Does anybody use *removed for legal reasons* supplier?

1. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Just as per title guys, Not doing so much these day so thinking of a change from BOC. Gas for Mig and Tig.

2. seanc Member

northants
    I have used them in the past
    There not really rent free bottles as the deposit is on a sliding time scale so if your not using a lot you will lose most if not all your deposit

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  3. hotponyshoes Member

Not sure what the legal reasons were for removing the name of the supplier?

I swapped from boc to hobbyweld.
    The only reason I did so was because my local stockists swapped from boc to hobbyweld.

For me the convenience of where/when I can get a bottle outweighs the price. Might be different if I only wanted 1 or 2 bottles a year.

I mostly have hobbyweld ultra bottles, small enough to lift into a van by myself and will fit on the back seat of a car. Have a built in regulator with quick connect and are 300bar so plenty of gas in them.
    The deposit is expensive, I think they charge £20 admin fee but you get the rest back with no sliding scale.
    There was another local option I looked at, they did have a sliding scale, I think you lost the lot after 5years.

I'm not sure what boc are doing ref. monthly rental at the moment, if you have a local depot it might work out cheaper to get a bottle when you need it and give it back within the same month if they are still doing it.
    That would depend if you do bigger jobs not very often or if you do lots of small jobs every now and again.

One of the rent free suppliers offered a 130bar bottle, not the most cost effective per litre but would save you a fee quid if you forgot to turn the bottle off

My rough maths said if using less than 2-3 bottles a year then rent free is cheaper than boc bit this was a couple of years ago and boc have increased prices since then (others might have gone up as well)

Have a ring round of the automotive parts suppliers near you as well, they often stock rent free gas and are often open Saturday mornings!

metalmelt, stuvy and Country Joe like this.
  4. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Last time I looked SGS through motor factors were cheaper than hobby weld low pressure bottles, but liter for liter with the 300 bar ones there wasnt much difference, price wise, just a larger deposit.

stuvy likes this.
  5. northwest

northwest Member

I too am quite curious. Is it a supplier we cannot mention on here? Bit Harry Potteresque.......

Can we mention them at all?

Any other censorship we should know about?

premmington and Country Joe like this.
  6. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    There is a good reason why their name is censored.
    Let’s just say it was very much a case of one of their staff cutting off his own nose to spite the company’s face.
    And no, any mention of their company will be removed if it gets past the filter and is spotted.

7. hotponyshoes Member

You may well find that some of the local motor factors are happy to deliver so opening hours/location might not be an issue.

When I first started with boc they offered monthly rental but also offered 3/5yr rental paid in advance.
    I took out 5yr as it worked out about half the price of renting yearly. They had dropped the option by the time my 5yrs was up but I vaguely remember seeing a flyer about it recently.

You can either trawl through all the websites and make a spread sheet to compare prices or, as I have done, give up and just use whoever's is nearest.
    They are all competing against each other so I bet there is not that much money to save anyway.
    Just go with what option suits you best. You can always change when the bottle runs out.

As for reviews, (aside from the company that has been removed from this thread) I have never heard of any complaints against any of them. Heard a few people saying they have had empty/low pressure bottles and the odd question about bad gas but they all seem to have been swapped out with no issues.

For me, if boc came back to the area I think I would stick with the hobbyweld for the convenience of the physical bottles. Although boc now do a small 300bar with regulator as well I think..

James1979 likes this.
  8. northwest

northwest Member

Fair enough. Now all I need to do is work out who you are talking about. Ho Hum.

9. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    It doesn’t really matter, just use whoever you want to to get the best deal. The silly thing is we actually gave said company a chance to be part of the forum but we gave them an inch and their staff member took a mile.
    Having just read back through our two page thread on them in the mods’ section the whole thing is actually quite comical. :clapping::clapping:

premmington and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  10. Mr Roo

Mr Roo Member

picked up a standard Y-size bottle on tuesday... 270 bar in it!

11. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

Dixons of Westerhope :)

12. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

I know who you are talking about, have dealt with them and got ripped off by them regarding the refund on a returned cylinder so stopped dealing with them. I would advise to avoid them unless you can pick up from them directly.

Mr Roo and gordon stephenson like this.
  13. northwest

northwest Member

Ahh, okay. I am a bit slow sometimes (I blame my mother who dropped me when I was a baby! It's my excuse and I am sticking with it) It's not something that bothers me because I have a good local supplier that takes care of me.

14. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I think it's very easy to get hung up on price per litre,bottle fill pressure etc and that's fine if you have easy access to multiple suppliers. It will also depend on how much you use. It's better to find a decent local supplier and use them than have to drive 25mins to save yourself £20

Obviously this is somewhat muddied if you local supplier is one that charges rent

metalmelt and James1979 like this.
  15. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

I changed to SGS, as local supplier as and when needed , smaller bottle is way easier to chuck in van so convienance and comfort(back) far out weigh price per litre for me.

MattF and zx9 like this.
  16. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

I tried to buy a rent free bottle, as I don't use much gas at all, but the guy in the shop, I forget the company, couldn't seem to work out what he was talking about. He gave me a price, about £170 I think, to buy a bottle of mixed welding gas, but when I asked about refills the guy just fell apart and waffled on about selling the bottle, getting refunded, adding VAT, buying a new one, deposits, returns etc etc.

All I wanted was the cost for a 'refill', how much it would cost me every time I emptied the bottle and wanted new gas, but he seemed to have some mental lock, or he just didn't know.

I left in exasperation and just went to BOC, with the Volkswagen discount deal printout grasped in my paw. I used them year ago, dead simple and straightforward, but I'm stuck with £50 or so a year rent.

17. Chillitt Member

I'd probably avoid them too, If I had the faintest idea who they were... If someones ripping people off, wouldn't it be better to let people know before they get done too?:confused:

18. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Well as the forum won't allow them to be named for "legal reasons" I must assume there have been some threats to the forum regarding such action and thus I can't say. What I can say is, it is not SGS, Hobbyweld, Albee or Adams which are the only 4 other rent free places I can think of :)

gordon stephenson and Wozzaaah like this.
  19. DavidL

DavidL Forum Supporter

Also think I've figured out who they might be - they're pretty near to me.

They'd made it to my shortlist, but to be honest, I ruled them out as they were a little pricey (maybe 20 quid max on a 30L bottle), and as another member has said, the deposit scheme is actually only a deposit if predicated on changing the bottle every year I think. Less frequently than that and you start to lose part of the deposit. It was really that last bit that put me off.
    Use another local ish supplier now, slightly better pricing and a genuine, no expiry, deposit scheme. Albeit at the edge of their area so deliveries are only once a week which can mean a wait.

All that said, I'd not heard anything bad about them (who must not be named) or their service until now. Shame they didn't get on board with the forum as it could've been a good relationship.

20. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

If it's the one other company I can think of, I've had one of their cylinders about five years. :whistle:

Advertisements