up the centre like on a cordless drill,or it uses a drawbar.
    If it is a drawerbar,just remove the belt cover on top,and you'll see it sticking out the top of the shaft with a nut on it.It should just pull out the top and you can replace it with a length of studding.

12. katluke Member

sunderland
    Thanks for that info,I will have a look at it tomorrow :cool:

Advertisements