Equipment for a total beginner.

1. Retired Forum Supporter

Hi,

I've never used a Mig welder but have used arc welders since 1962 having been taught on industrial 3 phase oil cooled Oxfords; over the years I've owned a number of cheap arc welders an SIP Weldmate for about ten years which did a good job as long as I didn't push it otherwise it would sulk for half an hour but it never let me down; I always wanted an Oxford though and a few years ago gave the SIP to a friend and finally bought a Pickhill (Oxford) Bantam 180A oil cooled it running on either 3 phase or single phase; I installed a 32A single phase circuit protected by a "C" type mcb to power it from. It's a beauty but no way can I lift it on my own; it took two of us to load it and unload it from the car; I built a wheeled trolley for it and unlike the SIP this Bantam will run 24 hours a day without tripping out; it's just a joy to own and use.

Years ago a friend bought a Mig welder and was delighted as he showed me some of his welds he saying he'd modified the spool drive; I couldn't believe what I saw; he'd tried welding an angle iron trailer chassis and to be polite the weld looked like bird droppings; even as apprentices we never produced such bad welds.

About a year ago my lovely wife generously bought me a Parweld Tig welder because I fancied having a go at welding aluminium which I can now do. My welding needs are fully covered now with the Bantam and the Parweld.

The very best of luck to your wife in her welding endeavours; every welding novice suffers sticking and with arc welding some degree of "Arc eye" but a bit of practice soon overcomes both these; one big problem I can see ahead for you if your wife takes to welding is possibly a lot of expense ahead once she wants to try Tig welding which will bring tears to your wallet. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

barking mat and duncans like this.
  2. duncans

duncans Member

another thing when I go in my shed and using my angle grinder and welding I come out at the end of a few hours and I look as though I've done a 12hour shift on coal face haha i look like a miner hahaaaa

Retired and barking mat like this.
  3. duncans

duncans Member

I see your buying a MIG welder id get some anti splatter gel it cost me £10.00 but it makes a lot of difference Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 18.36.32.png

gt6s likes this.
  4. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Yes that really is a real thing you can buy ^^^ :laughing:

5. DangerMouse

DangerMouse New Member

Thanks Mat, you're a star.

6. DangerMouse

DangerMouse New Member

Thanks Duncans that's a good piece of advice. I'll check Amazon.

7. gt6s Member

Used it ONCE found no need

8. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Same as me, I bought a can of anti splatter aerosol probably 10 years ago, have I ever used it? No, just sat on the shelf collecting dust. I must try it sometime .......

9. duncans

duncans Member

it may be that I use co2 think it splatters more but I find it good I'm not taking the shroud off all-time tapping it to get all the crap out of it

10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

While you're doing that, point out the green buttons at the top of the page - the tutorials she'll find there are very good. :thumbup:

duncans and barking mat like this.
  11. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

No worries.

Advertisements