CV

1. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    a photo would guarantee me not even getting a interview

Brad93, indy4x, mtt.tr and 2 others like this.
  2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Is your work that bad? :laughing:

mtt.tr, slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  3. sako243

sako243 Member

Oh if only you had asked me or a couple of my colleagues! There was an internal competition entitled "Inspired at work", basically make a video about why you were inspired to work at BAES AI.

Lets just say ours wasn't the most politically correct nor on point but we did have sky-diving, mountain biking, high velocity rifles, a few explosions, some mild off-roading and a generous amount of ****-taking about the company. Buuut... after a closed panel selection we made it through to the final 6 for a public vote and then won it by a landslide and netted the 5 of us £600 towards a meal out :D and a cool laser etched glass trophy. Colleague thanked everyone in the department by putting together an outtakes reel...

It had been very tongue in cheek so prior to submitting it was emailed through to the head of the department to double check if it was OK to submit it. The response was "I'm sure it'll be fine". Couple of years later at some leaving drinks I was chatting to him and found out the true story. He'd been working from home that Friday and couldn't open the link with the video so thought - how bad can it be and sent the above email. When he came into the office on Monday he watched the video and "Oh, s***t. Well not much I can do now apart from diverting any fallout...". When it got through and went to the public vote he realised we could win and started promoting it hard :clapping:

indy4x, zx9 and Munkul like this.
  4. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

...and that sentence sums it all up. Its not what you know but who you know.

Best of luck @doubleboost

sako243, lchris21 and ukracer like this.
  5. earthman Member

I agree about paying them a visit in person, that actually worked for me twice over the years. May not work in say the city of London or at a huge corporate place where you can't even get through the door.

Good luck John, anyone who doesn't take you on must be mad I say, just look at what you have/can do on your YouTube channel,...you would be an asset to any company/business I feel.

Shox Dr and Parm like this.
  6. lchris21

lchris21 Member

That made me laugh and oh so true........trouble is, and its what I'm experiencing, even with tailored CV's, streamlining them, cover letters etc its still very difficult to get to the person making the decision. Recruitment agencies are a complete and utter waste of time, they have no clue what they are looking for and the company who employs their services are equally as guilty.......ive sat in-front of hiring managers, not very often over the last 14months LOL, and 9/10 they have somehow circumnavigated the weeding out process themselves as they shouldn't be doing the job !!!............They are obviously smart enough to get past the recruitment bots and b#####t their way into the job but then dont know what the hell they are looking for in new candidates.........:dontknow:

Shox Dr and Parm like this.
  7. earthman Member

Any mention of the threat of receiving the cane or slipper would indicate that you are indeed an 'old git' hey.:laughing:

mike os and Mr Roo like this.
  8. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Use quality paper for your CV, not the 500 sheets for a £1 stuff

Shox Dr, mtt.tr, Brad93 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Parm

Parm Let The Games Commence

don't even start me on recruitment agency's

10. Mr Roo Member

i’ve got three or four different cvs for different purposes. never really have trouble hearing back from jobs i’m suited to.

more than happy to send you a pro-forma one to put your own details in and then edit it into a “desirable” wordcount.

Never been one for flashy buzzwords in a CV; most employers can smell the horsedung from a mile off. It’s all about the keywords pertaining to the job:

“MIG, TIG, Aluminium, Stainless, Fabricating“ to the point and shows them what you can and can’t do

vs

“Undertook various complicated fabrication projects using exotic materials to sell for wonderifous amounts of money” - sounds ‘great’ but ultimately it’s all waffle.

slim_boy_fat, lchris21 and ukracer like this.
  11. ukracer Forum Supporter

He will need a bleep machine whilst he shows them. :)

earthman likes this.
  12. Mr Roo Member

YMMV. I’m signed up with several recruitment agencies because i simply don’t have time to jobhunt while i’m working.

most of them are clueless dafties who got a degree in a subject they weren’t passionate about and realised they didn’t want to do the job afterwards (or weren’t getting hired because a 2:1 where you don’t remember the basics isn’t the same as a 2:2 where you’re fully knowledgeable!) so took the first “good paying” job they could find.

occasionally you get someone who’s ended up in that field but has actually got a good network and understands both what you’re looking for and what the employer is looking for.

one recruiter in particular has been responsible for lining me up with several interviews, most of which have been ideally suited - although i’ve missed out due to lack of area-specific experience, or because they’ve promoted from within.

13. Mr Roo Member

my last job, contracting at £900/week for a local council - they admitted they picked me over other candidates because “you told us you used to run a strip club. if you can deal with drunken pervs and belligerent 20somethings then we’re fairly sure you’ll handle little Edna phoning to complain about the pothole outside her drive that’s not been fixed yet..!” Other candidates had similar-level CVs but no “dealing with grumpy punters” experience!

sako243, Munkul and ukracer like this.
  14. ukracer Forum Supporter

Interestingly I wondered the other day as to what I would be suited to do.....it came about as someone mentioned I jut my hand to anything but whilst that maybe true the way I work is too slow for many people. I often have to look things up..largely due to age and memory struggles. The thing was a few people became involved in the thread and a fair few mentioned I knew as much about a things as quite a few employed in their work place. Whereas I feel I find it a struggle to actually finish things and even if I feel that are proffesional enough I would not call myself commercially viable.
    We all know what John can do but what does he want to do and does he feel confident or is he staying in mechanics or looking for a change.
    If I were not retired now I would struggle to know where to jump........and could certainly not go back to my old job of a Firefighter. lol

Mr Roo likes this.
  15. daleyd

daleyd Member

Assuming your not applying for 00 status or top secret government agencies :rolleyes: 2 pages is probably about right for a technical CV.

First page - personal info, contact details and a brief intro about yourself and employment history.

Second page - expand into what (relevant) experiences you do have, list any quals/certs that are relevant to the job you are applying for. Put a short bit in about personal interests, some people might not think they are relevant but a short section wont do any harm, and if you have some shared interests with an interviewer then it gets you a foot in the door to start talking about stuff you/they enjoy - its a chance to strike up a rapport with them, away from the usual "interview" type stuff, which can be quite daunting if your not used to it.

My full CV could probably run to about 3-4 pages if I needed it to but as said above try and tailor it to what you are applying for.

Good luck, I can send you a copy of mine if you want to take a look for ideas about layout etc?:thumbup:

16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Or, what you know about who you know. ;)

Wallace, Shox Dr and Mr Roo like this.
  17. monky harris Member

Good luck ..:thumbup:

I hope you get off...:laughing:

Wallace and sako243 like this.
  18. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

:clapping::clapping:

19. brightspark

brightspark Member

come to think of it ive never done a cv I left school at the easter without telling them/ I went to a firm on the Saturday knowing there apprentice had just left for a better job and he said u start on Monday :laughing:I just chucked my report in the bin. wasn't worth looking at as the only thing I was top of the class was science woodwork and metalwork nowt else interested me :vsad:

20. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

2 pages max, name at the top, then the intro, where you live can be at the end its not really relevant, and if you get a reader who only reads 1 page you want as much to sell you as you can.

In the intro its basically a sales pitch to read the fine detail later.

Dont forget to ge in "transferable skills",not just your a mechanic but your people skills, sales and marketing ec.

Not an easy time to be on the move though, grass isnt always greener on the other side, often brown and sticky!

doubleboost and Parm like this.
Advertisements