Electrician for house rewire

1. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

I had half the house rewired a couple of years ago with the rest of the house due to be done this year. Consumer unit is fully wired and cables ready under the floor upstairs.

After the first lockdown my electrician has become too busy. Other local electricians are too busy. I've had one quote over £10k from someone who understandably isn't very busy (original quote for the whole place was 4 to 5k).

Are there any electricians near Bedford who could help?

Otherwise is it something I can legally do myself as I'm not connecting back to the consumer unit? Or is there a better system these days to get building regs sign off?

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

If you feel competent do it yourself.

It's not rocket science.

Then pay a proper electrician to inspect it and sign it off.

3. brightspark

brightspark Member

and that's where u run in to problems . getting someone to do it who doesn't know your work and they have put there name to it :)ask your original electrician if he would do it if you run all the cables and he connects and tests

Matrixx, James1979, mtt.tr and 8 others like this.
  4. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

That's a good idea. I can understand the problems getting someone to sign stuff off if they didn't do it - I wouldn't be prepared to do that.

I doubt the original electrician will be interested. He is mostly commercial and really busy after the world ended for a few months earlier this year. I'll ask.

Any other ideas much appreciated. It's holding me up and I'm getting quite depressed not getting on with things.

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

you could ask at the local electrical wholesalers if they know anyone that would test it for you :)theres a fair few round our way that would if the jobs right

mtt.tr, Parm, gaz1 and 2 others like this.
  6. MCKDAVID Member

depends on what's holding you up, if you need to run cables behind walls etc, do that first until you get a spark, take plenty of photographs of the routing, and fixings etc so you can show them to the guy signing off, or the spark doing it. That way they can see you're not a chancer, and you can crack on with other things until they're available. Also the photos are useful reference later when you can't remember exactly where you put them. I was really glad I did that with underground piping, only a few years after, photos put me right to it I was miles off from where I thought it was...

dobbslc and malcolm like this.
  7. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

We have the equivalent of Lloyds (Bureau Veritas), who do annual inspections of electrical installations in our offices and workshop.

After checking the earths, they check the diameter of cables coming off the MCB's. Then test all the RCD's to see when they go off.

They then produce a report.

That's all.

8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Did most of mine myself (except kitchen) ...then got mate of mate in to install CU and do signoff. He did the kitchen but only because I wanted to push the job forwards....I have to say he did a great job in the kitchen with individual panel for the appliances (I would never have thought of that)

It's not rocket science but you have to know the basics. It's funny because what I pulled out was really shocking!

• 16050295190028565208460783772481.jpg
    Parm, jsf55, zx9 and 1 other person like this.
  9. brightspark

brightspark Member

god those grid switches are a dead loss to wire and replace. I never use them. I just fit sockets for appliances in adjacent cupboards for isolation

sleepygit, Martinb, mtt.tr and 3 others like this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Member

as I have to agree with brightspark here

better to ask if your electrician would certificate for you

yes you can wire it in yourself, but you would still have to pay for someone to certificate it for you at cost

ours is around 200-300.00

but we know the electricians and theyve seen and tested our work

the added benefit you can also ask for advice on here as well :thumbup:

brightspark likes this.
  11. tigdlo Member

Electrical Installation Condition Reports are likely to be performed by an electrician that didn't do the wiring in the first place, getting it tested and inspected shouldn't an issue.

The issue I found when thinking about doing this kind of work myself would be reporting to building control for works that fall under part P. Electricians signed up to a part P protection racket scheme don't have to report every job falling under part P to the local building control.

I could do the work I need to do in about a week, £120 for a copy of the regs, £750 for a proper tester and about £1200 in parts. I'll see what price the electrician comes up with.

12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Planning is funny...change the wiring in a kitchen and you have to notify the council?

Build a new house in your back garden without telling the council...then 4 years later apply for retrospective planning and bingo it's all legal!

Kitchen switchboard came in very handy when the washing machine motor developed a fault....just switched it off at the board. Same happened with the built in fridge too...at 11pm...isolated till morning.

13. brightspark

brightspark Member

no different or harder than unplugging them in adjacent cupboards then :)

Martinb likes this.
  14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Well you say that...except you have to know which cupboard...and then you have to empty the cupboard of stuff.

My cooker isolation is at the back of a cupboard...after it was installed the kitchen "lemans" unit went in...that's fun to get to...with a bad back!

15. Dee J Member

Check out the current requirements for building regs part p notification. AFAIK if you're not changing the consumer unit and you aren't adding whole new circuits or doing any work on bathroom electrics then most other stuff is open to any competent person to do.

16. Ali

Ali Member

When you find that sparky who will sign off your work, pay him/her handsomely and make tea and biscuits regularly so they want to come back...they’re hard to find. Sometimes if you just do the first fix work so they connect all the sockets etc. the job appeals more to them.

17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Now I think about it that's how mine was....upstairs was done but downstairs was first fix. He did the second fix, kitchen, CU, garage armoured + garage CU. That came to around £1,200 but that was 7 years ago and it was mates rates too. I had already bought most of the materials (sockets, light fittings etc)...he got the CU and the armoured and garage CU in that price. We just did basic light fittings....then replaced them later with what we wanted (less faffing about on the day)

18. brightspark

brightspark Member

ive jacked in my registration but can get jobs ive done tested for between 100 and 150 quid by a few of the lads :)probably need about 5 a year doing now officially . some don't want to pay extra and don't bother with the paperwork :laughing:

19. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

like wise, works out better just stay away from the notifiable works i leave that to the pros, bathroom and kitchen fitters

sleepygit and brightspark like this.
  20. gaz1

gaz1 Member

sorry but i prefer isolation switched fuse above the worktop much better and with things nowadays you can have name plates for each plugged in unit

dont need a cupboard or a switched box unit for it either
    faster to turn off in an emergency and you can isolate it while working on it

Advertisements