Doris the Dexta renovation

1. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Blue painting looks great, tell us more about the 3M paint scheme.

Leaky pipe will braze up very easily, but you probably know that!

brewdexta likes this.
  2. RichardM Member

Can the pipe go back on reversed to the way in the photo?

3. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    I think devilbiss do something similar however you buy an adaptor for your spray gun, this allows you to use 3M cup lids, the cups come in 3 sizes, I think. You then buy disposable liners and lids, put a liner in a cup, put in paint and thinners, stick a lid on and drop on the screw on the clamp ring to tighten it. The lid clips onto the gun, as you spray the liner collapses. If you want to stop spraying before using all the paint, take the cup off the adaptor and you get some small caps to clip over the hole to keep the paint fresh. Clean the gun with another cup/liner full of gunwash, and job done. When you want to start again, take off the cap, clip on the paint cup and off you go.

Look up 3M PPS on YouTube

bs2236 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    I'm a few weekends away from getting the components bolted to the block to find out, but I'll probably replace it with new, my pa left me tube and flaring tools.

slim_boy_fat and RichardM like this.
  5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    One thing that is quite interesting is that many videos talk about PPS only being a benefit for paint shops and high volume users. I think the benefits are just as valid if not more so for a low volume user. To be able to mix a small batch, use it over 2-3 days and make no mess is a real benefit. Initial cost seems high but once you've got used to it you wouldn't go back. I hate clean up and I've always said at that point if someone said "Give me £2 and I'll clean the gun" I'd let them do it because as a low user it's likely that one job is your only one that day so to spend £1 on a liner and a lid is a no brainer.It also means you can do all your paint prep in one go because you can have multiple cups ready so no stopping.The only thing I am at odds with is the fact it's more plastic use.

Even though I already have the setup I ended up watching some videos and learnt something. I've only just realised the caps you put on them can be used two ways. I've always put them over the top but I've realised if you are capping while waiting to use them the caps also fit inside the top instead of over which means they are easier to take off.

The other thing I saw is they've now got a new improved version but it doesn't look like it's in the UK yet.

brewdexta and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Not much to show for this weeks efforts, mainly putting a second top coat on already painted bits. I'm waiting for the main compressor to be fixed, hopefully tomorrow before painting more bits, apart from the plate between the engine and bell housing.

This was it before most of the gunk was removed, but before masking.

P1080300.jpg

and after the cup brush, sander and final degrease and top coat, on to the other side.

P1080301.jpg

I'm expecting this bit to get a bit of hammer while re-assembling it so will need touching up, I may have to remount the engine on the engine stand to get this on. Not sure yet, I have loads of pictures from dismantling, I shall go back and see if It's worth doing or just get the rest of the bell housing, gearbox and rear axle painted and re-assemble it directly on the chassis. If I put it on before that, it means I can get the sump on and the front axle carrier up in the workshop before lowering it down into the barn to meet the rest of the chassis so that is probably my preference.

Cheers
    Andy

7. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Just looking back to 2012 when I first dismantled the engine, blimey, how much space did I have in the workshop! I will put the plate on and remount the engine on the stand. I can then get the flywheel and new clutch on before it meets the rest of the tractor, but using the bolts where the front axle carrier will go at the other end of the engine, if they line up nicely...

P1020192.jpg

The drum kits was an unwanted present from my parents, the kids liked it, try concentrating while a 3 year old is beating the hell out of them!

P1020195.jpg

I had to drill a plate up to mount the engine, the bits that come with the stand just wouldn't work

P1020724.jpg

I forgot how crusty the engine was.

P1020744.jpg

Getting the pulley nut off the crank was a major pain, I had to buy a box spanner in the end.

P1020756.jpg

Cheers
    Andy

slim_boy_fat, Robotstar5 and Seadog like this.
  8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

A lot more than you currently have, is my bet. :laughing:

brewdexta likes this.
Advertisements