Eisle cold saw restoration

1. Theblackbox Member

So just nearing completion of my Milford grinder (once owned by Kellogg’s!) and I think another project is required! Been really enjoying restoring machines in the evenings bit of light relief from batch work and I get a useful great condition machine at the end of it.
    86FA8AC0-BBBC-4D5C-9AA4-A1E9816CEEDC.jpeg
    749657ED-FF67-4BCD-8D16-7BA9722F87E5.jpeg

I’ve been after a replacement for my baleigh bandsaw it’s done loads of work over the 4 years I’ve had it but it’s not really suitable for the work I do now and it’s falling to bits! It’s the usual fantastic modern quality machine!!:laughing::rolleyes:

So I’ve been on the hunt for a vertical cold saw (not a pivot type) that has a pneumatic vice and the head swivelled.

Really not an easy task I missed out on a couple recently including a semi automatic version of this but then I spotted this on Facebook a 1990 eisle German made saw very well respected pieces of kit meant to be very accurate these are still made today.

F0B743A4-B413-497A-A9F1-47F76AFD2213.png

Didn’t really pay much attention to it because it’s erm a mess but realised it fitted the requirements perfectly (it was cheap) so a deal was struck and after a 6hr round trip it’s back at the workshop. it’s a heavy lump at nearly 400kg so took a bit of shifting!

8687A010-B258-47F5-8B35-ABE295D3371B.jpeg
    08268284-8640-4874-931D-5BF4E62FDE7B.jpeg

Really it’s not that bad the electrics are a mess but the basics are there the bed is immaculate underneath all that rust!
    751FA542-B369-4908-AA97-FF6910B7F9CE.jpeg
    Angle graduation is really clear

And the head swivelled round after a bit of persuading ( nearly always seize on this type of saw)

BFA3F66F-664A-4C91-8500-CD4D707B104D.jpeg

A340D3CB-AA21-4A94-8E02-A285985E0BEF.jpeg
    pneumatic end of the vice hopefully this isn’t seized or completely shot! Very handy for repeat cutting of batches and getting stock clamped when measuring.

So plans are a complete strip down repaint need to make a new swarf draw for it. New electrics with emergency stop (still need to add one to the Milford)

I’ll put the vice on a footpedal for ease it’s currently on a funny rocker actuator arrangement and then potentially an automated stop setup. Oh and it might need a saw blade or two! Don’t think this will be a quick project!

• 758058B4-99C3-465B-BA46-C41C35456A99.jpeg
    • DEBC81F6-94F5-4F91-A6B2-2773F145725D.jpeg
    fizzle, Rannsachair, nickk and 10 others like this.
  2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

another nice find

Theblackbox and Memmeddu like this.
  3. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

I'd looked qt that on fb but you were braver than me I thought just a bit too much work for me. But looking forward to see what you can do with it. They're really good pieces of kit, what diameter blades does it take ?

Memmeddu and Theblackbox like this.
  4. Theblackbox Member

Yep a nice find indeed really happy with it despite its condition

sourcing machinery has actually been quite a challenge over the years getting stuff before the dealers get their mits on it! Guillotines especially are quite thin on the ground if you don’t want to spend loads or want a knackered old machine

I think this will take a 300mm blade maybe a 315mm at a push I really wanted something that’ll cut 100mm box but I don’t cut it regularly and I’ve got an abrasive Saw for that.

Memmeddu likes this.
  5. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

Well good luck im sure it will be really nice once you've done it up. I agree its really hard to find kit but sometimes right place tight time, whether that's online or in the real world. You can get some bargains i found one the other week fully working. With the gadgets, swivel head, 325mm blade, coolant pump. And it was only £210

6. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

That's a proper built machine! Hope the resto goes smoothly :) Love the heavy base and swivel head marking, it's much heavier than my DoAll band saw.

If it was mine, it would be getting the bare minimum done and pressed straight into service :D

Memmeddu likes this.
  7. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

In always on marketplace looking for a brown worm driven cold saw, once I've found one and it was also cheap only 100 euros but I had no money at the time

Jacktegla likes this.
  8. Theblackbox Member

Thanks all yeah the odd bargain is out there.
    I was tempted to just get running but really can’t have a scruffy machine in the workshop! Potentially I plan on employing in the distant future so making sure everything is 100% in order and compliant.
    Will start the main strip down over the bank holiday weekend started spraying with penetrating oil any fixings and loosened off a lot
    decided that I’ll send the base and a few other bits to the blasters much more economical than wire brushing it.

Memmeddu likes this.
  9. KemppiFrog Member

Always hankered after one and been tempted to make one from scratch. What RPM does the blade run at? The vertical sliding action is interesting, trying to see advantages over a pivot unit.

Jacktegla likes this.
  10. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

My saw runs at 50rpm on slow and 100rpm on fast.

I've got a pivot and the advantage for the vertical down over the pivot, is that it doesn't take up as much room because the pivot has to have room to pivot back up.

I think this is the advantage but I'm sure someone will tell you if not.

KemppiFrog likes this.
  11. KemppiFrog Member

Thanks for that. My DIY abrasive cutter does have a bit of 'back space' for the pivot. But, maybe the one pictured has a geared drive to lower it? Looking at the handle to operated it. Bit more precise than a back pivot and heaving it down.
    KF

Jacktegla likes this.
  12. Theblackbox Member

Also the vertical action is much lighter and quicker to use as you aren’t lifting a saw head up and this sort will return to the top this one has a large spring like a drill quill others have a damper fitted.

Some say the vertical type is a bit more accurate and last longer as you haven’t a pivot point that wears out have used saws in the past that had quite a visible wobble!

Jacktegla likes this.
  13. KemppiFrog Member

Useful info Bbox, But I doubt that I would wear out a pivot now.. And, space not a problem here. Well, it is, just I need to dump a LOT of carp.

Jacktegla likes this.
  14. Theblackbox Member

yeah this takes years to happen easy fix anyway. This is more of a consideration with bulk cutting. Usually don’t have the leadtime to let the supplier cut so I have to cut it and that might mean several hundred cuts at a time.

Jacktegla likes this.
  15. KemppiFrog Member

What I am looking forward to is: Less sparks and noise from the CTC touthed saw and noise and dust from the abrasive disc one. I was thinking a band saw, as I had one years ago. But cold cut always appealed. Oh, not to mention the CTC found something in the cut and all the teath dissapeared in a nano second. New blade at £80 puts a dent in the day..

Jacktegla likes this.
  16. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

I've just bought another one that's bigger than my old one and its much better than abrasive saws. The blades for the cold cut saws are more like 150, but obviously they can be resharpened.

17. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I've got a coldsaw blade with a big chunk missing, being solid HSS my plan was to cut inch wide strips out of it and make parting blades for the lathe, never got round to it though. I suppose with a tool and cutter grinder you could reduce the diameter to say 250mm and put new teeth on it.

Jacktegla likes this.
  18. KemppiFrog Member

Well, you are young and cheerfull. So tackling that would be entertainment... For the rest of us decrebides (sp) buying a fresh blade is easier and more time effective.
    Having said that, I did make an internal gear, by hand,for the epicyclic reduction in a starter motor for my truck. No spares available, so just sat down and filed it. Def gives a sense of purpose and improves ones filing skills. Not to mention that it takes a while..
    KF

dobbslc, Jacktegla and Maker like this.
  19. citizen kane Member

UK Hampshire
    Lovely machine, I've used one in the past and they can produce superbly accurate cuts. I currently have a Pedrazzoli and I would say that the Eisle is at least as good and a very heavily built machine. One weird thing about the Eisle is the blade rotation direction, the Pedrazzoli rotates the blade so that the teeth are pushing the work downwards and towards the fixed jaw, the Eisle I used turned in the opposite direction with the teeth forcing the work towards the movable jaw, of course the saw may have had the phases swapped around but it still worked just fine. Looking forward to seeing the strip down and restoration.

Jacktegla likes this.
  20. Theblackbox Member

I’ve used an Addison in the first that was the same rotation this is the same has an arrow cast on the blade cover

didn’t get many pics but started to strip the saw down today into the main assemblies

69FC689D-0FA1-4F48-8ECD-D500148EDDED.jpeg DF69F316-BA52-4748-A300-204099EDFEAF.jpeg A80B9D98-5832-47C7-A66E-3F54FCB986B5.jpeg EF7C8067-735B-43B2-B611-D07AAB146305.jpeg
    the main cabinet will be sent to the blasters in the next few days along with a few other parts. I’ve decided to use what was the coolant drawer for the swarf drawer. Means I can make a deeper coolant tank to hold more coolant.

The current pump has been filed under scrap as it’s rusted so I’ll work out a replacement and new setup.

Given most of the bed a good degrease with an airline attachment. It’s in really good condition slight divot where tube/bar has been spun. Underneath is really good so don’t need to paint it. Just covered with engine oil for the minute

I’ve stripped the vice and checked the air cylinder all works and is in great condition inside don’t need seals or anything! This is ready for paint as is a couple of other parts. Once the base is back and painted I can start going back together.

Jacktegla, KemppiFrog and Rannsachair like this.
Advertisements