COMPRESSOR HIRE

1. norsa

norsa old school painter

Hi all. Struggling somewhat for breath. Ive got two 3hp units 14cfm (probably not free air) running in my home workshop but they're struggling to give me what I need except for single panel work. To run gun and mask I could do with circa 28 cfm free. Now. I suspect this is too much to ask of ph and occasional work budget so I was wondering if anyone knows of a chain of tool hire in the saaf of uk who could hire me a suitable unit.
    Nick

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

a lot of hire places but not cheap you would have to hire a petrol one to get your required cfm probably

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Memmeddu likes this.
  3. That is going to be a big beast to transport and may have to be three phase.

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

5. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Best to rent a towable twin tool diesel compressor as all the rental firms have them in droves. All the road repair firms run them so prices are competitive. It’s a big old lump to tow though and expensive if stolen so keep well secured. And you’ll probably need to make an adaptor from 3/4” claw fitting to your chosen airline connector as it won’t have anything else on it.

brightspark likes this.
  6. brightspark

brightspark Member

you will have to have it delivered unless you have a ring and pin towbar

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

True, they always have a ring hitch.

8. norsa

norsa old school painter

Not looking too good is it. Thanks for the replies.

9. Any mileage in trying a LVLP gun to reduce demand? Some helmets are more frugal on air than others too.

I think in your case, I might try running the gun from one and the helmet from the other rather than combined. That way they should both run unless particularly hungry. Just means two sets of filters of course.

10. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I have a beaten up old road tow you can borrow on the understanding that if you lose,break or bend it you buy it.

Bob

11. brightspark

brightspark Member

so if it just jacks in due to old age your on a winner :whistle::laughing:

8ob, Jim Davey and Ashley Burton like this.
  12. norsa

norsa old school painter

Kind offer Bob.

13. brightspark

brightspark Member

buy another cheap compressor and run the 3. its a cheaper option than hiring

norsa likes this.
  14. norsa

norsa old school painter

I've got 6 top conventional guns and not sure I fancy learning nor investing new gear. I did wonder about 2 lines but again I'm used to the one line and flyer. There's always a danger of contact with full refinish with one line so 2 lines would be dangerous but thanks for the suggestions. When I ran my business, I had a beaut of a 3ph unit. Noisy but powerful.

15. RWD3M Member

Hi Norsa,

Not sure exactly what kit your using but my Clarke twin pump 28cfm is more than adequate to provide air for my conventional devilbiss gun (c10cfm) and full face air fed mask c7cfm). You don't have your pressures set too high do you?

Richard.

16. My compressor is similar and runs both perfectly well too.

17. carbon

carbon Member

I’m not sure what guns you have but would it be possible to use an air cap that uses less air. For example with a Devilbiss gti pro with an H1 air cap it uses approx 450 l/m compared to a T1 air cap that uses approx 280 l/m

18. norsa

norsa old school painter

I use Iwata conventional gravity for my top guns and I have a sagola suction which I used when I ran the business but had a large 3ph unit. The iwatas I set at 50psi then reduce to suit when setting the gun up so I don'tdont have a set pressure. Idont actually know the mask manufacturer, I bought it in the 80s but it has a set pressure reg on the belt. Again with the 3ph it would run the mask and Sagola all day long. As I say, the set up is fine for panel work but shells, it runs out of breath.
    Nick

19. norsa

norsa old school painter

Out of interest, I checked the box (0riginal) That the mask came in Still no manufacturers name I don't think but it clearly says in small print, this mask requires 21cfm. Do newer ones need less?

20. Very definitely. My 3M is under 10cfm.

Advertisements