concrete lathe, concrete milling machine and others

1. Robbie260 Member

Theres a concrete hull in a little sheltered inlet not far from tarbet on the isle of harris.

willie.macleod likes this.
  2. julianthegypsy Member

More than a few! It's an interesting place. They were sunk deliberately to protect the river bank and stop the river severn from breaking through to the Gloucester and sharpness canal.

3. gaz1

gaz1 Member

4. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Spoiled by the awful music.

5. rosinante

rosinante Member

Bits of Mulberry are still at Portland ,
    Chris

6. gaz1

gaz1 Member

as posted by another post user @Agroshield

https://osgalleries.org/journal/pdf_files/6.1/V6.1P25.pdf

According to Hine the first US planer was built by Ira and Zilba Gay in New Hampshire about 1830. Both sources agree that the bed of the first machines were made of stone and that the cast iron tables were finished by hand to a flat surface through the use of hammers, chisels and files

7. fizzy Member

uk
    That prompted me to do a bit of Googling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Roberts_(engineer)

Never heard of this chap but we owe him a lot - one of the inventors of the planer and also possible the first ever milling cutter amongst other things.

Here is a lathe he built - doesn't look out of place today - made in 1816!

[​IMG]

He has been described as the most important British mechanical engineer of the 19th century. According to biographer Richard Leslie Hills, his main contribution was the introduction of improved machine tools without which high standards of accuracy could not be achieved.[2] This laid the foundation of production engineering as we know it today, leading to the interchangeability of standard parts and so mass production.

Roberts Mechanism is named after him.

zx9 and gaz1 like this.
  8. R-D-R Forum Supporter

learn something new everyday, this has got me thinking for a project. I don't have a mill yet but want to make a few gadgets to sit on the ways of my lathe. I might 3d print some moulds of the lathe beds Ways pattern and form resin Feet to sit on the ways.

DAPPH and fizzy like this.
  9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

10. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

That is very cool.

11. fizzy Member

uk
  12. gaz1

gaz1 Member

1700/1 The planing machine was used to cut grooves and decorative patterns, including 'diamond' shapes, in knife handles made of ivory and other relatively soft materials. It embodied some features which would later be found in planing machines

JD_2020_btv1b86265636.JPEG

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Early_Planing_Machines

some of it has really been interesting, looking how to actually build one up out of other materials out there

13. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    Some of the early really big CNC mill & printers machines had round rails set in precision aligned post tops on massive larger than billiard table sized beds . I seem to recall reading about the exothermic heat generated and possible effect of the earths curvature having to be calculated for .. These guys were talking of a four foot plus thick bed

fizzy and 8ob like this.
  14. gaz1

gaz1 Member

Advertisements