Final picked up my new project. 1993 1275i Mini Cooper

1. minimutly Member

Maybe, but pretty sure they were 175 - rare 30 years ago. I think they were American? My mate had some goodyear ultragrips, agen long gone.

2. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

Just think how tall a 175/70 tyre is, wouldn't fit under a mini wing unless you turned it into some sort of Bigfoot 4X4 :laughing:

3. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

I'd put a full scuttle panel on if I was you Exuptoy, it's bound to go around the wiper/washer jet holes pretty soon after you've resprayed it.
    It's a particularly bad spot on rover coopers along with the edge of the window underneath the rubber.

Exuptoy likes this.
  4. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

I have a full scuttle coming. Only down side is loosing the stamped vin. Never changed a scuttle (or front panel before come to that) which was why I went with Heritage panels.

Anything I should look for as I never took any measurements when I started?
    I have a few localised repairs to do on the flitches (forward and aft) before the panels arrive So I can get on with that stuff.

5. minimutly Member

Yep, huge, but that's what we used - this was the Goodyear:-
    https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/200131/imp-wheel-goodyear-tyre-scrapped

The seller thinks it's an imp wheel, but that's a viva wheel I think. I had imp wheels, slightly wider, bigger 'ole in the middle. Then I found some Astrali alloys..

Exuptoy likes this.
  6. minimutly Member

Be prepared for rot in the panel behind the scuttle...

Exuptoy likes this.
  7. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

That’s a fair comment but you have to break some eggs to make a cake. :D

Spoken to Keith Calver regarding duplex timing gears and he advised that his IWIS simplex big pin timing chain is a straight swap for the standard SPi chain and I can retain my tensioner and gears and is suitable up to full race spec so I’ve ordered one from him at £32+ the dreaded and it should be winging its way to me as we speak. He reckons most duplex stuff out there these days is cheap and of poor quality.
    I’ve purchased a new genuine water pump and fitting kit so when my timing cover seal and gasket arrive it should be possible to rebuild it all and get the motor back up and running before turning my attention to the sticking clutch.

Nick DV, slim_boy_fat and minimutly like this.
  8. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

Ah I thought you was talking about proper road tyres, rather than rally specials.

The way I do the scuttle is before you cut it off measure and take notes of the windscreen gap about every 6 inches, from one side to the other.
    Another tip would be to get a new windscreen rubber before you put the screen back in, makes it a lot easier the rubber is nicely soft pliable.

Nick DV, slim_boy_fat and Exuptoy like this.
  9. mr haynes Member

Top dash rail will probably be toast too along with top 3-4" of bulkhead.
    I wouldn't worry about losing the vin, i'd be suspicious if it still had it on the scuttle!

Also do the shock mounts before putting frontend anywhere near car, much easier with wings out the way

10. mr haynes Member

From memory even the 155/70/12 tyre fouled the radius arm on standard setup

11. minimutly Member

Depends how far out you had them, and ultragrips only needed on the front. I remembered one of my sets was from Vredestine?

12. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

Thought I’d fit my new engine parts today, removed the water pump, removed the timing chain, cleaned the front plate ready for my new chain, started to reassemble and noticed some buffoon had placed too long a bolt in the top of the timing cover which has jacked out the plate bending it then damaged the thread!!! All back off then ordered a new front timing plate from mini spares.

My new Calver heavier duty big pin IWIS chain.

676E684F-FBED-4970-AFFA-F2CD5BCE3AA9.jpeg D8C03AAC-19ED-4B3B-9143-E0C1298ED2F4.jpeg

142FAC6D-45E4-4AFB-B7F2-BFCA1FB3D292.jpeg

Slightly dejected I decided to pick apart my front corner then trimmed the rot out of the roof.
    Just need to collect gas in the morning and I can glue it in.
    Quite happy with the outcome.

004BF7ED-B669-4CAF-81F2-08F910F379D4.jpeg

E09091D2-33A1-45CD-A12A-930A3460575B.jpeg AA2E9D1B-4B1F-42C1-A1BC-3BD8C7627CB8.jpeg

Also cut out the scuttle which is in remarkable shape, just the ends to tidy up when I fit it.

7F5F4C13-2C9B-449D-B41C-09226FE7FF4F.jpeg

13. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

Looks really good, already done more to your mini than we have to ours .

Exuptoy likes this.
  14. bert

bert Member

Your going to need to take the top dash pad out so you can grind off the rest of the scuttle and weld on the new one. Under that seam you will have a little rust.

Your inner wings look a bit ropey too, if that was one I was restoring it would be getting new ones of those too.

15. bert

bert Member

This is what needs to be removed when replacing the scuttle

• 20200514_110058.jpg
    Nick DV and Exuptoy like this.
  16. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

Yeah, cheers fella, I know what needs removing. I just cut back to the edge to see what it was like under the scuttle. Top rail will be out shortly. This was never meant to be a restoration but a rolling resto to keep it somewhat mobile. .........it’s growing arms and legs :D
    I’ll be cleaning up the inners to see if they’re salvageable, if I can get away with repairs I might just do that. If not they’ll be coming out.

I really need the interior out including the red carpets, half leather and back instead of out. We’ll see. I don’t want to go any further with the removal of the scuttle until I have the new one here to measure.

Nick DV and bert like this.
  17. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

A tip for the padded dash rail, cut off the middle stud. Makes it a lot easier you come to putting it back in, with it removed.

Exuptoy likes this.
  18. bert

bert Member

It's not exactly hard to put them in with the center stud. Without it they vibrate and rattle.

Exuptoy likes this.
  19. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

It's a good move for the future, if you remove the centre stud you can get the padded rail out in future without taking the windscreen out.
    They don't vibrate/rattle to a greater extent either, a bit like when they went from 4 studs to 3 made no difference to the mini's squeaks & rattles.

Exuptoy likes this.
  20. minimutly Member

Hmmmm, neVer needed to remove the screen for that?

Exuptoy likes this.
Advertisements