Daft VFD questions

1. Ali

Ali Member

I didn’t know I needed one until about 5 seconds ago...do I? Happy to share an order on RS if they have something suitable, I have a 15/24v output for a relay... :dontknow:

2. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Yeah... I think we're both looking for the same thing and missing the same point :)

My suspicion is that this is "3 wire control" and I'm hoping someone who can speak vfdish can help us both out...

Ali likes this.
  3. Ali

Ali Member

Nothing pertaining to that in my instructions, but my Chinglish isn’t too great.

skotl likes this.
  4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Mine too. I've just taken the rather radical step of emailing the supplier - my expectations are extremely low, but you never know!

My inner masochist is kind of hoping I need to go with the relay idea...

Ali likes this.
  5. RichardM Member

I am not sure these vfds have the circuitry to run braking resistors, you'd be best to check before buying.

skotl likes this.
  6. Ali

Ali Member

I don’t think it needs one on mine, there are programs to set a stopping time or emergency brake.

skotl likes this.
  7. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Use relays. It's what I did with mine. They're very small and very inexpensive and also act as a NVR.

skotl and Ali like this.
  8. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Yeah - mixed info (as ever!) on the two models. The image for the YL600 (the one I have) does not show a resistor, but the image for the YL620 does.
    But then the one I have does have the connector for the resistor :dontknow:

I'm probably imagining a problem that doesn't exist - I'll worry about it if the VFD starts showing over current/voltage on stopping.

daleyd likes this.
  9. Ali

Ali Member

More progress thanks to encouragement from @skotl - it now starts on the momentary button so no relay required. It was P50 = 3, keying operation, with a wire to X1. I can’t get it to stop at the moment though...

Is there any difference with a VFD between ‘stop’ and ‘emergency stop’? Would it be bad to use an ‘emergency stop’ function for general purpose stoppage?

skotl likes this.
  10. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Do you have a normally closed link that you would just remove (normally closed switch)?

11. Ali

Ali Member

Tried that, there’s no stopping it once it’s running. I’ll have to check your thread to see how yours is wired again.

I need to get my head around programming these multi function inputs, there are 5 options for X1 with 20 parameters to choose from, I’ve set P50 but can’t work out how to wire the others.

12. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

That's where I started but ended up doing a factory reset and then just setting the three wire control.

How many inputs do you have? On mine, having set three wire control it's:

X3 to common == not stop
    X4 to common == reverse, open == forward
    X5 touch to common == start

Pulling X3 open stops

Ali likes this.
  13. Ali

Ali Member

It seems that walking away for 24hrs and coming back to it does the trick with this (or me). Got it first attempt tonight...

Don’t know why it didn’t click but the post from @skotl gave me a clue. P50=X1, P51=X2 and so on... why couldn’t they just write that down?

Now I just need a momentary stop as my latching one is pointless.

skotl and daleyd like this.
  14. m_c Member

Braking resistor is only needed if you're trying to stop the motor too fast, which would trigger an overvoltage fault when trying to stop. On most VFDs all that means is the motor would simply coast to an uncontrolled stop if the fault is triggered, then probably need a VFD reboot to clear the fault (some VFDs may self reset, some may have a reset option, but most need a hard reboot).

My interpretation would be 'stop' brings the motor to a stop as per how the VFD is programmed, whereas 'emergency stop' will stop it far quicker (either via DC current injection, or ramping it down quicker, which may trigger an overvoltage freewheel if there's not braking resistor fitted).

skotl and Ali like this.
  15. Ali

Ali Member

Thanks, I’ll see how quick it stops under load and adjust if needed.

16. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Congrats - quite nice when it all comes together, huh?

I ordered a bunch of switches last night...

Ali likes this.
Advertisements