COMPRESSOR HIRE

1. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I have the Clarke XET19 (4hp I believe) and it didn't struggle at all....but I wasn't using an air fed mask!

To be honest the compressor hardly kicked in at all when spraying the car....maybe once when we were doing the shell but it had absolutely no problem keeping up with the spray gun.

2. norsa

norsa old school painter

Can't understand why the vast difference, after all it's only positive pressure. Mine goes through a coalescing belt filter is all I can offer. Maybe they were over cautious about required air when it was made or maybe coalescing filters were very different.

3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Probably a silly question....but have you got 2 separate regulators for the gun and the mask ....or just a single regulator?

4. norsa

norsa old school painter

Have a fixed master reg on the wall. Mask has a fixed reg

5. carbon

carbon Member

The sperian/Honeywell mask claims 290l/m Max and think the Devilbiss mpv623 slightly less at 140l/m min even though they are pretty much the same mask as the filter housings and filter are identical except for colour

6. Dcal Member

I have 5hp of air, a 3 hp old belt drive and a horrible 2hp direct drive for when I need more air or want to annoy the neighbours.

I usually just wear safety glasses and the air attachment to a 3m 6000 series half mask.
    The 3hp can just keep up with a gti pro and a half mask.
    5hp struggled with the devilbiss / honeywell type and the same gun.
    I don't spray much or often (a full car is a big job to me) but I really like the half mask and no doubt I'll be told the amount of Iso being absorbed through my eyes and exposed skin is killing me.

A proper air fed half mask or a full face air fed mask (like the 3m and Scott ones) seal far better than the paint sprayers type, so will only use a fraction of the air the devilbiss type do. (I have both types but don't have the air hose for the Scott full face mask)
    The only problem I see with the full face types are the visor covers are about £5 each I've tried to make the devilbiss covers but it's a hash.

I think you can look at the different types of masks like this
    The paint sprayers type are like putting a pillow case over your head and connecting an air line to it.
    The half and full mask type are more like gaffer taping a plastic bag over your head with the same airline connected.
    As you can see one will use a "lot"less are than the other.

I have a range of filters too but all my air goes through one of the Chemo blaster's type breathable filters. It's has a foot long, charcoal type element and is cheaper to replace than the tiny charcoal elements in the 3m belts ( which I also have)
    So I just run everything for the workshop through it and change the element every 6 months or so.

I'm on a plane now but If it helps, I could post a few photos of the different types when I get home.

7. norsa

norsa old school painter

Maybe its time to upgrade the mask accordingly then. I have to be honest, over the 30 yrs ive been spraying iso professionaly and otherwise, I know for a fact ive had a few lung fulls of the stuff and absorbed quite a lot as well with no known issues that I know of but health and safety is there for the majority. Seldom see the americans with air fed.

8. I have a Sperian/Honeywell mask that uses a lot of air so put a secondary reg on its feed to reduce its usage as my two compressors (3hp and a 2hp) couldn't keep up with it and compliant gun.

Advertisements