drive way gates

1. duncans

duncans Member

i agree but some folk dont listen and think they no it all mate im leaving em to it

metalmelt and slim_boy_fat like this.
  2. duncans

duncans Member

well she said her partners stepfather used to be a welder so let him sort it out if he was a good welder then he would have said in the beginning use box section but he didn't so he must be ***** as any welder would have stated that from the beginning i said do it in box section im only a hobby welder im not that good but im learning how to do stuff

3. duncans

duncans Member

when she has had them done ill take a picture so you can see will be while thou as they are the folk who talk a good book but do fook all

4. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Having said all that - my 3m span gates are from 20X10 flat bar with various scrolley things in them - three gates, all same width, two hinges together swinging from one pillar one side, one on the other. But I did add a small fixed wheels under the end of the bi-fold so it contacts the sloping drive at the point of closure to take the weight off the simple hole in a flat tab hinge. Work well.

5. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

Gentlemen, I have the solution.
    I'm sure some of you may have tried this before. 2 sections of angle butted together , 2 outside corner joints. Voilà
    There is, obviously a bit more work involved but you can end up with, what looks like solid section without the corresponding weight.

6. duncans

duncans Member

mark 2 she had the option to use the box section but wanted to use angle iron the stupid sod like I said .she's a no it all I want it like this and that hahaha stupid sod they need to think it through properly but ho no it will look stupid I can't wait to say I told you so

7. Malky Member

Just seen this thread, how did she get on?
    Bought these on gumtree last weekend and as you can see, hung in the dark:cool:, already used the room to sag excuse and got away with it:thumbup: but only her pals seen it so far:D. 30mm box over 10ft seem strong enough, needs some pillar work now.

• 20201031_112801.jpg
    • 20201031_112844.jpg
  8. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

If the gateway's flat and level (mine was when I did it, concrete drive) a caster helps... I had to turn mine from 2 separate hinged gates to a single folder so I could get my sorely-missed camper van down a narrow alley (an opened other half would have made it too narrow) so put hinges on the back wall of the house, hinged the second gate to the first with a caster/swivel wheel in the middle (oddly similar to a supermarket trolley wheel...), no problems with sagging! Could make her "access" gate the same way, put a caster where the two hinge together?

Dave H. (the other one)

metalmelt likes this.
  9. duncans

duncans Member

how she get on hahaha not even started doing them yet talks a good book but nothing gets done the younger generation folk are nothing like us old school folk if they were my gates id have used box section and i would have nearly done them i think but im having nothing to do with them

10. duncans

duncans Member

would be quite a lot more if you had buy the steel your self i would think

Malky likes this.
  11. duncans

duncans Member

yeah but brad 93 your a capable chap she isn't one bit and just will not listen I've never done gates before but the knowledge you gain reading what others say etc and the threads like kimbs gates they are damn good ones

metalmelt likes this.
  12. Malky Member

Steel alone would have cost a bit, never mind bending, building and galvanising.
    30mm box just about strong enough 40 would look beefier but angle a non starter, will be wobbly imo.

13. metalmelt Member

Got some lengths of 75 x 75 X 12.

14. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

those are nice gates ,you did well .obviously you dont have to reply but what price did you pay as if you can get them from places like gumtree @ reasonable price its not worth making them, as long as of course they are not lets say warm

Malky likes this.
  15. Malky Member

No problem arther paid £120 for them definitely not hot, saw the gap they came from, also included a length of railing to match and a post, not long moved in and he was needing a wider entrance. Definately well made smiddy gates, not mass produced.
    Was going to have a go making gates till I saw these, don't think you could make them for that as a business anyway, theres a guy in town makes a lot of gates advertises on Ebay, he's 3-5 hundred for parallel gates, haven't seen a price for arched.
    The beauty of those as bifold is they fitted in the car, don't have a towbar.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. duncans

duncans Member

they not be warm this end of the year mate its quite cold hahaaaaa

arther dailey likes this.
  17. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

you got a bargain there , and they are a relly nice design .cheers

Malky likes this.
Advertisements