electric chain hoists?

1. brewdexta

brewdexta Forum Supporter

Yorkshire
    I'm looking for a second hand chain winch, about 1000kg. My barn/workshop is built into a hillside, the workshop is above the barn. There is access to the workshop at one end, but its narrow and there's 5 steps to climb, so not ideal for heavy items.

I have a hatch in the workshop floor, about 1.1m square into the barn below. Above the hatch there is beam with two beam trolleys on it, a 1 tonne and a 2 tonne. I have manual chain winches on both with similar SWL respectively. I usually use the small winch to lift the plate in the floor and the bigger one for the lift.

Most of the stuff I lift is between 200 and 600kg, occasionally a tad more. The lift height in total is about 6m from barn floor to base of the winch. I probably use the winch in the workshop about 20 times a year to move within the workshop, and through the hatch 10 times, but the frequency may increase a bit once if I cease to be a wage slave.

Problems I have are that manual chain hoist's chain gets in the way and damages freshly painted stuff. Both spare lifting chain and the operating chain. I believe the lifting chains fits in the bag so avoids this issue? There is also the convenience side of it, less effort, chain not catching/jamming etc.

There's a few second hand chain hoists locally, usually 110v. I have a transformer somewhere, and 3 phase. I've never had any dealings with electric winches of any type so not sure what is good or bad and approx cost.

Anybody got any experience of these?

Cheers
    Andy

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

you also have to take into account of wear and tear of the wire cable unlike a chain that wears very slowly a wire can become brittle or snap

id have said look at a van winch or landrover winch easy controled and also comes with both a remote and a handheld device

brewdexta likes this.
  3. brewdexta

Yorkshire
    I defo want a chain not a cable hoist. Forum members with experience of chain hoists please. I would trust a cable to pull a truck out of a muddy field but I would be reticent to dangle a few hundred kilos of machinery that I had just spent 6 months renovating on one :)

My dad used to work at British Ropes where they would spin big cables and provide wire for suspension bridges. He worked in an area where they would temper the wire after drawing it by dragging it through huge vats of molten lead. They used to sprinkle bags of powdered asbestos on top of the lead to keep the heat in! They gave him a pint of milk a day to counteract the lead, they didn't know much about asbestos those days.

My reticents to use chain not cable his based purely on preference, I feel better with it.

daleyd likes this.
  4. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Where i served my time we used to lift large rollers with a forklift onto stands for welding. There was a couple of near misses accident-wise so we requested proper chain hoists. I remember they were rated at 1,000 kg, but i never had any confidence in them as they seemed to make heavy weather of lifting anything over about 300 kgs.

I go for the biggest you can power from your leccy supply Brewdexta.

metalmelt and brewdexta like this.
  5. metalmelt Member

You can get chain hoists as electric or compressed air, generally the air blocks are slower and more precise, and the electrics are slightly faster and less precise; so it you are lifting up a floor precision isn't rally an issue.

Lift height is often a problem and this is with the quantity of chain your bag will hold, you will either have a large storage bag or limited lifting height. In your part of the world there are several dealers offering industrial (3 phase) chain hoists and while these are generally in the 1-3 tonne range they actually work out cheaper secondhand than many single phase units and many have been checked and/or repaired by a professional so it may be worth looking at these dealers for a tested and guaranteed secondhand unit with some warranty and peace of mind; with comeback if anything isn't right.

Ropes for towing trucks have been frowned on for many years now as its all towing or snatch straps, if a rope breaks you have someone decapitated or a lot of heavy metal flying through a cab windscreen and having seen this, it ain't pretty.

Parm, Shox Dr and James1979 like this.
  6. James1979 Member

I have a chain hoist. It’s 250 kg and is three phase. I used to use it a lot in the old place but I’m three phase less here and miss it. It’s pretty much as described above although mine has a soft touch or whatever they call it so the harder you press the buttons the faster it goes.

as I’m on my own a lot it was damn handy. As you only need to push at button you’ve a spare hand for pulling pushing the load. It’s a fair size / weight so I’m not sure how big a 1t one would be is my only thoughts on it.

Used air a lot in industry and at sea. Very common in Germany. Would prefer one of them but they like rocking horse manure secondhand

metalmelt and barking mat like this.
  7. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

1000kg 110v hoist in Blackburn on the Bay of Fleas, item no. 1 day left to run

metalmelt, brewdexta and James1979 like this.
  8. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Try and get one direct from an events hire place selling off old stock although they don't sell them off often as they're a use till no longer fixable item. Usually double braked and will have been checked and maintained well and not been overloaded.

I've been out of the rigging game for some time now but it was CM Loadstars that were common place.

metalmelt and James1979 like this.
  9. brewdexta

Yorkshire
    I'm watching that one already :)

metalmelt and Shox Dr like this.
  10. zzr1200

:thumbup:

metalmelt likes this.
  11. zzr1200