Flaky incoming power supply to workshop - options

1. Roger440 Member

Buckingham
    Hmmmm. Ive heard nothing. Holds pressure for days when left. Are you saying, that if the valve was stuck open, the tank would empty through the air end?

Im now doubting myself. Im there tommorow morning to check, but basically, if i have 100psi in the tank, the air end gauge, the one in the middle of the black plastic cover should show zero?

2. premmington

premmington Member

Empty the tank and see if the gauge drops.

You might have a "gauge that is stuck"....?

3. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

PFC corrector but I don't know how it will affect the issue it might cause problems on the line.
    For example here in Italy everyone who has a bigger than 10kW supply has to fit one but are expensive and fairly complex because they have a circuit that swap capacitors between phases depending on the current draw and power factor .
    That would be a permanent solution but I've never worked on something similar do I'm just a residential electrician ,I don't do much on commercial or industrial.
    I'll try to make a research about an easy solution to your problem

4. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Made research about.
    Essentially you have few options .
    Is your compressor a three phase unit?
    If so you might use an inverter as soft starter

5. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Might be worth checking all the electrical connections in you unit AND all the ones that are between it and the mains. Any loose ones will cause volt drop problems too.

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. premmington

premmington Member

Your quote - "hillbilly engineering"

That made a rough fat mechanic smile :waving:

Memmeddu and James1979 like this.
  7. Roger440 Member

Buckingham
    Its single phase. As is the entire farm. No 3 phase anywhere nearby. Apart from the pylons running across the field. So near, yet so far!

Memmeddu likes this.
  8. Roger440 Member

Buckingham

Ok, an update. Most
    Ok, an update. Most of the time the air end gauge reads zero, but not every time. But even when zero it cant get going. It also has the same problem as it approaches the cut out pressure of 150psi. At about 145, it pulses and trips out.

So i disconected the output and ran the compressor on no load for an hour. Reconnected it and it was fine. While i was using it during the day all was well. Later, it didnt get used for an hour, and again, starting tripping out either on start or at peak pressure.

Conclusion from that is, if its warm enough, it OK. So heater required.

However, ive concluded thats its not big enough anyway. So next plan is to temp install my 3hp piston compressor and see how that fares. Sadly, that means lots of noise :(

Thanks for the advice :)

Memmeddu likes this.
  9. Roger440 Member

Buckingham
    While waiting for the landlord to look at the supply, i removed the hydrovane, and installed my old 3hp piston compressor. It seems happy enough, no issues starting, though i did manage to stall it at 140osi by switching it off and back on at the mains. However, when running it trips out at 150 and back in at 100 and its quite happy.
    IMG_20201202_182053_resized_20201203_095336105.jpg
    Meanwhile, this popped up locally. Engine nearly new, compressor not well. LOTS of oil carry over and crankcase breathing heavily. Too cheap to turn down, but something else to fix!

Advertisements