Dumper TLC

1. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I think you would have to wire it via a relay. Not sure what would happen if you wired it in series or in place of the bulb.

2. mechman Member

What make/model is it?

3. Bill Edwards Member

Wire it in parallel with the bulb, or from the ignition live direct to earth. Either way would do the job.

4. mechman Member

Thanks Bill.

5. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

Thwaites something! I had the pumps and injectors done and gave it a decoke a few years ago when I bought it, also fitted a BMW 2002 steering box, looks as ropey as hell but starts easily and drives well, has a very big bucket, used it to dump spoil from shed building, now have a bank at the bottom of the garden, and to run ready mix from the road to the shed base, takes a worthwhile load, saved renting a concrete pump,

6. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Ignition live to earth, the buzzer would be going whenever it was switched on. Running or not.

7. Bill Edwards Member

Of course :doh:

8. mechman Member

OK then, Ign warning light and buzzer wired in parallel?:dontknow::(:confused::ashamed:

9. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Don’t think that would work, you would be passing the current of both the the bulb & the buzzer. I don’t know what current the buzzer passes, but if it is similar to the bulb, use it instead. The only thing might be that the buzzer current pulses with the buzz, I don’t know. I would have thought the safest option would be to wire in a relay into the warning light circuit & run a buzzer from this, then you could run a really loud siren. I don’t know if a dumper truck has an oil light, but if there is provision for a switch, you could also connect that to the siren to save someone running it without oil.

10. Bill Edwards Member

Assuming a cheap buzzer from eBay or similar for pennies I’m sure the current consumption will be too low to be a problem for the alternator. They’re very, very small things with wires thinner than a strand of hair!

11. mechman Member

OK, two options elec & oil pressure switch, I think there is a tapping on the oil pump for testing oil pressure probably tap into there.

12. mechman Member

Actually got the dumper running yesterday albeit engine only as the rest of it is still naked. It only ran on 1 cylinder ( the one it didn't run on before) so done the checks , injector spray, spill timing etc all seemed ok, no pics as by this time I was peeved and up to the breasts in carp. Next instalment will be check timing again ( did i mention there are 10 timing marks on the back of the flywheel) and the exhaust port is clear ( I've had them completely blocked before) tappet clearances etc, 2 manuals one showing 7 thou hot the other 4 thou cold :confused:, I jerry rigged a battery to the (new) starter motor and it started more or less straight away excepting the one cylinder:(. Any way I'm happy that the electric start conversion works and it's no longer a heart attack machine trying to hand crank it.
    Norm.

13. mechman Member

Got given a spare tank for the dumper, it was in a bit off a state (think colander) welded 3 patches on it, not pretty but functional, usual hurdles. Rust, old diesel sludge etc. And it doesn't leak, Bonus. Got the pics the the wrong way round :doh: P1010200.JPG P1010199.JPG P1010198.JPG

VeryFEDUP, zx9 and mr migwire like this.
  14. mechman Member

Is it the last pic first or the er err I'll get me coat. forgot.:confused:

Advertisements