Dumper TLC

1. mechman Member

A guy on another forum said it's a lot of bother to convert them to electric start, I'm tending to believe him, but as I've got most of the gear I'm gonna plod on. It's only this bit that needs sorting the rest is as it was taken apart, ( if I can remember how to put it back)
    Norm.

2. ranchero Member

when i was a kid i liked hand cranking these

3. mechman Member

You must have been a big kid, it's a twin cylinder heart attack machine.

4. mechman Member

Back to it P1010183.JPG P1010184 - Copy.JPG P1010185.JPG P1010186.JPG
    All sorts of mods to get this far.

5. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

They're not net curtains, its Pikey proof cammo

6. mechman Member

Need to fab a guard for the alternator set up and prob have to relocate the fuel tank, in which case will prob have to fit a lift pump. And so it goes on.
    On hols tomorrow so off line for a while.:)
    Norm.

7. Tim W Member

Swindon, UK
    Just read through this - great work!
    - A head's up on the M45G starter, in that they come in many forms, not all interchangeable.
    They have varying number of teeth on the pinion, rotation varies, some pre-engaged others aren't.
    Also the mount varies. The early ones have a solenoid in-built on the back plate - avoid these as the
    solenoid is virtually unobtainium. They start at £75 and a good original will make £5-600 !
    Have a look on ebay to see a good selection of whats available.

Common on Jag's, some Triumph TR's, Jowetts, Astons,and many commercials

8. mechman Member

Got the starter from some supplier, Portsmouth I think, brand new and it runs anti clockwise.

9. mechman Member

Got the tin ware done eventually. The belt guard took a bit of fettling as there isn't one made for this model and had to fab it from scratch. I can start to put the lumps back together now.
    Norm. P1010187.JPG P1010188.JPG

Exuptoy, decca, mr migwire and 7 others like this.
  10. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    super nice work on the belt guard....

JP

colnerov likes this.
  11. mechman Member

Well I decided to give the alternator some protection from the elements etc. That will be it until march. P1010191.JPG P1010193.JPG P1010192.JPG P1010190.JPG

12. mechman Member

I'm going to wire it when I get back, not being right into electrickery I might need a bit of guidance. Batt to starter Ok. so the rest is a bit grainy, 2 wires to alt 1 from ign in, heavy 1 out back to batt and one from ign to starter. Is that it?. it has to be simple (same as me) It's only a dumper so it just needs to start and charge, accessories might come later.

13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Thee and me both - good luck with it! :thumbup:

14. m_c Member

Alternator wiring is reasonably straight forward for that type of alternator (Lucas ACR/A series)

The two large spade terminals go to the battery. Depending on the exact spec of the alternator, both terminals may simply be paralled/joined together, or one is the output, and one is a battery sense. Easy option, is just wire both to the battery positive using reasonable sized wire. Given you won't be using that much power, and I doubt the alternator will be spinning all that fast, I'd probably aim for some wire rated for around 25-30A.

The small spade connector beside the large spades needs to be connected to positive via a 2.2W (or equivalent) warning lamp. The reason for the relatively large bulb, is it's relied on to excite the alternator. Without it, the alternator would probably have to spin up to 3-4000 RPM before it would self excite, which I doubt this setup will ever achieve.
    Off course, 2.2W warning lamps are pretty hard to come by now, so easy option is fit whatever warning lamp you can find, then add a 5W 60-80ohm resistor in parallel with the lamp.
    Also given it's a basic dumper with a pull stop, you'll probably want to wire in a suitable 12V buzzer as well to avoid the ignition being left on. Just wire it in parallel with the warning light bulb.

If there are any other spade/stud terminals outwith the main three, it'll likely be a tacho feed, which you can just ignore.

Exuptoy likes this.
  15. mechman Member

Think I've got that and thanks for the reply:thumbup:

16. Bill Edwards Member

Pretty much any small bulb works to excite the alternator, don’t get too hung up on it or worry about adding resisters.
    The smaller the bulb you tend to find that you have to give the engine a few revs before the bulb goes out when you start the engine, not a big deal and it’s quite common on agricultural equipment.

17. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I think I would put a buzzer in the circuit to make sure it was all switched off, else next time the battery would be flat.

18. Bill Edwards Member

Maybe if you aren’t used to switching the ignition off when using a pull stop.

Or you could connect a solenoid for key stop...

Might not apply on this engine but oil pressure switches are great for wiring buzzers to. Means if anything ever goes wrong you might get chance to save the engine.

19. mechman Member

Buzzer in the circuit, Would that be in series with IGN warning light?

20. Matchless

Matchless Member

looks a lot like the one I want rid of, correction, my wife wants rid of!, I cut off all the rusty bits, and left them off, life is too short to start another hobby restoring plant! I already need to live to 120!
    20200128_110911_resized.jpg 20200128_110821_resized.jpg 20200128_111001_resized.jpg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements