Doris the Dexta renovation

1. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Other bits of this have been covered in this thread about paint and this thread about fixing the front axle

Its tea break time and its cold in the workshop so I'm posting a few pics as I go along.

Today I decided to attack the hydraulics, I took the hydraulic cover off in 2012 so about time I sorted it.

Here's it on the bench upside down after a quick clean off the loose Jabberwocky.

hydraulics1.jpg

First job is to fix the position control arm stop pin. Its worn and this is the cause of all sorts of maladies if is not fixed. Here it is highlighted in red with the cam it rubs against in green

liftpin2.jpg

Its a push fit, I don't want to take the thing completely apart to do this as there is loads of adjustments to redo. Some people have even built them up with weld in situ.

Here's the other side of the pin

liftpin3.jpg

And another view of the other side

liftpin4.jpg

Its a bit tight so I can see some choice words coming out before I've finished.

And yes I will be clearing out all the dust and grit before it goes back on the tractor :laughing:

More later

2. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    It is not going according to plan. Simply punching the pin out after supporting the arm with some lumps of steel so its nice and solid didn't work. That does work for some people. It's a hardened steel pin and its funny shape to get under the drill press so that's out. Taking it apart now so I can push the pin out in a press, all the cotter pins are rusted solid and in awkward places so that's proving difficult too. I think its going to one of those days where you have sod all to show for a days work :mad:. I'm letting it soak for a few minutes while I brace myself for the next assault.

3. MattF

MattF Member

Is this just so that you can build up the metal in that slot to match the diameter of the rod? I'd be tempted to just make a sacrificial piece and drill and tap that into place. Looks like you can get in there to drill one hole? Cutting and shaping a small piece would likely take less time than trying to remove the rod, and easy enough to replace if ever needs be again.

4. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Yes, the pin needs to go back to the original diameter. My gynaecology days are over, I thought I could do it occasionally to keep your hand in :laughing:. I'm resigned to fact that I will need to take it all apart, just coming into the warm to look at the workshop manual, I have about a third of it out however simple bits like split pins can take ages to get out as they have 50 years of corrosion holding them in place.

5. johnser

johnser Member

That cam looks a pretty rough finish to be rubbing on the peg. Any mileage in smoothing it when it's apart? I'd be tempted to remove the peg, build it up with weld and put it back 180 deg around so the cam wears on the previously unworn portion. Good luck!

6. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Max Miller would have blushed if he was in my workshop this afternoon :laughing: Pictures later, the offending item is out so I can work on the pin however there was some collateral damage. Effing woodruff keys :mad:

7. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    I shall give it a buff up before it goes back together so it will be like stroking a <the rest of this sentence has been censored!>

8. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

i have a load of assorted keys Alan...let me know the size and ile fire a couple up to you;)

9. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    I may take you up on that Brian :)

10. normspanners Member

northwales
  11. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    So here's a forlorn tale of misfortune and gross stupidity :laughing:

I decided to take the rest of it apart so i can get to the pin and give it a good servicing at the same time. To get the mech out of the box you need to take the hydraulic adjustment quadrant off.

This bit, then after disengaging the black piston rod you can see at the top of the picture and taking a couple of cotter pins out you can slide the shaft out with the component out that contains the worn pin - simple!
    handle.jpg

So I made one tiny mistake and it went Pete Tong big style. I couldn't get the handle off the centre and being alloy I thought I would pull it off using the steel quadrant behind it after packing the gap our with a bit of steel and use hub pullers.

This worked a treat but now meant I had woodruff key still in the shaft and the bitch would come back all the way so no way to get the key out. The quadrant assembly and tube would move up and down on the shaft but I couldn't get it off all the way as the tube constricts and I couldn't line the woodruff key up with the slot to push it back through and remove it as it had moved in its little half moon slot :mad:

So it was left dangling neither in not out.

dangling.jpg

So after farting about trying to get the woodruff key back horizontal unsuccessfully for an hour it had to come off. So out came the hub puller again.

And I ended up damaging the shaft and the tube :mad:

knackered1.jpg

knackered2.jpg

continued..............

• knackered.jpg
  12. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    I think I can repair them however if not there are plenty on fleabay so not too worried. However the pin was not going to beat me. Here's the main components out

gotitout.jpg

Old and new lift pin, its a part off a broken 5/8" drill

old and new pin.jpg

Press out the old and push in the new

press.jpg

And et voila, new pin installed

newliftpinin.jpg

I just need to clean it up and repair the carnage before putting it back together.

While I'm at it I'll de-rust it all and get it painted ready to go back on.

Anybody want a watch repairing :whistle::laughing:

MattF likes this.
  13. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Yes, only 10 years so far.......

julianthegypsy and KimB like this.
  14. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

I can confirm it is even worse trying to put it back together again.....:rolleyes:
    The pin in mine wasn't worn that badly (Nothing really is on mine...1958/60 iiirc, and a fairly easy life) but changed it anyway. Mine tapped out fairly easily with a drift.

Can't remember what it is when you put it back together, but you need to try and get about three bits all lined up at the same time which hit the side of the casting for good measure.

I had similar problems with the woodruff key...plus the thread ends on mine are mashed over by some heavy handed farmer in the past.

Interesting thread Andy, look forward to seeing more. I'm at tinwork stage:)

15. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Cheers Paul, I can't wait to put it back together :vsad:

There's a dexta nose cone on fleabay, its seen some action, it depends how desperate you are :laughing:

16. Welderpaul

Your post jogged my memory and i went straight on ebay and saw that... it has a bad case of cellulite:laughing: Take a month of tap-tap-tap-tap. Tap-tap-tap..
    On the watch list though:rolleyes:

brewdexta likes this.
  17. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
  18. brightspark

brightspark Member

19. Welderpaul

....and that's the thing, lots of horror stories on t'Dexta forum about them not fitting properly and not lining up with the bonnets.....I can see yours doesn't line up from here:whistle:;)

My experience of repro parts is that 80% of the time they are cheap imports that bear very little resemblance to the orginal bits. I've repaired as many bust bits as possible, or bought knackered genuine bits to fix up.

Tidy looking refurb there..

brightspark likes this.
  20. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Not mine, my brother-in-law. I can't comment on the panel fit but I think he said the rear arches and foot-plates were a bit dodgy.

Advertisements