English wheeling machine

1. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Excellent wheeling machine. I'd highly recommend a MPH motor panel course, also David Gardiner I believe is doing classes and Contour Autocraft are another good company to do classes with....

2. lotus 30

lotus 30 classic car enthusiast mostly lotus

Windows phone_20161120_15_23_25_Pro_LI.jpg At last i got access to my ranahla wheeling machine and got it to my home w/shop i could do with some bottom wheels anyone got any my word it was heavy

Mee, ronan and Maxakarudy like this.
  3. Maxakarudy

Maxakarudy Member

Yes I bet it's heavy and I bet it was equally expensive, not much change from 3.5k I recon, but worth every penny.:thumbup:
    If you pick it from the top with a sling, make sure wheels are under slight pressure with each other, then use a ratchet strap to clamp them together, then lift it, that way you won't stress the backbone while lifting.
    If you need lessons on it, as already said, MPH panels is the place to go, Geoff is great bloke to learn from...www.mphmotorpanels.com.
    With regard to anvils, you have a choice, true radius or flat anvils, most popular are flats, I recently bought some from ebay.162251453010, Adam can make what ever you want, they run true with no bounce.
    Check that your top wheel turns with any up & down movement or you'll have to get that skimmed, you can't start wheeling until that is correct
    How did you find the Ranalah, they are very sought after & rare, very nice find:clapping:
    Martin

4. lotus 30

I have had it for thirty years just left it at my old address until i needed it which is now i moved out 18years ago LOL but i sold the house to a life long friend so no problem Len pritchard of williams and pritchard gave it to me when he was retiring i also have his fly press. Oops already brought here on the front of a teli handler and drove it for three miles in the lanes Windows phone_20161120_16_44_22_Pro_LI.jpg

Ruffian likes this.
  5. Maxakarudy

Maxakarudy Member

Well, that wheel is made of strong stuff.
    So you are second person I know with Len Pritchards wheel, :laughing:, Geoff Moss has has got one aswell, with signed letter from him, I wonder if there are anymore about?:whistle:
    So how did you know Len Pritchard?

6. lotus 30

He re bodied my old lotus eleven back in 1984 and he got on well with mike Brotherwood who restores historic lotus i was with him visiting lens place and he was down sizing so mike had a wheel as did i so that is three english wheels from williams and prichard

Maxakarudy likes this.
  7. lotus 30

The Ranalah is bolted in and painted cleaned up the wheels and wheeled my boot lid on my old car Windows phone_20161128_16_48_23_Pro_LI.jpg DSCN1744.jpg

eSCHEn likes this.
  8. KemppiFrog Member

That IS a big bit of kit. Nice... drool..

Just out of interest..What old car? another Lotus?

lotus 30 likes this.
  9. I am soooooo impressed.

Mind you, I'm very easily impressed. :laughing:

On a more serious note, I wish I'd have made mine with a 45deg bottom anvil support.

Paul G

RonA and lotus 30 like this.
  10. lotus 30

Yes sorry only just read that it is a 1955 mk six

11. lotus 30

12. The lower roller, called the anvil, sits in a cradle, and this arrangement is supported by the lower arm.
    With your frame this arm sits at an angle (about 45deg) so if you were to make a mudguard it would form and
    roll under your anvil adjustment screw.

My frame is a square shape with the support arm a vertical telescopic affair, so when I roll a mudguard lengthwise
    the end clashes on the frame as I roll. I couldn't make a mudguard that was greater than half a circle.

If I ever need to then have the kettle on ready. :thumbup:

Please ignore the jenny wheels that have crept into the bottom left corner of the pic.

Paul G

wheel s.jpg

gordon stephenson likes this.
  13. KemppiFrog Member

Thanks, a friend restored a Mk 6 and had a lot of fun.

14. lotus 30

Yep those jenny's creep in every where.
    I understand now thanks ref the lower anvil angle
    Where did you get the anvils i need to make some but when i looked at getting 3.5x3.5 inch steel HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF IT cripes made my eyes bleed.

15. Maxakarudy

Maxakarudy Member

Consider the anvils an investment, it's easier to justify;)
    You don't need a full set, 3 or 4 will do most shapes
    The Wheel looks great with a new coat on it:thumbup:

16. lotus 30

:whistle:
    OHH No Not another investment i can here the wife already

17. You answered your own question. :clapping:

Any silly bu**er can buy them.
    I turned them on my lathe, case hardened, & polished.

Just make sure the blow is wide enough.

Mee likes this.
  18. lotus 30

Yep i can make them but as i said the material cost amazed me
    What grade of steel did you use and where can i get it.i looked on ebay for en8 but failed to find any the size i wanted.
    how did you harden them did you use casenit or whatever it is called

19. I bought 500mm x 45 dia of EN8 the other day and it was £32 delivered from metalbitsburnley (eBay) I didn't think that too bad
    considering it would cost me £20 just to collect an offcut, plus what it would cost.
    Metal is sold by weight so heavy stuff costs proportionately more.
    I think metal is cheap considering what's involved in making it.

Hardened with this.

casehard.jpg

IMHO the advantage of making your own is that YOU control the quality.

Cheers,
    Paul G

p.s. quote "i looked at getting 3.5x3.5 inch steel"
    Why this size?

20. lotus 30

Hi Paul thanks for that my one anvil i have is an original and that is the size of wheel originally fitted and i am of the type to not try and invent the wheel if thats how they made em for this machine then i shall do the same.
    Ref cost of material i agree with the processes it goes through it is cheep but i have collected stuff for a life time and not used to paying for it i usually acquire material it just came as a shock just an old timer's point of view

Advertisements